Notifications

Questions  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

rexs5413
(@rexs5413)
Copper
March 20, 2019 11:06 am  

Hey guys, I am running the Cisar UBSW for 10u unweighted spring ball and I have a question. We live in a little small in northern Arizona and our club has had lots of success in the Northern Arizona Youth Football League when we are playing against teams with similar Talent levels. Part of what makes us better then our competition is the fact that we go down to Phoenix during the Spring to play much better competition. All the teams that we will play this spring are select teams with tons of talent. And while I will have a team of 9 and 10 year olds on my 10U team, the competition down there will almost always have a 10U team full of 11 year olds that met the league age cutoff to play on the 10U team. In other words they will have an older than 10U team. That's not to say we haven't had some success down there, but we are usually on the short side for size and speed. We have the blocking down for all of the first 10 plays in the system. I have very smart tough mountain kids that will not shy away from competition and they have really taken a liking to the unbalanced single wing and I'm hoping that it will give us a little more success down there against the more talented teams. Any advice you guys could give me would be awesome. Now back to my question, when running 16 power or 18 sweep and 18 sweet pass I am very concerned about leaving the backside defensive end unblocked. As I stated above the speed on the other team lends me to believe that they will be able to run my running backs down from behind as they are being patient waiting for the blocks to develop. Should I tell my left end 2 forget the god block and hook block the defensive end? Thanks for any advice you can give me. Our first game is on Saturday against the Arizona Tide, a team that has gone 30 and 0 in the last 3 Seasons in 10U. Going to be a real challenge. We also adopted the 62 wide tackle in the fall and it was very successful for us. Going to be interesting to see how we do with it against the Phoenix teams that throw the ball a little more. Thanks for your time and help.

Coach Rex

angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
March 20, 2019 11:26 am  

Teach the block and identify it with a tag. Then you can have it ready, if needed.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
rexs5413
(@rexs5413)
Copper
March 20, 2019 11:47 am  

Thanks bud that's exactly what I had in mind. I just wasn't certain if anyone else this issue or concern and wanted to see what had worked for others. Thanks for the reply!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
March 20, 2019 11:49 am  

Along with teaching the block I would also play with spacing away from the center. Unseen by the sidelines and not noticed by a 10 YO.
Teach both let him make up the tag call

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 20, 2019 11:49 am  

I have very smart tough mountain kids

--Are "very tough mountain kids" somehow different from garden-variety "very tough kids?"

As I stated above the speed on the other team lends me to believe that they will be able to run my running backs down from behind as they are being patient waiting for the blocks to develop.

--Not sure how you're teaching your UBCisarWing, but your problem could be in having your RBs "being patient waiting for the blocks to develop."  I've not run the SW, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn and I'm not teaching my Backs to wait on much of anything (except my Fullback when he runs Counter Trap).  Sounds like your o-line needs to get into their blocks quicker, instead of having Backs be patient.  My defense would love to play against a patient runningback.  Our defensive approach would be to focus on the problem that you're already anticipating having.

Should I tell my left end 2 forget the god block and hook block the defensive end?

--Based on how you are teaching your ball-carriers, someone should account for the backside defensive pursuit.  Who you think is best up to the task, and how you decide to tag it is up to you.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
March 20, 2019 12:09 pm  

I am leaning towards DP's response.  Unless you use Zone Blocking Concepts (not normal for Single, Double, or Wing T), Its hit the Hole NOW, with authority!  I would direct you to either wait for Dave C to respond or PM him with your question.

Who better to answer?  ๐Ÿ˜‰

WELCOME to the madness!!

Dusty

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
vikingdw
(@vikingdw)
Copper
March 20, 2019 12:44 pm  

Run the chaser drill DC talks about in his system...it works.
Put your fastest DE in at practice and try and see if he can rundown your RB.
I've always made my TB step with his left foot first when running 16 Power or 18 Sweep (crossover step). He'll get there faster and away from backside quicker.
Like others have said, your RB cannot hesitate. Get to the hole quick.
I know DC doesn't use the TAG anymore but he used to have the QB/FB cross back and blow that guy up every once in a while. I've done that with success before but haven't used it for a long time time since I didn't have anyone chase us down from the backside after implementing the steps above.
-Have a great scrimmage and keep us posted!

ReplyQuote
rexs5413
(@rexs5413)
Copper
March 20, 2019 1:29 pm  

Believe me I definitely don't teach them to be patient waiting for the hole to develop. I always tell them to hit it hard and as fast as possible and cut inside the blocking backs kick out. Our tailback usually does a really good job with this but on occasion has to slow down a step or two when he reaches the line of scrimmage due to a little traffic. And it is almost a guarantee that the teams that we will be playing will be super fast off the edge and aggressive. We will be able to use this to our advantage on the traps and counters, but I worry about the backside Pursuit on our sweeps and 18 sweet pass.

ReplyQuote
rexs5413
(@rexs5413)
Copper
March 20, 2019 2:04 pm  

I am definitely not a single wing Guru by any means. I am a pistol guy. And zone blocking is my thing but we are putting in the system exactly how Dave C lays it out. I got his books and DVDs and we as a coaching staff are just following along. We are hoping that the deception of the single wing will help us to offset our speed disadvantage a little.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
March 20, 2019 3:25 pm  

I posted this in another post of yours asking the same question:

I've been running the system for several years from 1st and 2nd graders all the way up to 7th and 8th graders in what I would consider fairly athletic leagues.  The only time we have had issues with the backside DE running down the plays are when the DE is jumping the snap count or the #1 is simply not getting to the hole quick enough.  The first you can fix with no play and the other with chaser drills.  Also depending on the defenses alignment the LE will block the backside DE (GOO Rule) if no one is in his gap or on him on 18 Sweep Pass.  I hope that helps.

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
March 20, 2019 7:47 pm  

Hey guys, I am running the Cisar UBSW for 10u unweighted spring ball and I have a question. We live in a little small in northern Arizona and our club has had lots of success in the Northern Arizona Youth Football League when we are playing against teams with similar Talent levels. Part of what makes us better then our competition is the fact that we go down to Phoenix during the Spring to play much better competition. All the teams that we will play this spring are select teams with tons of talent. And while I will have a team of 9 and 10 year olds on my 10U team, the competition down there will almost always have a 10U team full of 11 year olds that met the league age cutoff to play on the 10U team. In other words they will have an older than 10U team. That's not to say we haven't had some success down there, but we are usually on the short side for size and speed. We have the blocking down for all of the first 10 plays in the system. I have very smart tough mountain kids that will not shy away from competition and they have really taken a liking to the unbalanced single wing and I'm hoping that it will give us a little more success down there against the more talented teams. Any advice you guys could give me would be awesome. Now back to my question, when running 16 power or 18 sweep and 18 sweet pass I am very concerned about leaving the backside defensive end unblocked. As I stated above the speed on the other team lends me to believe that they will be able to run my running backs down from behind as they are being patient waiting for the blocks to develop. Should I tell my left end 2 forget the god block and hook block the defensive end?

I think the 1st thing you have to answer is how you're going to treat this spring swing competitively.  If you're using it specifically to tune up for your fall season, as you imply, then what's the use of making an adjustment just for them?  Only if you want to be competitive in both should you think about adjusting your game for both.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
March 21, 2019 6:45 am  

I think the 1st thing you have to answer is how you're going to treat this spring swing competitively.  If you're using it specifically to tune up for your fall season, as you imply, then what's the use of making an adjustment just for them?  Only if you want to be competitive in both should you think about adjusting your game for both.

Oh Ballonie!

A fan tag only takes 30 seconds of practice time in O-Line individuals.  Put it in.  If you never need it, great.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
March 21, 2019 11:24 am  

I never, even against the insanely fast teams from Miami, had a kid chase us down from the backside. Reason being we ran chaser drills and coached the back up to hit the hole fast. There are a few things you can do though. A block tag to take care of that end (fan)can work as long as the guy inside him isn't left free because of it, say a 4 tech. Then you can wrong way pull the guard or blocking back for a nice little surprise to the de. Again, just be sure that who ever you use that for has his front line assignments covered. Having the guard pull left and blast that end should slow him down. Hopefully you have a guard who likes to slobberknocker people because he will have fun hitting that guy when he least expects it. Then you can run counters at the chasing de. That is probably the easiest solution as you should alread have 43 in. In the end, I would really stress chaser drills.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
March 22, 2019 7:17 am  

Where does the 1 back catch the snap?  Admittedly if you're using Cisar depth for the 1 & 2 back it'll make very little difference, but very little might make the difference when it comes to leading the runner with the snap.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
March 22, 2019 7:37 am  

I call the Chaser Drill  (Fox and Hound)  If I see our backfield (Foxes) dragging arse or jogging in practice I grab a few DB's  (Hounds) to drag them down from behind. They get a 2 Mississippi head start. Rule Is if they catch you before you get 5 yards from the LOS, 10 Up-downs!  Very Motivational

๐Ÿ˜€

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: