Platoon Problems

Notifications

Platoon Problems  

RSS

jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
September 25, 2017 7:36 pm  

For once I actually have the luxury to platoon players. I have enough kids at a high enough ability to just play them one way. I have communicated to my players that my goal is to play as many kids as possible and keep them as fresh as possible to benefit the team.  The problem is I have kids that have been used to playing every down of a game now getting upset that they're not getting enough game time. On the flip side I have kids that are stoked because they're actually getting in games. 

Have you ever had to deal with this, and how did it turn out ?  A couple have threatened to quit but I don't think they are really  serious.  This kind of selfish attitude drives me nuts!  I know many on the boards would say cut them loose, but i am hoping that they will seet the light.

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 25, 2017 8:20 pm  

First of all, are kids upset and threatening to quit, or are parents upset and threatening to pull their kids?

If they are threatening, I wouldn't take it seriously. You're halfway through the season with no where else to go. If they quit, they go to zero playing time. Once they hit 6th grade/12U, the every down guys will start to appreciate platooning. At that age, playing every down starts to hurt.

I don't know about cutting them loose. I've never coached in a league that gave coaches the option of kicking a kid off the team. That's usually a board decision. However, I personally wouldn't bend over backward to keep them around. Team first. I'm not ever going to debate the best football strategy or tactic with an 11 year old.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 25, 2017 8:35 pm  

I don't have a problem with platooning but I think kids should play both ways. I understand that some kids really prefer one side of the ball or the other. Some even have a really clear strength on one side. I still think our job is to develop players.

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
September 25, 2017 9:02 pm  

The complaints came from parents speaking on the behalf of their kids which is why I am not taking it too seriously.  The kids hound me during games to put them in and I remind them why we are platooning.  I have also asked them who I should take play time away from so they can have more.  They usually stop at that point.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 26, 2017 6:01 am  

Winning is the best deoderant

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 26, 2017 7:16 am  

The complaints came from parents speaking on the behalf of their kids which is why I am not taking it too seriously.  The kids hound me during games to put them in and I remind them why we are platooning.  I have also asked them who I should take play time away from so they can have more.  They usually stop at that point.

Common problem with a youth team that platoons.

My response to these Agents...

OK since you are being selfish and making this about you....you go over there and tell John's parents that you want your son taking all of John's playing time.

Crickets.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
September 26, 2017 11:15 am  

I don't have a problem with platooning but I think kids should play both ways. I understand that some kids really prefer one side of the ball or the other. Some even have a really clear strength on one side. I still think our job is to develop players.

Agreed.  Perhaps they can play one side of the ball each half.  We did this in about 80% of our games.  Once we got in the playoffs, we stopped and put everyone where they could help us the most.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
September 28, 2017 4:59 pm  

For once I actually have the luxury to platoon players. I have enough kids at a high enough ability to just play them one way. I have communicated to my players that my goal is to play as many kids as possible and keep them as fresh as possible to benefit the team.  The problem is I have kids that have been used to playing every down of a game now getting upset that they're not getting enough game time. On the flip side I have kids that are stoked because they're actually getting in games. 

Have you ever had to deal with this, and how did it turn out ?  A couple have threatened to quit but I don't think they are really  serious.  This kind of selfish attitude drives me nuts!  I know many on the boards would say cut them loose, but i am hoping that they will seet the light.

Coach, could you share how you are breaking up the roster?And how many players and coaches do you have?  I couldn't even talk my HC into postponing in high school.  I'd definitely do it in youth if I had decent numbers.  Kudos to you for playing a lot of kids.

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
September 28, 2017 7:43 pm  

To be honest it is not a full team platoon, just my position group (o/d line).  9 positions, 9 starters with about 4 more that are strictly back up.  It has really helped us come 4th quarter.

ReplyQuote
Share: