Notifications

QB's in Unison  

RSS

dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
June 30, 2019 10:05 am  

This year Coaching 7th Grade-12 U-I have potentially four QB's for two teams.

Three are experienced but all three have been coached by three different Head Coaches, and one candidate has never played QB.

Boot, Pop Pass and Flood(PAP) are our go to passes under center where footwork is critical.  Also run boot in Gun off Jet Motion.

Boot is definitely one of our Go To Plays-we run it 5 to 7 times per game, or more.

I see at College and Pro practices all the time where they have three and four QB's running plays in unison so they can see there footwork and I guess to make sure all have similar paths, spacing and timing.

I am thinking of trying this practice routine this year.  We spend a ton of time on footwork for Boot and Flood and I thought this may help get more work in as I want all four QB's playing and able to run all plays.

Has anyone ever tried this and what were your results?

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
June 30, 2019 3:12 pm  

At least 2 teams I've coached on with kids did that.  One team passed so little it didn't matter.  The other wound up with only one of those players quarterbacking.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
June 30, 2019 4:55 pm  

Dollar

We do it quite often. So let's use boot as an example, One QB will throw the short route & the other the deeper route. Now everyone is getting work all receivers are catching, & you are getting quality reps.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 7, 2019 11:09 am  

I think the real question is do you have a coach who can watch each qb for each rep? You can line up multiple qbs if you want but you have to make sure they are getting good reps. One of the worst things we can do to a kid is allow bad reps. It is hard to watch more than one at a time. Doing it like Joe describes adds efficiency to a practice which is my number one point of emphasis when talking to young coaches. Just make sure you can critque properly.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 7, 2019 11:19 am  

One of the worst things we can do to a kid is allow bad reps. It is hard to watch more than one at a time.

Which is why excessive scrimmaging does more harm than good.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 7, 2019 11:27 am  

Yup but scrimmaging has real value with little dudes so they can get used to actually playing the game. Older kids benefit more from smaller scale stuff like inside drill. Preaching to the choir I know.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
July 7, 2019 1:53 pm  

I like the idea of throwing two routes.

Last year one of the mistakes I noted was not getting enough reps of QB throwing to receivers. 

This year we are adding a block of time in our Offensive Individuals Groups where just Center, QB and Receivers are together running plays(routes). 

Maybe 7 to 10 minutes one or two days every week.

Then we would also get our reps in other parts of groups and also in scrimmages.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 7, 2019 4:50 pm  

Great teaching tool,  especially with very technical systems

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 8, 2019 9:46 am  

We do it occasionally when the situation allows. Usually Mahonz and the OC will be working on a particular play or route combo on one side. Another coach will realize that on the "dead" side, we have 2 receivers running routes and 2 DBs covering, so we'll grab the other QB (if he's available) and have him throw to a receiver on the "dead side" while a coach throws to the other receiver. Win/win because the QB, receivers and DBs all "steal" reps. Worked for us because we have a lot of coaches. We also go out of the gun a lot. I'm pretty sure Mahonz wouldn't tolerate a 2nd QB when the primary is under center because we mesh a lot. We could put that QB out of the way, but he's missing the footwork part of it. Regardless, if it starts annoying Mahonz, he won't hesitate to let us know.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 8, 2019 12:01 pm  

Yup but scrimmaging has real value with little dudes so they can get used to actually playing the game.

Yes, but 20 minutes of wrong/uncorrected scrimmaging equals 1 hour of wrong/uncorrected (based on 3-day practices).  And unless there's a coach to watch every player, or you're filming practice to review that night, to correct the next day, then that's a whole lotta wrong that's going uncorrected.  Then on game day, the Header is fussing about kids not doing it right.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
July 8, 2019 12:23 pm  

The Air Raid college teams will do this during their "Routes on Air" drill.  They do it more to maximize reps throwing and catching, as well as teach progression, than to work on footwork.  Footwork is worked on during individual QB drills when the coaches can really dial in on footwork.

The way they do it, if they have 5 receivers going out on the play, the starting QB will throw the 1st receiver in the progression, his backup throws the #2 progression, 3rd QB throws to the 3rd progression, etc.  That's on each play.  Then they rotate through until each one gets a rep throwing to each receiver in the progression.

That way each QB gets a rep making the throw and each receiver gets a ball to catch on the play.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
July 8, 2019 1:27 pm  

Do you put the QB's side by side a yard or two to apart-both on the line of scrimmage?  Each with his own center?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 8, 2019 3:46 pm  

Do you put the QB's side by side a yard or two to apart-both on the line of scrimmage?  Each with his own center?

You can use a Center for both, but we don't.  We generally use a Center for one QB, while the other QB starts with the ball already own his hands.

They are at shotgun-depth, generally only a couple of yards apart.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 14, 2019 8:26 am  

Let's take Stick as an example:

We have 3 QB's 3 snappers, the snappers can be centers or someone else to snap. One QB calls the cadence, the qb's are about 1 yd apart. The widest 1 throws the Honey hole shot on the Go, the next the out, the third the Stick. After each rep the QB's rotate. In 5 minutes we can get 15 reps each QB throwing 5 reps to each spot. One coach focuses on the Hole Shot another the Out Stick.

Each day we will do this with one route  combination. This really gets them quality reps.

Joe

PS I understand at Youth you maynot have 3 QB's, so only do 2. Either way focus on quality reps, but still going fast.

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
August 16, 2019 7:23 am  

Joe,

We have done this your way this week and it has been awesome. 

We are doing two QB's at a time throwing to one receiver each.

This week we installed Boot and Pop Pass using the QB's in Unison during Offensive Individual.

On Boot, one QB throws to TE on Drag Route and the other QB throws to FB on Arrow.

On Pop one throws to TE on Vertical and the other to the FB on vertical.

We are getting twice the reps with one drill.

It also very helpful to see the two QB together and to fix spacing, steps and timing issues.

I can film next week if anyone would like to see what it looks like.

ReplyQuote
Share: