Notifications

Practices running late - A rant  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
September 22, 2018 11:35 am  

The teams I have coached with have always had the rule "Start on time, end on time."  I can't say we have been perfect, but the longest we have gone over time was maybe 5 minutes.  My son is now playing HS ball and they typically go 15-30 minutes past the scheduled practice time.  With other kids that also do sports, as well as being a youth coach, this means a fairly tight schedule most days and no time to just sit around and wait.  Maybe if my son was at the point that he could drive this wouldn't be a problem, but I find it disrespectful to not be conscious of the time commitment families are making to let their sons play on the team.

Am I over reacting? Should I just ignore it? For now I feel like I just need to bit my tongue.

CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
September 22, 2018 12:42 pm  

Something I've also made a priority since becoming a HC as my sons teams all had a history of the 15 minute team conversation at the end of practice.  Was miserable as a parent waiting for those to finish.  His HS team wasn't much different but I just bit my tongue and let my son know he might have to find a ride if practices kept running long.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 22, 2018 1:22 pm  

The teams I have coached with have always had the rule "Start on time, end on time."  I can't say we have been perfect, but the longest we have gone over time was maybe 5 minutes.  My son is now playing HS ball and they typically go 15-30 minutes past the scheduled practice time.  With other kids that also do sports, as well as being a youth coach, this means a fairly tight schedule most days and no time to just sit around and wait.  Maybe if my son was at the point that he could drive this wouldn't be a problem, but I find it disrespectful to not be conscious of the time commitment families are making to let their sons play on the team.

Am I over reacting? Should I just ignore it? For now I feel like I just need to bit my tongue.

Not over reacting at all. Your HS Staff should be told whats up and to get their chit together....collectively by all the families.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
September 22, 2018 4:09 pm  

Let me guess... they also have 2.5 or 3 hour practices too?

I see some HS programs who have been blessed with plenty of time only to piss it away. I see 10 minute water breaks throughout practice and a general lack of appreciation for time.

Might want to mention it being something you need to plan around, but I wouldn’t use the term “disrespectful” even though it is. 🙂

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
September 22, 2018 5:30 pm  

2.5 hour practices. 

One day while waiting I asked a group of parents whether or not practice was supposed to be over at 5:00.  It was 5:27.  One dad said, "If he can't stay late, he shouldn't be on the team."  I didn't put much thought into his comment as he was also the guy that showed up drunk and beligerent to parent night and had to be removed by police.  ::)  Not sure why he is even allowed on campus.  Anyways, no body else said a thing but you could tell by their body language they were getting tired of waiting too.  I will need to start an underground parent movement.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
September 22, 2018 5:31 pm  

Yeah, I make every effort to finish every practice at 7:30 sharp. Wish I would get the same courtesy from the parents to have every player ON THE FIELD with their HELMETS ON at 6:00 sharp. To them it means roll into the parking lot at 6:00.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
September 22, 2018 6:12 pm  

Yeah, I make every effort to finish every practice at 7:30 sharp. Wish I would get the same courtesy from the parents to have every player ON THE FIELD with their HELMETS ON at 6:00 sharp. To them it means roll into the parking lot at 6:00.

If you don’t have Godzillas, get them. Kids will be early very quickly

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Copper
Wisconsin
September 22, 2018 8:10 pm  

If you have the expectation to start on time then you should finish on time. Yet i finish on time and have to wait 30mins for parents to show up.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 23, 2018 8:32 am  

We can’t finish late because the activity bus doesn’t care about our schedule. It leaves when it leaves. If our kids were to miss that bus because of us...somebody would get fired.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
September 24, 2018 5:31 am  

In my preseason parent meetings and parent letter I have always made sure to specify that practice starts at the start time.  That does not mean you show up at that time. It means the players are there in required equipment and on the field ready to start practice at that time.  Not walking in and tying their shoes as the rest of the team is starting practice. And being late can and will affect playing time.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver
September 24, 2018 11:34 am  

To my mind, everything changes when you play HS. If it needs to be done, go longer, practice the next morning at 6 am, etc.  I mostly agree with the drunk dad.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
September 25, 2018 3:29 am  

Funny to read this. Just last night I get home from our practice and ask my son how his practice went. He tells me he didn't get home until 6:20. Practice is supposed to run 2:30-5:00 but the more they lose, the longer the practices get. Last night, practice went to 5:45 and then coaches talked for another 20 minutes before letting them go.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 25, 2018 5:39 am  

and then coaches talked for another 20 minutes before letting them go.

That’s always effective. ::) At least the players now know they have to want it.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 25, 2018 5:48 am  

Not over reacting at all. Your HS Staff should be told whats up and to get their chit together....collectively by all the families.

I am sure they would snap right into shape. HS practice is over when it is over. I played 2 hs sports and we never had an official ending time. The state probably regulates how many hours each week they can practice. As long as they don't go over I don't see the problem. Oh, and I never had to have my parents drive me. Half the team drove themselves and the other half rode with them.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 25, 2018 5:49 am  

That’s always effective. ::) At least the players now know they have to want it.

—Dave

Everyone knows that the 20 minutes after practice is where all the real coaching is done.  😉

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: