Overlapping Footbal...

Notifications

Overlapping Football Season with Basketball Season  

RSS

dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
November 15, 2019 10:56 am  

I would like other coaches opinions on this situation.

We have our Superbowl on Saturday away at 4:30.

I have four of my players on the Middle School 7th Grade Basketball team and they have an away game Saturday as well at 10:30.

Three of the four players are Studs and are two way starters and special team players.  Two of those three are also studs on the Basketball team.

Do you guys think they should play in both games or just the Superbowl Only?

DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
November 15, 2019 11:36 am  

My son's hockey season overlaps with the whole football season.  He routinely plays both in a day.  During football season overlaps occur and football takes priority but at 13 he is more than capable of playing two and sometimes 3 games in a day.  Is stamina the question or potential injury?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 15, 2019 11:55 am  

I would like other coaches opinions on this situation.

We have our Superbowl on Saturday away at 4:30.

I have four of my players on the Middle School 7th Grade Basketball team and they have an away game Saturday as well at 10:30.

Three of the four players are Studs and are two way starters and special team players.  Two of those three are also studs on the Basketball team.

Do you guys think they should play in both games or just the Superbowl Only?

I'm having a tough time understanding the dilemma.  I have an opportunity to play in a season ending, Championship Game that I committed to playing prior to Basketball.  OR I have an early regular season Basketball game that could conflict with my previous commitment.  I know which way I would go. 

The REAL question is are they being pressured to play in both?  Of so by who?  Is it logistically possible to play in both?  We're talking 6 hours apart.    I had Kids Run Cross Country then come to Football Games.

Just Sayin

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
November 15, 2019 12:00 pm  

My guess is the concern lies in stamina and the fact that it is a championship game.

Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper
Texas
3rd - 5th
Head Coach
November 15, 2019 1:10 pm  

It's the world we live in today.  So many sports are year around now days.  If I demanded that all my kids committed to only football, I wouldn't have a team (and neither would a couple of baseball, basketball, and soccer teams).  Of my 18 players this season, 15 of them were also playing either baseball, basketball, or soccer at the same time.  If it is a direct conflict with football, ALL of them choose to be at football in the fall.  If they can make both games, they do that.  I have never really seen stamina as a major issue at the youth level.  I am not saying I agree with it, but it's the world we live in....and, I am a big fan of kids not "specializing" in any one sport at a young age.

-Chad

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
November 15, 2019 1:12 pm  

My concerns in order

Stamina
Concentration Level When they do get to Football Game
Injury

My position on this is obvious.  I believe the kids should only play in the Championship Game.

In my discussion today with the Middle School Basketball Coach he said he had talked to two other coaches who did not see "any problem at all" with the kids playing in both games.

He told me today the kids were going to play the full basketball game if they needed them. 

This is after sending me this text in response to a text I sent him asking him to reschedule the basketball game or hold out my players:

"The players will be excused from Saturday's game with no consequences.  I will make sure to relay this to them today."

In our conversation today he said he incorrectly thought the games were at the same time and the players HAD to choose one or the other.

I wondered if I am in the minority on this issue.

Like Dusty Said "a Championship Game vs a early Regular season Game" would seem an easy pick for me.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
November 15, 2019 1:20 pm  

I am only talking about this issue:

The Super Bowl vs a Regular Early Season Basketball Game.

We are a Small School also-we are AAA where in Georgia it goes all the way to AAAAAAA-so most of our kids are multi sport kids.

But I know this.

Tonight we start High School Football Playoffs.  If we also had a Wrestling Meet this afternoon,  None of our Football players who are also wrestlers would have a tough decision -they would only be at the Playoff Football Game.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 15, 2019 3:34 pm  

I understand everyones concerns.  These are young boys.  More stamina than a Heard Of Monster Energy Drinks! 

Let them do both! 

Everyone wins......

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
(@_53_)
Copper
November 16, 2019 3:56 am  

Should be the School's principal or AD call. They should have already had a policy in place so this doesn't become an issue. 

At my school, they'd miss the basketball game and play the football game.

ReplyQuote
Share: