Pop warner mitey mi...

Notifications
Clear all

Pop warner mitey mite rule

Page 2 / 3

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The funny things is, 2 a gap defenders are a bigger issue for a center than 1 ng imo.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

The funny things is, 2 a gap defenders are a bigger issue for a center than 1 ng imo.

I have had very little trouble with NTs causing my wedge to slow down

2 a gappers....... now that is a tougher road to plow through

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I still say safeties are worthless at the youngest levels.  Hell even at most older levels of pop warner do I see them making a significant contribution to defense.

In 2000, our Mitey-Mites played 8 games.  I had two Safeties.  One of them intercepted 6 passes.  I'll keep my Safeties, thank you.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

In 2000, our Mitey-Mites played 8 games.  I had two Safeties.  One of them intercepted 6 passes.  I'll keep my Safeties, thank you.

--Dave

Dave,
  I am in the safety is a waste camp but I also am 100% for whatever works for you. I have never coached mm but if we faced a team with 2 safeties that could actually play pass defense we wouldn't throw the ball(at that level).
Would run 2 safeties against the dw or sw? Would you move them up into a run defense position or would you continue to play 11 against 9? It is all about how you play them. I think what we are saying is a bad idea is a safety sitting in 10 yards behind the play with his only responsibility is to not let anybody get by him. That is a waste in any defense but I see it often in youth, especially at the lower levels. We use a safety but he is part of our run defense and not a defender of last resort.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Would run 2 safeties against the dw or sw?

--Absolutely.  I run MY defense.  We're not trying to figure out how to defend your offense.  We're just concerned with running our defense, so that instead of reacting to what you do, we're executing what we do.  Each snap of the ball is not an offensive play, but a defensive play that we've designed to make you lose yards.  Safeties are never blocked at Mitey-Mite.  They are allowed (by the offense) to play free.  That makes them dangerous hitters because they can roam the field and do what they please.  I don't know of a Mitey-Mite offense that blocks Safeties.

--Mitey-Mite offenses do not play ball-control offense.  They will fumble or be penalized (or make some other mistake) before they can mount a 15-play drive.  They are all about The Big Play.  With 2 Safeties, we can not only keep our targets in front of us,  Safeties can come in untargeted by the offense and deliver kill shots without ever showing up on the radar.

Would you move them up into a run defense position or would you continue to play 11 against 9? It is all about how you play them. I think what we are saying is a bad idea is a safety sitting in 10 yards behind the play with his only responsibility is to not let anybody get by him. That is a waste in any defense but I see it often in youth, especially at the lower levels. We use a safety but he is part of our run defense and not a defender of last resort.

--He's definitely a 3rd level defender who snuffs out any big plays, or any Backs that turn the corner.  Their advantage is that any ball-carrier that gets that far down field is never led by a blocker.  That makes their ball-carrier vulnerable because he's unprotected.  And that's the kind of matchups we liked.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

After 3 years @ MM and TM (5/6) I agree w/ DP as well (for the majority of teams you will play). 1st Downs are dangerous not because of field position but because the Offense gets 4 more chances to rip off a long one. My experience was a very low percentage of 3 to 6 yard plays, either it is killed in the backfield/at LOS or it's a foot race to the end zone....fastest guy wins.

I use to fill my Defensive position in this order of importance (for the most part): LB,DE,DB,DL. I would change that to DL(at least 1 above average), Safety, DE, LB, CB. Plays generally get off pretty slow at least until mid season. Having a DT that can penetrate and either kill the play behind the LOS or cause a change of direction to let the rest come off their blocks. Having the High Safety (10 to 12 back for us) won at least 1 game for us last season (TM). You will also find that some of your better athletes absolutely love DL (at least our did).

To the original post we played under the same rules, we played Jack's 6-3 @ MM (2 A Gappers either by the DG or Stacked LB). Nobody ran "A" gap (except us). Everything is generally OT or Sweep. If you are filling the "A" gap there isn't much room to run in there. Young Centers don't fire out especially quickly.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

My experience was a very low percentage of 3 to 6 yard plays, either it is killed in the backfield/at LOS or it's a foot race to the end zone....fastest guy wins.

^ This, all day long...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Nobody ran "A" gap (except us). Everything is generally OT or Sweep. If you are filling the "A" gap there isn't much room to run in there. Young Centers don't fire out especially quickly.

^ And this.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Nobody ran "A" gap (except us). Everything is generally OT or Sweep. If you are filling the "A" gap there isn't much room to run in there. Young Centers don't fire out especially quickly.

And let's face it, without a real blocking scheme, no one is going to run the A gaps (unless you count a QB sneak as a real play).  And when was the last time you played a Mitey-Mite team with a real blocking scheme?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I guess with my lack of experience at mm I have to concede the 2 safety issue. Personally, I would probably run beast or Dave's sw at mm and play 11 vs 10 all day long. We had a mm team run the sw this year and did very well with it. I love watching mm and tm play. Herding kittens comes to mind. Any misdirection seems to score.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I love watching mm and tm play.

^ This.  And Tiny Mites is the most entertaining of all.  Reminds me of the "Puppy Bowl" show that airs on Super Bowl Sunday. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

And let's face it, without a real blocking scheme, no one is going to run the A gaps (unless you count a QB sneak as a real play).  And when was the last time you played a Mitey-Mite team with a real blocking scheme?

--Dave

I hope to have video proof this season that it can be done. I plan to install TKO in our double wing for our Mighty Mite team. I was leaning toward GOD blocking but after reading JJ Lawson's Coaching a Dominant Offensive Line manual. I think TKO would actually be easier to coach than GOD. I am trying to prepare myself to teach this to the boys. But it seems simple enough that the boys should be able to digest it.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

I hope to have video proof this season that it can be done. I plan to install TKO in our double wing for our Mighty Mite team. I was leaning toward GOD blocking but after reading JJ Lawson's Coaching a Dominant Offensive Line manual. I think TKO would actually be easier to coach than GOD. I am trying to prepare myself to teach this to the boys. But it seems simple enough that the boys should be able to digest it.

I'll be updating my progress here as well with running Dave's SW for MM's. I am planning on using GOD blocking the way he teaches in the book/video. I probably won't put  in much  more than the Sainted 6. I'm actually more concerned about getting the wedge to work with the lil guys.

I was originally going to run Beast but I figured as the kids move up to the next level ,things can be added(Burst, Spinner,etc)in Cisar's system.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

When I add series or a play to a series I look at:
1) How will this solve something I'm struggling with now
2) How will this stress the defense in a significantly different way that I'm not presently stressing them now
3) How will this add a constraint that will set up other plays in existing series
4) Can this replace something similar, but do so in a much more effective and/or efficient fashion

If it doesn't fit those criteria, I don't add it
It's also why the playbook has evolved over time- NOT just added stuff, added and subtracted and adjusted etc

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I'll be updated my progress here as well with running Dave's SW for MM's. I am planning on using GOD blocking the way he teaches in the book/video. I probably won't put  in much  more than the Sainted 6. I'm actually more concerned about getting the wedge to work with the lil guys.

I was originally going to run Beast but I figured as the kids move up to the next level ,things can be added(Burst, Spinner,etc)in Cisar's system.

I would have liked to run Cisar's UBSW. I bought nearly all of his materials. I am the President of my org. But I am just an assistant coach on the Mighty Mite team. Its up to the head coach to make the calls on what schemes we are going to use. He likes Double Wing so thats what we are going to run and in truth I am really taking to the offense. I still like the SW. But I think we can be very effective with the DW. I also have a great deal of confidence in the coaches I am working with on this team so I know we can make it happen.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: