Notifications
Clear all

PW Mitey Mites

Page 2 / 2

CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Our conference also asks if anyone wants to send their Mighty Mite team to the Mighty Mite Bowl at Disney. We don't have any sort of playoff format to determine who goes.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
BigVince
(@bigvinceupw)
Bronze

Mitey mite is not a playoff division plain and simple. The parents were notified of this mid season? So whats the problem? Are they owed a trip to Disneyland because they are from the inner city?
If they are that good and they're Coaches are that good then they will be there next year in the Jr. Pee Wee division. So whats the problem?

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

It's all about politics and money.  I am sure there is a team say in North Dakota or Maine that may be the best youth team in the country, but due to the league they are in, organization their program plays in, lack of money and so forth they may be an afterthought. 

Picking teams at random means those with connections, those with deep pockets or those with worn out knee pads have the best chance of going regardless of how good they are.

ReplyQuote
reinhold
(@reinhold)
Copper

UYF has a Mitey Mite Championship at nationals.  Even as a UYF guy, I agree with what most have said in that it is ridiculous.  If it is meant to be an instructional level, let it be that.  Once you put a prize (championship trophy)at the end of the road, coaches will change the way they coach in order to try to win that prize.  Whether they do it consciously or not, I have seen many coaches scrap their instructional philosophy & begin to game plan to win a game, not teach proper football.  Let's face it, in many cases, at the Mitey Mite level, if my fastest kid is faster than your fastest kid, I will win.  I know that is not the case 100% of the time, but at that level it is true more often than not.  In order to win a Mitey Mite game, you don't really have to teach proper football, you just have to game plan to win.  I have never head coached Mitey Mites, but I have the utmost respect for those that do it well.  Those guys that put their ego aside to correctly teach football to those little guys, regardless of the win/loss outcome, should be held in the highest regard.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Mitey mite is not a playoff division plain and simple. The parents were notified of this mid season? So whats the problem? Are they owed a trip to Disneyland because they are from the inner city?
If they are that good and they're Coaches are that good then they will be there next year in the Jr. Pee Wee division. So whats the problem?

The issue has nothing to do with where they are from. Their Region set a bad precedent by having a MM level playoff system to decide who goes to Disney. That goes against everything PW stands for in terms of MM being primarily an instructional level. In addition, the decision was made during the season to adhere the the National PW guidelines to have the MM games as invitation only. Folks feel slighted because the way it was decided in the past in their region was through a playoff system. No MM teams in our region play 11 games. This is the first I've heard of ANY MM team anywhere playing that many games. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually against National PW rules. IIRC there is a maximum number of games a MM team can play in a season.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

How does one get invited, who and why makes that call?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

UYF has a Mitey Mite Championship at nationals.  Even as a UYF guy, I agree with what most have said in that it is ridiculous.  If it is meant to be an instructional level, let it be that.  Once you put a prize (championship trophy)at the end of the road, coaches will change the way they coach in order to try to win that prize.  Whether they do it consciously or not, I have seen many coaches scrap their instructional philosophy & begin to game plan to win a game, not teach proper football.  Let's face it, in many cases, at the Mitey Mite level, if my fastest kid is faster than your fastest kid, I will win.  I know that is not the case 100% of the time, but at that level it is true more often than not.  In order to win a Mitey Mite game, you don't really have to teach proper football, you just have to game plan to win.

I agree.  And the problem is even more widespread than stated, because some kids start football at an older age than would qualify them for Mites, and you can have situations where half the team should be in that "instructional" category & the other half playing competitively.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

How does one get invited, who and why makes that call?

I'm really not sure, to tell you the truth. I don't know what the criteria are, or even if there are criteria. Our org has gotten invited before, but we always turn it down.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

To think that the large majority of mm coaches don't coach in just as a competitive manner as the other levels is naive. I see it all the time. MM coaches acting like they are coaching in some sort of weird Superbowl where if they lose they get executed. In fact, some of the mm coaches are worse than the higher levels. Having playoffs at that level would only make it worse.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

For me....not crowning a champion in any sport at any level is a total fail.

Why even bother. Sports wasn't meant for any but crowing a champion.

Even Go Fish crowns a winner.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I remember I think 3 years ago this team from New Hampshire or one of those NE teams showed up with a MM team that was literally all tiny mite aged kids that had very very little football experience.  I was on the sideline and remember thinking man they are smaller than our tiny mites!  Sure enough I talked to one of the parents and they said that their conference was asked if anyone wanted to go so they scooped up a bunch of the TM and MM kids and went basically for a "funsy field trip!"

And low and behold who did they randomly match up with in their first game?!  Hawaii.  I swear to you this was the absolute biggest MM team I had ever seen with coaches and fans that had painted faces and did the whole haka dance before hand.  Every kid was MASSIVE compared to these other little guys.  I walked up to the ref before hand and actually said, "ummm yea this is going to be bad."  It was an absolute destruction.  It looked like a war zone after the first play from scrimmage.  Little new hampsire kids crawling like wounded soldiers towards the sideline crying for their mothers.  It was bizzare!  Needless to say about the 5th play from scrimmage the ref after having watched another mauling waved his hand and called the game saying basically, "he couldn't stomach watching another minute lol!"

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze

To think that the large majority of mm coaches don't coach in just as a competitive manner as the other levels is naive. I see it all the time. MM coaches acting like they are coaching in some sort of weird Superbowl where if they lose they get executed. In fact, some of the mm coaches are worse than the higher levels. Having playoffs at that level would only make it worse.

I believe that. The team we played in week 6 was 2-3 going into that game and they needed a win to get into the D2 playoffs. Their pregame consisted of a lot of hooting and hollering about how they were going to beat us and get in. Well we won that game 19-7 their only TD was on a punt return. Our D totally dominated them and our they had a hard time getting our O off the field. After the game in the handshake line their HC would not look at me, talk to me and he gave a half assed hand shake.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze

I have to concur with this statement. If their is no light at the end of the tunnel, what's the point of even going through the rigors of the season. Might as well just take your kids to football clinics until they get to a competitive level.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
TitanCoach
(@csingleton4)
Copper
Topic starter  

Amen

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: