Notifications
Clear all

Pop Warner Championship Games

Page 1 / 8

RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Quarterfinals start tommorow on ESPN3(online) or through the Watch ESPN app.

This weekends lineup:

12/06 10:30 AM EST Watchung Hills Wolverines (NJ) vs. Kelso Hollanders (WA)

12/06 1:00 PM EST Hoffman Estates Redhawks (IL) vs. Colorado Springs War (CO)

12/06 4:00 PM EST Port St. Lucie Pirates (FL) vs. Capital City Steelers (NC)

12/06 6:00 PM EST West  Lynn Rams (MA) vs. Chino Colts (CA)

12/07 10:30 AM EST WNY Bills (NY) vs. Oak Cliff Redskins (TX)

12/07 1:00 PM EST New Britain Raiders (CT) vs. Morgan Hill Raiders (CA)

12/07 4:00 PM EST Watkins Hornets (DC) vs. Florida City Razorbacks (FL)

12/07 6:00 PM EST VA Beach Mustangs (VA) vs. Far West Jets (AZ)

MiamiHuskers
(@harmony)
Bronze

3 really great games to watch
PSL vs Capital  City
WAtkins vs FCR
VA Beach vs Far West

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

what age are these

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

what age are these

Each day is 4 games. For each day they are on this order(JPW, Pee Wee, Jr. Midget, Midget).

You can find the next games/dates and times on the ESPN website. Just type "Pop warner" in the search box under upcoming. I believe you can also watch them after under replay for a short amount of time after.

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thought so far? PSL Pirates were pretty impressive and fun to watch on offense mostly running out of double wing and spread.

I was hoping to see N.Philly Aztecs but can only catch the highlights for them.

ReplyQuote
budfos
(@budfos)
Bronze

Thought so far? PSL Pirates were pretty impressive and fun to watch on offense mostly running out of double wing and spread.

Aztecs will be shown online Wednesday morning.  Not sure who they are playing but it really doesn't matter.  They are a machine

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Aztecs will be shown online Wednesday morning.  Not sure who they are playing but it really doesn't matter.  They are a machine

Looking forward to that. The coach seems like a good dude. Said their offense is influenced by Darlington, Doc Ward and Sean Orr.

Lots of these teams running out of of I formation variations. Thought I would see teams with along more deception, but seeing a lot more straight up power running with these teams.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Looking forward to that. The coach seems like a good dude. Said their offense is influenced by Darlington, Doc Ward and Sean Orr.

Lots of these teams running out of of I formation variations. Thought I would see teams with along more deception, but seeing a lot more straight up power running with these teams.

I have noticed this a lot over the years.  The better teams do the simpler stuff with better athletes.  Why complicate things when you have the athletes to overpower your opponent?

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

We just came back from there. I took my Mitey-mite team to play and I was able to watch some of these teams play in the 1st round. It seemed that the teams trying to get creative didn't match up well against the team that just played hard nose football.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The PSL team is half of our 2011 team that won it and a few of the coaches from our staff that year. They are actually playing without their best player who broke his arm earlier in the season. They run much of what we run as we all coached together for a while.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I am not saying that they are not but I have heard similar talk before just to see a team get smashed. Most teams at nationals are machines. That is why they are there.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I have noticed this a lot over the years.  The better teams do the simpler stuff with better athletes.  Why complicate things when you have the athletes to overpower your opponent?

You will see some dw, sw, wing t teams there every year. They always represent well. But I agree, most of the teams run right at you with some pap mixed in. Few get very complicated. The team that beat us in 2010 used some very nice misdirection direct snap stuff that was very well ran. I think the best teams mix in just enough misdirection in their base to keep you on your toes.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Ive been to 6 of these

The consistency I see from MOST of the winners:
GREAT fundamentals- especially O-line play. Come off the ball well
EXCELLENT ball security
Very little blitzing
Deep- they have more than 1-2 threats on offense. Not always world beaters- sometimes yes, but solid athletic kids doing what they are supposed to
Tackle well, pursue well- don't overrun the ball
Align well/correctly on D
Have a go to series of complementary plays- including a "go to play"
Solid special teams- PAT, Onside Kicks, Punting

Manage their MPRs well- teams like Far West don't have any MPRs but most teams do
Calm instructive coaching

No whizz bang "smarter than the room" schemes. great fundamentals on all 3 sides of the ball, reasonably good playcalling

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

I am not saying that they are not but I have heard similar talk before just to see a team get smashed. Most teams at nationals are machines. That is why they are there.

Preach.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Preach.

I have seen some of the teams from your association come out and look real good one game and then get beat. It has happened to me as well. For those that haven't been there it is hard to imagine the level of competition and how good most of these teams are. I have seen teams that were 15-0 and never gave up a point all season get clocked in the first half. It happens.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8
Share: