Preparations for th...

Notifications

Preparations for the season in the midst of a global pandemic!  

RSS

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
May 5, 2020 8:47 am  

Coaches,

How are you preparing during these difficult times? Assuming we have a season at all, how have these new circumstances impacted your ability to properly prepare? 

I have been working tirelessly to organize my entire game plan. Communication with staff has been interesting since personal encounters are being kept to a minimum. Lots of phone calls and e-mails, which isn't all that abnormal, still it feels very strange not having in person meetings. Zoom is a nice tool, still it doesn't feel quite as personal as I prefer. I guess it will take some getting used to as it may become the new norm.

Anyways, I was just curious to learn how some of you are adapting to these changes in communication. Hope everyone is staying safe and positive during this difficult time!

Ryan

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 5, 2020 9:43 am  
Posted by: @rpatric

How are you preparing during these difficult times?

The HC and I chat pretty regularly,

• I've bought a couple of books (used) on coaching for our returning assis't coaches (a Mom and a Grandpa).  
  • I'm updating and up-grading our Offense playbook
  • I'm haunting forums like this one to expand my coaching horizons and tap into the wisdom and experience of others
  • We have 4 returners, both the HC and I drop notes off to them via FB/ birthday cards and such.  (normally we'd be attending some of their games in off-season sports, and such)
  • We keep contact with our former players, to keep the sense of belonging /camaraderie going - and just because we like 'em
  • We're putting together a Welcome / Introduction letter for this coming season's draftees
  • We're picking the brains of the PeeWee (7U) coaches about players in anticipation of the draft
  • We're assessing the talent returning to the other teams.
  • We're going over game film looking at what we did well, did poorly last season
  • We're going over game film to build our scouting reports on the other teams
  • We anticipate having a season, the league is looking at the probability of a shortened season, and we're looking at how those decisions may impact us.  

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
May 5, 2020 10:14 am  

At our meeting last night, The Board isn't sure we will have a Season.  We are hearing that the Reconditioning has been shuttered and helmets are not being processed.  The order of return is Pro, College, High School, then youth.  I asked our board to contact the Helmet rep and ask if they are going to give reprieve on the 2 year mandatory recondition since they cant complete the ones they have in time?  At rough estimate we will have maybe 50 kids total.  That's if Parents allow them to play.   

I would love to say all is well...... At this time I can say I am mowing the field regularly, with Great Hope there is Football.  

I told folks I would be willing to be an assistant coach this season but, no calls.....That's OK too.  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
May 5, 2020 12:26 pm  

I've been preparing as though there's going to be a season. They suspended baseball season on March 25 and were initially going to try to play baseball and football at the same time. Fortunately, we talked our athletic director out of that idea. As it stands now, there's optimism that will start playing baseball in June, but that's not official yet.

Until we resume baseball, I'm trying to spend 2-3 hours a night trying to get ready for the 2020 season. August can't get here fast enough 🙂

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

32wedge and rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 5, 2020 3:56 pm  

You've been seeing the highlights of my mental preparation posted here.  I did communicate some other things in e-mail to the other coaches on our team regarding defense and warmups that I don't think I shared with you.

The lawn signs for registration (in place of ones for lacrosse) went up as usual in March, after restrictions in NJ were already adopted regarding gatherings and business, so obviously the club was not deterred, but probably those putting up the signs had expected business to be back to usual before now.  I'm afraid to ask the president now how registration's been going, or other expectations for the season!

Just checked "Team Chat" in our SI Play facility; last message was "Merry Christmas" from our team mom.  But that's not unusual.  Last year we were having spring practice at this time, but I wasn't sure we were going to have it this year even before the virus.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Bob Goodman

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 5, 2020 9:24 pm  

I've been viewing some online clinics, more for entertainment than anything else.  I think football is over with and done.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
May 6, 2020 12:04 pm  

If I read our Glorious Governors (sarc) "Plan to open the Start" correctly we (Illinois) will not be having a Football season.  We will be lucky if they allow Basketball to start in the fall.  No Fans though only players and coaches. Should be allowed to gather in groups of at <50 people by October. 

🤬  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
May 7, 2020 11:02 pm  

Interestingly enough, we have the most interest and sign ups than we have had in a while. Some of it is some new blood in helping to run our football program (Cheer has been growing for years) and some is some new approaches (good fundraising leading to our ability to defer payments for parents). 

Who knows if we will have a season this year, but we will be well prepared when we do. Except for helmets, maybe. We already got back our recons since we sent them out early, but we have more kids than expected, so we need more helmets. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 8, 2020 11:08 am  

We did get an e-mail yesterday appealing for letters of support from parents for the head coach of football at the high school our club is named for (Newton (NJ) Braves) who's just had his laying off announced.  I'd say that under the circumstances, expecting coaches to be exempt from school layoffs would be a lot to ask; I don't know what they're doing about the teachers, but probably a different contract that would keep them employed longer, even though schools are shut.

ReplyQuote
Share: