Notifications
Clear all

Playoff time

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Our league starts playoffs tomorrow.  During the week I gave some insight to newer coaches and thought a thread might help others here. 

1. Blocking and tackling 

- not a return to basics thought, but a reminder that these basics are what normally will cost you games in post season.  Perhaps a harder emphasis on proper technique and physicallity is needed. 

2. Don't over scout

- both your team and the opposition likely has a trick or two up there sleeve.  Don't spend too much time on your own tricks and rather focus on what got you into the playoffs. New plays take time and time management seperates teams.  Create your scouting plan and be sound, don't over prepare and miss a simple detail in your own scheme. 

3. Rest 

- don't beat your players up, they're already in good football shape, no need to run them into the ground or do a lot of full contact.  If anything back down in one aspect each day, have your team fresh for game day mind and body.  

4. Special teams 

- easy way to seperate yourself from a top seed let's say is best them in special teams.  I consider any 4th down play a special team.  Have plays ready for 4th n short, medium, and long.  If you punt emphasize coverage and kick placement.  Kick offs and returns are the same, maybe a small wrinkle added for a momentum shift when needed. 

5.  Game day is for the players 

- game day is for players to play and coaches to motivate.  Yes the coach has to scheme but don't let that over shadow the importance of a well motivated player.  Players win games not schemes. 

Good luck to everyone in the post season, feel free to add to the list. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Seth54, Bill03 and Coyote liked
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Posted by: @bucksweep58

1. Blocking and tackling 

- not a return to basics thought, but a reminder that these basics are what normally will cost you games in post season.  Perhaps a harder emphasis on proper technique and physicallity is needed. 

We find that about mid-season we need to go back to Day One stuff, kids start getting sloppy. 

Good thoughts, Thanx

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Share: