Notifications
Clear all

PLAY NAMING

Page 2 / 5

Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thankfully all the coaches in our org like to talk football and like to debate the pros and cons, so I feel comfortable bringing up ideas to them.

The whole idea was to have blocking specific tags that are only used for blocking. So yes everything after the number is for the oline. It is only one word that is not used for anything else. What I ment was one word play names mean more for the oline to learn. Right now our entire playbook can be ran with 14 blocking schemes. 6 blocking schemes to run the core belly, down, and buck.

ReplyQuote
Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper
Topic starter  

Yes,traditional Delaware wing t.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

if you were changing from a back kicking out a DE, to the TE tunnel blocking it, that would be different

For us, if the Fullback is making his defacto kick-out, we don't tag it as such because that is simply his default action in our base play.  If the TE is going to double-team with the Fullback in the kick out, we will tag it as "Double."  If they are switching blocking responsibilities, we call it "Swap."

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

I think you can teach kids of all age that if you are on the line, the last word of the play call is what your blocking scheme is. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Thankfully all the coaches in our org like to talk football and like to debate the pros and cons, so I feel comfortable bringing up ideas to them.

I like talking football.  I don't like someone else's approach being dictated to me.  No more than I would want to dictate my approach to you.  Don't like the wrist-coach idea?  Fine!  Only want to have 1-word play calls?  Great!  Would rather use States than Colors to identify your plays?  Wonderful!  Think your QB should call your plays at the line of scrimmage?  Excellent!  If you're having success with your way, then that's what you should do. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I think you can teach kids of all age that if you are on the line, the last word of the play call is what your blocking scheme is.

Bingo. ^ I know it can be done; unless my players have been faking it for three decades now.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper
Topic starter  

I agree.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

For us, if the Fullback is making his defacto kick-out, we don't tag it as such because that is simply his default action in our base play.  If the TE is going to double-team with the Fullback in the kick out, we will tag it as "Double."  If they are switching blocking responsibilities, we call it "Swap."

--Dave

No, we would not tag the base blocking scheme either.  Only if something is different from the base scheme.  My FB is almost always a better blocker than the TE, if that DE is not particularly overwhelming, and I want to have my TE make that block and get my FB up to 2nd level to get a better blocker there, I would tag the tunnel then.  or If that DE is eating up that kickout, I could tag double like you would... or something else 🙂

ReplyQuote
Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper
Topic starter  

Dave. If the org you were joining said we run the wing t here from top to bottom. Would you still run something else?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We teach our offense to Wedge, Trap, Iso (Part), Power, Reach, Base, Down, G, Cross, Hinge, Gate, All, Forklift and Crack.  We teach them a rule-based progression (G.O.D., M.O.M.A., etc.) We also teach "Double," "Swap" and "Switch" tags. We've deleted the Superman/Shoeshine calls.  Roger (RG, RT, RE) and Larry (LG, LT, LE) are our designates.  If you hear your "name" called, then you are pulling.  If you don't hear your "name" called, or a Tag, then block your Rule.  So if your Rule is "Gap/On/Down," but you hear "Loose Right, Lee-O, 22 Wedge" then you know you are Wedge-blocking, not blocking your Rule.  If you are the Left Guard ("Larry") and your Rule is "Gap/On/Down," and you hear "Lucy, Ray-Orbit, 45 Roger-All" then block your Rule, because you didn't hear your "name" called.  The key is the players understanding the language and being able to demonstrate it.  I use a lot of Q&A with my linemen: ("What if I said, 'Roger' what would you do?" "What if I said, 'Ray, 45-Toss, Roger' what would you do?"  "What if I said, 'Larry-Trap,' what would you do?"  "What if I said, 'Lee, 25-Counter, Larry-Trap' what would you do?")  And then you layer the order of your install and teaching progression, and then repetition.  This can all be taught at the youngest levels (7-9) because I've done so.  The reason many claim it can't is usually because the dad who's responsible for coaching line, really isn't coaching at all.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Dave. If the org you were joining said we run the wing t here from top to bottom. Would you still run something else?

Shark, since I would only run the Double Wing, your org wouldn't let me coach with them. And if they did make a "special-allowance for Dave," I'm sure they'd have issues with the way I do some things/most things/everything else.  So I'd likely be a one-and-done, if I ever made it through Year 1.

However, since your org is a Wing-T org and I have NO IDEA of anything in regards to the Wing-T (especially terminology), that probably renders all of my posts in this thread as meaningless, anyway.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Sharkbait
(@sharkbait)
Copper
Topic starter  

I guess my big goal is to develop a current playbook with consistent language to give to new coaches and assistants.  I realize that the coaches that have been there for 10,15, 20 years are gonna call the plays the way they always call them.  One of the big problems I see at the youth level is the lack of knowledgeable assistant coaches. If I was able to hand a PDF playboik with consistent terminology, I think it would be able to get more quality help out of the assistant's. When I started they told me the offense and I scraped together some crudely drawn plays they had and I was off and running. So I started doing my research and asking COACH JC every day questions about how to run the offense. I just thought it would be a great tool to have the info in one place to hand out to whoever wanted it. I felt it was really hard having only 2 coaches who were up to speed with the offense and 5 bag holders. Next season it would be great to have more like 5 coaches and 2 bag holders, hopefully.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

Shark, since I would only run the Double Wing, your org wouldn't let me coach with them. And if they did make a "special-allowance for Dave," I'm sure they'd have issues with the way I do some things/most things/everything else.  So I'd likely be a one-and-done, if I ever made it through Year 1.

However, since your org is a Wing-T org and I have NO IDEA of anything in regards to the Wing-T (especially terminology), that probably renders all of my posts in this thread as meaningless, anyway.

--Dave

Until you crack the top 5 of days spent on Dumcoach, I don't think you deserve special allowances  ;D

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze

I guess my big goal is to develop a current playbook with consistent language to give to new coaches and assistants.  I realize that the coaches that have been there for 10,15, 20 years are gonna call the plays the way they always call them.  One of the big problems I see at the youth level is the lack of knowledgeable assistant coaches. If I was able to hand a PDF playboik with consistent terminology, I think it would be able to get more quality help out of the assistant's. When I started they told me the offense and I scraped together some crudely drawn plays they had and I was off and running. So I started doing my research and asking COACH JC every day questions about how to run the offense. I just thought it would be a great tool to have the info in one place to hand out to whoever wanted it. I felt it was really hard having only 2 coaches who were up to speed with the offense and 5 bag holders. Next season it would be great to have more like 5 coaches and 2 bag holders, hopefully.

I solve this by having coaching meetings every week and before the season.  If they don't want to come to the meetings, they don't get to be a coach.  I draw a hard line in the sand.  I have parents for bag holders.

- Ray

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I guess my big goal is to develop a current playbook with consistent language to give to new coaches and assistants.

--Why would you do that?

I realize that the coaches that have been there for 10,15, 20 years are gonna call the plays the way they always call them.

--Yes, exactly.  SO WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? lol

One of the big problems I see at the youth level is the lack of knowledgeable assistant coaches.

--1000% agree.  But I don't see your endeavor as having anything to do with resolving that.  I think you're fighting a losing battle [see your quote in red] and your time is better spent elsewhere.  How did your team do, by the way?  Even if you went undefeated, it's unlikely the others in your org want your help.

If I was able to hand a PDF playboik with consistent terminology, I think it would be able to get more quality help out of the assistant's.

--I get it.  I've been there.  It's been discussed in our org and on this forum (ad nauseam).  A book, pamphlet, seminar, clinic, etc. can only help those who are already motivated.  I completely understand what you're saying, and if you're that passionate about it, then rock on.  But, if you're asking for opines... I think you're making a common mistake of younger, newer coaches that you're assuming that everyone wants to learn (they don't), that everyone has the desire to be good (they don't), that everyone thinks they can always learn and get better (they don't).  Most believe they already know enough/that it's only youth football/and that you're a nut.

I started doing my research and asking COACH JC every day questions about how to run the offense.

--And that was a great call on your part.  At least you got hooked up with someone who knows what they're doing.

I just thought it would be a great tool to have the info in one place to hand out to whoever wanted it.

--Then make one for your team and your staff.  Then hand it out to other coaches at your next meeting.  They'll either say, "Hey, this is a great idea!  Why didn't we do this years ago?"  Or, they'll say, "Meh...uh, thanks..." And that'll be the end of it.

I felt it was really hard having only 2 coaches who were up to speed with the offense and 5 bag holders.

--Then make a playbook/manual for YOUR TEAM.  If it's that good and well-received, the other coaches will either want to start doing it themselves, or want a copy of yours.  The best help is offered, not forced.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: