Pop Warner Champion...

Notifications
Clear all

Pop Warner Championship Games

Page 8 / 8

budfos
(@budfos)
Bronze

Yes I was chains for that game.  You should have heard their sidelines.  As soon as they did anything other than DW (Spread and whatnot) all the other coaches immediately started saying, don't do what we don't do, why get fancy?  Line up in DW and win the game.  They were a good team, had some great athletes, but you are correct, turnovers it seemed for all the teams was a problem.

Did you do the JpW game as well?  If so, I would love to hear your insights from whatever sideline you were on.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I have got to say without a doubt the most impressive team at the NC games to me was Far West Jets.

D1 Junior Midget VERY VERY undersized.  The QB someone mentioned was a 7th grader.  Probably the smallest player on the field on both sides.  He also played OLB as well.

One of the most disciplined and well executed teams I saw out there bar none.  Passed and Ran with great efficiency and I honestly don't think I saw a single mistake as far as penalties are concerned.

Very well done and I was EXTREMELY impressed.

T

That kid is a 7th grader? What age group is JM generally? I thought I was watching 10-11 year olds so I agree....very undersized. 

Still...watching BOTH these teams play was good stuff. Very well coached.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
budfos
(@budfos)
Bronze

T

That kid is a 7th grader? What age group is JM generally? I thought I was watching 10-11 year olds so I agree....very undersized. 

Still...watching BOTH these teams play was good stuff. Very well coached.

JrM is primarily 12 & 13 (7th and 8th graders for the most part).  Will be some 11's out there if they couldn't make Pee Wee weight.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Did you do the JpW game as well?  If so, I would love to hear your insights from whatever sideline you were on.

Yes I was on the sidelines of the Gwen Cherry team doing chains for that one also.  Early in the game they fumbled a few times (one returned for a TD) and were trying to use some fancy double wing formations with TE wide out and WB spread to an almost twins look and it was obvious they were more comfortable in DTDW.  The coaches were arguing about it a bit and a few kept muttering to stick to what we do (double tight).  Once they switched to that in the second half it was clear cut that was their bread and butter, power, counter crisscross, counter, just basic stuff and they took over.  Defensively I think they just had faster athletes as a whole and the Aztecs couldn't match the speed and closure to the ball.  I liked the Aztec team but to me they looked a tad bit surprised at the speed of Gwen Cherry especially defensively.

Also I was pretty shocked they played with NO safety!  Even after gwen cherry tried to throw a seam a few times in the first half and couldn't connect I mean it was WIDE open.  They finally did connect to put the game away in the 4th with a simple seam right down the middle.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share: