Clear all

Player Evaluation - Is it to soon?

Page 1 / 2

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Afternoon Coaches.

So we are in day two of practice with 36 kids and our organization is still trying to determine if we will split or stay as one team. Right now we are having a bit of a HC crisis as the current HC will be standing down if there is only one team, but that means he is currently still the HC at the moment. We do have a roster of 6 coaches, for what its worth.

With that said, I am trying to convince everyone to work through the Heads up tackle progressions and explain the why's and how's of stances and tackling so they better understand the drills and why we do them. However, everyone else seems set on putting kids in positions and getting them practicing on indy's. While I don't agree with this at the 7-8 level (this early), I am trying to find out if this is to early to push the evaluation process so we don't make mistakes and misplace kids early on. I will be using Gregory's evaluation sheet and drills, as I feel it is a proven system and should greatly help with placement and parental concerns.  My other option is to try and get them to avoid seperating the kids tonight and hope we either split or I am able to step into the HC roll tomorrow. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze

Yes it is too early.

Definitely push to split teams.

What are Minimum Play Rules in your org or league?

What is the length of your Quarters?

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I'm not sure how you can split kids into position/indi groups without an evaluation process. Start that now...coaches are "evaluating" players every second whether it's an "official" evaluation or not.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

8-10 plays for MPP. Right now no chance to split unless we hit 40 (Presidents Call). Quarters are 10 mins.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

We evaluate on day 1- position groups in day 2

Before we move to position groups EVERYONE today will be doing our tackling progressions in stations
Something a bit different for us

We also didnt waste time teaching stance/cadence/ball get offs and Angle Form tackling in dynamic warm ups
We just did JJ and a high knees- no stance
We had stations for angle form, stance/cadence/ball get offs day 1 of practice

We did this because we have SO MANY rookie 3rd grade kids
Otherwise our warm ups would go too long and our best coaches wouldnt be teaching the kids who need the help the most- like we do when the kids are in stations

You can do both- they arent mutually exclusive

Effective AND efficient is the goal

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

8-10 plays for MPP. Right now no chance to split unless we hit 40 (Presidents Call). Quarters are 10 mins.

All the more reason to get your evaluations done ASAP. You have WAY too many kids to coach...you can't afford to waste any time.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Right now no chance to split unless we hit 40 (Presidents Call).

Safe bet that is the reason that the HC is going to quit if there is only 1 team.  Not fair to the kids.

It is about the ABC's - Always Be Evaluating  ???

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

The HC is also the equipment manager for the organization. Unfortunately that got dropped on him after he was voted in for HC as he was the EM last year as well. If we split, he is going to try and manage EM and the E1 team. With one team, he was happy to step down to make time for equipment.

Sound fundamentals was my goal early on, and now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how I am going to manage this many kids and get them all taught up. The good thing is we have the AC's to do it, just need a very sound and efficient practice plan. Here's to trial by fire. Thank God for this forum  ;D

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I am trying to find out if this is to early to push the evaluation process so we don't make mistakes and misplace kids early on.

I/we ALWAYS make mistakes and misplace kids early on, in the middle of the season and even toward the end. This is whether I've used Gregory's sheet/drills (I have), Deer Hunter/Hawaiian rules football, King of the Boards, Sumo, towel fight . . . I always get it "wrong" and that's okay most of the time. You have a group of kids and you have your systems. This isn't like a puzzle where every piece has its perfect place. You can get into the math of the combinations and permutations, but you end up placing the kids where they as a group have the most success.

What would be more concerning to me is that the coaches don't seem to be pulling in the same direction. As soon as the announcement is made and there is one clear cut leader, that leader needs to lay down the law.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

What would be more concerning to me is that the coaches don't seem to be pulling in the same direction. As soon as the announcement is made and there is one clear cut leader, that leader needs to lay down the law.

This has been my biggest concern leading up to the first practice. Football and coaching is all about philosophy, expectations and routine at this age. The sooner they know the who, what, when, where and why, the easier the how becomes. Even if we split or I become the HC come next Tuesday, I now have to make modifications to what the kids and coaches expectations are now after two days.

Not that this will be a problem, as I tend to err on the side of CoachDP when it comes to doing things the way I believe will work. Abrasive much...  😉

Looking forward to getting an answer so that we can move forward and do what were all here to do. Teach these kids the game of football.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

This has been my biggest concern leading up to the first practice. Football and coaching is all about philosophy, expectations and routine at this age. The sooner they know the who, what, when, where and why, the easier the how becomes. Even if we split or I become the HC come next Tuesday, I now have to make modifications to what the kids and coaches expectations are now after two days.

Not that this will be a problem, as I tend to err on the side of CoachDP when it comes to doing things the way I believe will work. Abrasive much...  😉

Looking forward to getting an answer so that we can move forward and do what were all here to do. Teach these kids the game of football.

Better late than never. Cards have already been dealt. We're with about the same age level: 2nd graders. Our org has about the same number of kids. We're at about 20 and I think the other team is about the same. We have 2 new (to us) coaches, but our core has been together awhile and we have the same core beliefs/philosophies. We also have a dad who asked to help, but I didn't see him last night. We encourage new ideas from the new coaches and as long as these ideas dovetail with the big picture, we'll try them out.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd be taking the same approach. Get on board or watch from the stands. It takes years to build trust among coaches and the egos that come with them.

Where are your numbers now?
Do you prefer a split, or being the HC of a team in the high 30's?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We’re at 36 last I knew and need 40 to split. I think I’d prefer a split as I feel it would be in the best interest of the kids.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I/we ALWAYS make mistakes and misplace kids early on, in the middle of the season and even toward the end.

Agree, agree.  Me too.  Not a biggie; but when you only have 3 weeks to decide....

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

everyone else seems set on putting kids in positions and getting them practicing on indy's. While I don't agree with this at the 7-8 level (this early)

--I don't agree with it at any level, but so many coaches are scared that they've got to hurry and "get their scheme in."  If they really knew their scheme, then they wouldn't be in such a hurry.

I am trying to find out if this is to early to push the evaluation process so we don't make mistakes and misplace kids early on. I will be using Gregory's evaluation sheet and drills, as I feel it is a proven system and should greatly help with placement and parental concerns. 

--The lone voice of reason in the wilderness.

My other option is to try and get them to avoid seperating the kids tonight and hope we either split or I am able to step into the HC roll tomorrow. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

--Step up, Brian.  Here's your shot.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Agree, agree.  Me too.  Not a biggie; but when you only have 3 weeks to decide....

--Dave

I haven't had a season yet where I didn't misplace a few kids in the beginning.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: