Notifications
Clear all

Pop warner mitey mite rule

Page 1 / 3

chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
Topic starter  

How in the hell do you stop a qb sneak if nobody can align over the center?  Did I read this rule wrong?  Can the d line line up in the gap like in a gam?  Im coaching mitey mites this year and just read the d line can not align over the center.  Can someone please tell me what is legal and what is not in this regard?

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

You cannot align over the center. You will also find that mm centers almost never are able to snap and actually make a block. Even fronts don't line up on the center. You are allowed to stunt into any run fit you want.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

No need for a safety at MM level.  Run a 6-3.  No blitzing is allowed.  No more than 6 can be on the line, no lining up over center, but A gap is fine.  The rules aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

No need for a safety at MM level.  Run a 6-3.  No blitzing is allowed.  No more than 6 can be on the line, no lining up over center, but A gap is fine.  The rules aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

That is why I brought up an even front. They don't line up over the center and are able to stop qb sneaks. I agree with the safety pov. I don't know that they will ever make a tackle. It is like a right fielder in T-ball. Good place to take a nap and they will do just that.  😛

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How in the hell do you stop a qb sneak if nobody can align over the center?  Did I read this rule wrong?  Can the d line line up in the gap like in a gam?  Im coaching mitey mites this year and just read the d line can not align over the center.  Can someone please tell me what is legal and what is not in this regard?

lol  Yep, that's the rule.  I'd be one Wedging son of a gun...

When I coached Mitey-Mites in 1998-2002, we didn't have that rule, so you actually had to teach your Center how to handle an aggressive Nose.  Imagine that... ::)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

No need for a safety at MM level.

We had two Safeties when I coached Mitey-Mites.  The biggest threat was that of "the Big Play."  Safeties were a 3rd line of defense in guarding against that.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Go even front as suggested and have your DT's crash the A gaps if youre worried about the sneak.  As others have said its a rarity to find a MM center who can snap properly and block. Its usually one or the other that they do well. Sometimes its neither. Rarely is it both. I dont know why we didnt see more wedge last year considering the rules. Only ran into one team that wedged at all last season and that was a Pee Wee team, not a Mighty Mite.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

I am the HC for a MM team this year.

I was wondering if there is a qb sneak type of play that can be run out of the UBSW? I know in Dave's system you can run 32 Wedge here moving over the 3 back to take the snap but what about snapping to the 3 back running behind the Center which has no DL on him for a quick hitter?

Re; the Safety:

I was going to run DC 6-2 WT. So, in MM level, would I be better off moving the safety up to the middle of the lb's?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How in the hell do you stop a qb sneak if nobody can align over the center?

If their QB sneak is your biggest concern, you've already won.  Even though we could line up over Center back in the day, we never did.  We had MLBs to clean up that trash.  At that age group, running between the A-Gaps was like water in the desert; I never saw it.  I know you see some guys who have the QB Sneak as an integral part of their offense at that level, but those teams did so only because they couldn't run much else successfully.  Don't over stress on this.  Besides, Wedge is your friend and with Wedge and a good off-tackle Power game at that level, their offense should never see the ball anyway.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I dont know why we didnt see more wedge last year considering the rules.

Oh c'mon Joel...really?  ;D

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I was going to run DC 6-2 WT. So, in MM level, would I be better off moving the safety up to the middle of the lb's?

Why would you bring up a guy to 2nd level and then place him in the middle when no one runs there?  Why not just play with 10 defenders?  It amounts to the same thing.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

Why would you bring up a guy to 2nd level and then place him in the middle when no one runs there?  Why not just play with 10 defenders?  It amounts to the same thing.

--Dave

True. I guess I will still keep the S  there as per the book as he also covers the 2nd receiver/inside in trips in this D. Not sure how much they will see there covering with little passing in MM, but at least the kid will get playtime.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

True. I guess I will still keep the S  there as per the book as he also covers the 2nd receiver/inside in trips in this D. Not sure how much they will see there covering with little passing in MM, but at least the kid will get playtime.

I've never understood the (Mitey-Mite) mind-set that says "since there's no passing, let's bring everyone up inside the box" when most Mitey-Mite teams don't run inside the tackles, anywayI've seen Mitey-Mite defenses packed so tight that their Sam could do Will's job and vice versa.  I'd rather place my personnel where I think their offense is likely to run (and could hurt me), than where they're unlikely to run and not hurt me.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Oh c'mon Joel...really?  ;D

--Dave

Oh I know it was largely said with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I had never seen wedge in a live game until this past season.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I still say safeties are worthless at the youngest levels.  Hell even at most older levels of pop warner do I see them making a significant contribution to defense.  Most people put a safety back there as a "big play" stopper and he never stops anything.  But hey, if you got a guy with great speed that can chase people down go for it.  I would rather bring them up and stop the play before it turns into a big play.

I would run 2 aggressive heads up DE's with LB's behind them, 1 Middle LB, Guards in A Gaps, Tackles heads up on Tackles  Use the OLB's and DE's as Contain. 

C        B            B            B          C

E  T      G  G    T    E
            E  T  G  C  G  T  E
                          Q

B      B

B

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: