Perfect Example of ...

Notifications

Perfect Example of Bad Coaching  

RSS

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
February 24, 2020 2:57 pm  

This guy isn't dumb (NFL veteran no less), but his intelligence is working against him right here. You don't have to be intelligent to teach football because it's not what you know, it's what they know. This is the type of stuff I think a lot of coaches don't get. Watch the video, but notice how long it takes for the eyes to wonder. I think it happens before the video even starts. The middle kid in the white hat looks at the camera at 0:04, and I think he's only getting about a fifth of what is being said. The kid on the right side checks out what is going on behind him. They're bored and they're standing still.

I would much rather prefer short, concise sentences, catchphrases even, that get to the point and direct action. If you're teaching blocking you might say something like, "Get your head in the hole." And you might point to the hole and move his head into the proper side. Then you might say something like, "The hole is here, so you get your head in the hole and block outward." The next kid will inevitably to the exact same thing, and you will say it again. I've said 26 words here, and I spent about 10 seconds talking and pointing, but it was about 3 times more effective because it was 1 on 1 teaching, and better than that, the kids are actually doing the thing I'm trying to teach them. So this guy has to do the exact same thing eventually if he actually wants to get results.

Finally, there's an emotional aspect to it. People give those speeches because they want to. It makes them feel important to show off the football knowledge. They might deny it, but that's a big reason people coach at all. If their goal was to conserve time or laziness or just to get out of there this speech would be a lot shorter.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

Lunchbox liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 24, 2020 9:20 pm  
Posted by: @coach-kyle

notice how long it takes for the eyes to wonder. I think it happens before the video even starts. The middle kid in the white hat looks at the camera at 0:04, and I think he's only getting about a fifth of what is being said. The kid on the right side checks out what is going on behind him. They're bored and they're standing still.

--I think any time you coach fast with this much information you're going to lose player's interest.  There's a lot of talk, not so much demo and points raised that either don't need to be raised ("You guys've heard the term, near foot, near shoulder?"  He doesn't teach that.)  Then don't waste time to discuss what you don't teach.  Talk about what you do;  football phrase-ology ("We're going to dig this guy out") that shouldn't be used in the teaching phase because he's making the assumption that every player already understands that term.  In addition, he's a USA Football guy (I've heard him speak in person) and I hate, hate, hate the way he teaches blocking (slow my body upon approach, turn my body and make myself half as wide).   Although he makes a very good point about why he doesn't teach hands blocking ("We can't use our hands here because it's too violent of an impact.")   Some aspects are ridiculously over-detailed ("this toe through the V of his neck," as if any player is ever going to align their toe at the point of impact.)

Finally, there's an emotional aspect to it. People give those speeches because they want to. It makes them feel important to show off the football knowledge. They might deny it, but that's a big reason people coach at all. If their goal was to conserve time or laziness or just to get out of there this speech would be a lot shorter.

--Well I'm not going to guess his motivation for doing what he does.  I can only say that I don't agree with the USA Football approach to blocking (or tackling), that he gives too much information as if everything he says is equally important; He should understand that players learn more by doing than standing around watching someone else do it.  Is he the worst I've seen?  No, far from it.  Is this the most common approach I see during instruction?  Yes.  Do I believe it's the most effective?  No, but I think it's sad that this is the best that USA Football can come up with.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 25, 2020 10:41 pm  

You guys have missed the context.  He's not coaching.  This is a coaching clinic.  What he's saying is perfectly reasonable explaining things to coaches.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 26, 2020 12:53 am  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

What he's saying is perfectly reasonable explaining things to coaches.

Not really, but go ahead and continue, Bob.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 26, 2020 12:54 am  

He's not coaching.  This is a coaching clinic.

🤔

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 26, 2020 11:55 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

--Dave

Is that not the intended audience?  Or are you saying that even if that is the intended audience, what he's saying isn't perfectly reasonable?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 26, 2020 12:07 pm  

Or are you saying that even if that is the intended audience, what he's saying isn't perfectly reasonable?

I see kids.  And I've identified what I didn't like about his clinic.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 26, 2020 12:13 pm  

Doesn't anyone find it funny he is coaching in shoulder pads?

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 26, 2020 12:23 pm  

Or are you saying that even if that is the intended audience, what he's saying isn't perfectly reasonable?

I see kids.  And I've identified what I didn't like about his clinic.

Don't they commonly use kids in coaching clinics and videos? And considering they've simply volunteered to be used in this video, isn't it to be expected that some of them would be bored?

And does the mere fact that you disagree with what he's saying make it less than perfectly reasonable?  I disagree with a lot of coaching stuff I see, but it's still plausible, hence reasonable to say.

Did anybody else looking at this clip think the reason the coach was talking was to coach the kids who were there?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 26, 2020 1:46 pm  
Posted by: @mhcoach

Doesn't anyone find it funny he is coaching in shoulder pads?

Every season, I think about buying a set of shoulder pads, a helmet and an adult-sized jersey. The plan would be to set these pads with the rest of the practice gear and explain that it's "in case one of  us coaches needs to demo a technique". Just curious to see who "that guy" is because I'm certain nearly every coaching staff has one.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 26, 2020 4:52 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Back when I was younger & a total madman, I would grab a helmet & demonstrate pass blocking. I'd pick the biggest baddest DL we had & then thump him. I could do it for 1 rep, because they would never go full speed & expect to be thumped. In retrospect it was one of the stupidest things I ever did.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
February 26, 2020 5:12 pm  

@mhcoach 

I completely agree. Once I sort of did a sumo drill with a middle schooler who was bigger than me. Neither of us had pads on, and I felt like I was being careful. I tried maybe 50% of full strength. Regardless I immediately realized how stupid it was. Had he been hurt I would have been sued for all kinds of damages and obviously it would have been the end of that coaching season. Plus if he had hurt me I would have still been in trouble. 

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 26, 2020 7:58 pm  

@coach-kyle

Yeah, mine was 15-16 y/o's. Even though now I am known as a QB guy, when I played I was an OG. Of course back then it was different. Today I would go to jail for something like that.

Joe

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
March 14, 2020 7:23 pm  

--Dave

Is that not the intended audience?  Or are you saying that even if that is the intended audience, what he's saying isn't perfectly reasonable?

I'm sorry, I fell asleep while he was talking...

I think that's the point everyone is trying to make. He isn't capturing anyone's interest -- kids or coaches. I feel like he'd be better off explaining what he was going to do and then doing it. After running through it a few times, he can worry about some of the finer details.

Full disclosure: this is how I teach people software development. As CoachDP correctly points out, you can learn a lot more by doing than by watching.

P.S. - I mean no disrespect to the coach in the video or to those agreeing with his approach. I'm merely trying to explain how I think he should do it better... much like the helpful responses I've received about my posts in the last year.

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
Share: