Notifications
Clear all

PW Mitey Mites

Page 1 / 2

TitanCoach
(@csingleton4)
Copper
Topic starter  

Does anyone know what the deal is with what is going on at the PW mitey mite level? I was under the impression that mitey mites only participated in a national exhibition game by invitation only. Based on the article, it looks like some exception was made last year (2014) to have them go to playoffs, but it was done away with for 2015.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/21/pop-warner-sacks-kids-disney-dreams-despite-undefeated-season/

Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I have been going to Pop Warner nationals now for last probably 8 years and have never seen a Mighty Mite playoff at all.  Only exhibition games.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I know in the ECC they only play a Bowl Game and that is it.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

This is directly from the Pop Warner Rulebook page 33:

S3- Special Note for Mitey-Mites

Although the game is serious to the kids, from the adult viewpoint, Mitey-Mite is strictly a training division, completely free of any pressure to win, with a total emphasis on learning.  While scores are kept, no local championship may be declared, but post-season play is permitted.

Looks pretty clear to me.  You can have post season games for tiny mites also, but you can't have a championship to get to disney.  It looks like if an organization wants to put them into regionals it wants but it is much like D3 from the wording.

ReplyQuote
TitanCoach
(@csingleton4)
Copper
Topic starter  

This is directly from the Pop Warner Rulebook page 33:

S3- Special Note for Mitey-Mites

Although the game is serious to the kids, from the adult viewpoint, Mitey-Mite is strictly a training division, completely free of any pressure to win, with a total emphasis on learning.  While scores are kept, no local championship may be declared, but post-season play is permitted.

Looks pretty clear to me.  You can have post season games for tiny mites also, but you can't have a championship to get to disney.  It looks like if an organization wants to put them into regionals it wants but it is much like D3 from the wording.

I noticed that rule in the PW Rule book, I'm pretty sure it was there in past years too. It just seems strange that the national spokesperson for PW said this:

"Pruce told FoxNews.com that Pop Warner has always selected teams at random for the trip to Disney, with the exception of last year. The Mitey-Mites is a training division that is not competitive, Pruce said Friday. There's no winners or losers in our Super Bowl. However, the teams played through a playoff system in 2014 and the top two teams went to Disney, according to Pruce."

Pop Warners rule book is crystal clear, it just seems like some miscommunication and experimental rules that occurred in that particular region.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I think they mean they didn't have mitey mite exhibition at nationals last year.  I don't remember them being there and I volunteer all the time and usually help out with the Mitey Mite games.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I think they mean they didn't have mitey mite exhibition at nationals last year.  I don't remember them being there and I volunteer all the time and usually help out with the Mitey Mite games.

I am going to try and go this year. How do you volunteer?

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Not sure honestly.  Mid Florida Region gets volunteers from each of the teams in Mid Florida.  I think because we host the event (orlando) its just easier to get it through us.  I would reach out to your conference and see if there is any way to volunteer. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

"However, the teams played through a playoff system in 2014 and the top two teams went to Disney, according to Pruce.

"It became very competitive and we didn't want that," he said. "Years prior it's just been picked randomly and this year they decided to go down that same road."

The decision was made by national and Eastern Region Pop Warner staff during the third week of October.

That decision, Pruce noted, "was communicated down through the league but then it wasn't communicated very well down to the parents."

I have no idea what Josh Pruce is talking about.  We had a Mitey-Mite team go to Florida last year and it had absolutely nothing to do with any play-offs.  The orgs in our conference were asked in the pre-season if any of the MM teams had an interest in going.  Ours was one that expressed an interest.  Had nothing to do with how many games they won.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Eastern region had a mitey mite tourney this and last year.

Nothing to do with road to disney

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

They had them there last year. I had a chance to watch a couple, as I was there as a board member. They were all on the newer fields to the far right as you are coming down the main stairs. Never known them to be anything but invitation-only.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

They had them there last year. I had a chance to watch a couple, as I was there as a board member. They were all on the newer fields to the far right as you are coming down the main stairs. Never known them to be anything but invitation-only.

Man I don't remember them last year.  Huh..

I will be there Dec 5th volunteering for the MM Games.  I just go and volunteer that day to get the badge for the entire week, :heh:  This year all the champ games filled up fast, so will be able to just relax and watch.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze

They may be experimenting with something. It was passed down that the travel ban for MM was lifted this year so that post season exhibition games could be played outside of a teams normal area. We were also told by our league Pres. that Pop warner is planning to make some changes at the national level that should be in effect starting in 2017. should find out what those are by the start of the next league year in January.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Yea I think MM will have National Champ games just like the rest of the levels within the next few years for sure.  It has been in the works for awhile.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

It totally goea against what PW has been saying about might mite. It would seem to me that this change might have something to do with pressure from Disney.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: