PI$$ED off and goin...

Notifications
Clear all

PI$$ED off and going to a Meeting tonight

Page 4 / 4

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

actually no, the recorder was off. I just was holding it in my hand.

And yet, you said:

I have this little recorder that I use for meetings such as this, so I can go back and review stuff, I had it running for the entire time.

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Legal or not...wow dude.

--Dave

Really?  Why is this a big deal?  Was the conversation prefaced with "this is in confidence"?  Do people want the option to deny they said something?  I don't get the big deal.  People in authority may have to discuss things in confidence but they should be the ones assuring this - not others.  If they're talking to someone in a general conversation they are apt to be quoted or recorded.  Hell, quote me, record me, etc.  I'm not going to hide what I said.   

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Do people want the option to deny they said something?

No, not to deny.  But certainly to be able to choose what they want to say and how they want to say it if they know the information is being recorded and could be shared.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I see both sides of the recording issue. Most meetings like this that I’ve been to had a scribe or recorder. What is said in there becomes a record for the membership. However, I agree that it should be clear to everyone that the meeting is being recorded.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

Is the OP the header or an AC ? Mentions another coach who sits around and laughs when the kids are performing poorly in practice but doesn’t mention if he fired that coach, which makes me think he is an AC. Please clarify.

Either way. Sounds like the culture and structure of this team is lacking. Why are kids going to other teams? Why are kids who are supposed to be playing on this team electing to play up a level? It is easy to blame others for rule violations, which happen in every league out there, but hard to self reflect and ask why kids don’t want to play for the team they are supposed to be on. What’s the teams record the past 3-4 years ? At what point does the OP hold himself accountable for any issues ? Adapt and overcome or keep blaming others. Be the example. Play by the rules and build something kids want to be apart of.

Blame laid on opposing coaches, kids playing up, the cop that pulled you over  .... excuses made for recording conversations and being called out for it. I use a recorder almost daily at work. Can’t recall a time where I didn’t let someone know, whether I was required to or not, that it was being used. I find it hard to believe that you recorded the entire meeting but had it off while you were holding it in your hand and talking to someone in private. Seems shady, seems like you are picking a fight but not holding yourself accountable to why kids don’t want to play for your team.

Build something they want to be apart of instead of complaining when kids want to leave. If they still want to leave let them go and keep building.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Build something they want to be apart of instead of complaining when kids want to leave.

At my first football meeting this season (for JV players only), we had six players attend.  We shook hands, posed for pics, kissed babies and spoke with parents.  Basically did everything I know how to do to get kids to come out.  And yes, I told them that we were going to win.  We went from 6 kids at that first meeting to 8, then 12, then 14.  Every week, the numbers grew where we were up to 24 by the end of spring practice.  We have 37 on the active roster; more if you count the injured players.  I can't control how attractive the other schools are, but I can make mine seem as appealing as possible.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Tim McDaniel
(@big-mac)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Now, As I stated, I do not have anything recorded after I walked out of the building, I had hit the stop button, the power was still on, but it was NOT recording anything.

Yes, I am the Head Coach, however the Leisure Services does not allow you to "fire" assistant Coaches, unless they just quit showing up.

Every kid last night at the banquet said that they wanted to play football again, So that is 14 that wants to come back and play.

At this point I don't think it really matters a lot. I was told by one of my parents that I consider a "insider" the Coach and the Director are meeting this week and for next year for this age group they are planning a way to limit the registrations ("sorry there is a waiting list")and combine the teams. This way this coach can finally win his championship, even though there will probably be 20 or 30 kids who wont get to play... in their eyes and in some of the other coaches present at that meeting, one that I talked with yesterday actually said "Well, they are just bodies, you have to have athletes". While I agree that not everyone is made to play football, you never can tell how a kid can develop if he has a love for the game. A all star at 8, might not even want to play at 14, while that heavy set kid might be the next Hershel Walker.

My season is over, the Banquet is done, I will catch up with ya'll in January before the Glazier Clinic.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

And yet, you said:

The way I read it, it was two different conversations.  Had the recorder on for the meeting, but off after the meeting when the confrontation happened. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

A all star at 8, might not even want to play at 14, while that heavy set kid might be the next Hershel Walker.

I get what you're saying but regardless of whether he's a future Herschel or a future Fat Freddy, if he wants to be out there then he deserves everything you can give him as a coach.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Am I the only one who would take those 20-30 kids and start my own team in a heartbeat?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

Am I the only one who would take those 20-30 kids and start my own team in a heartbeat?

Nope. Count me in as well.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

The problem is it is not always that easy. You have to have a place to play too.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

The problem is it is not always that easy. You have to have a place to play too.

Correct

If you decide to go off on your own you need:
A league that is willing and able to accept your team- and a league that fits into the vision you are selling (crappy league means parents bolt)= Something that is well run, ethical and fits your travel limits ( parents arent following if you have to travel 3 hours round trip every week). MANY leagues will not take a one off team- they require a full set of 3-6 teams. . Many Leagues will not take a break off- they want to support their existing programs. AND when you only have one team- you lose a lot of families that have older and younger brothers- parents dont like going to 2 different practice venues.

Practice and game fields- If are are tied to a school and you decide to break away- the school may very well not allow you to practice or play on their fields- happens all the time
Most leagues require you to have a home field with a minimum standard for bathrooms, concessions etc. Here if you don't have a stadium to play in- you wont be accepted into the league.

Equipment and financing- Not an issue for some, but an issue for many. Buying new gear for 25-30 along with all the bags etc- will run you about $10,000. Then you will have insurance, league, field rent and legal fees on top of that you would be in the $13,000 to $16,000 range. In most places you are only going to recover a small fraction of that in player fees.

Coaches and leadership- the most important factor. Will the people you need follow? If not do you have others who can do the job?

Can it be done? Yep- but not always and in some places next to impossible

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: