Questions to ask Ne...

Notifications

Questions to ask New Organizations  

RSS

illinoisguy
(@illinoisguy)
Copper
February 5, 2020 7:44 am  

I am looking at a number of leagues for my son to play in this fall (it will be his first time playing tackle football) and was wondering what questions I should be asking each league.  My son will be going into 7th grade.  So what makes a good organization/team?

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 5, 2020 8:52 am  

Ide try and talk to some families maybe that participate in the org. 

I would look for stability, good equipment, facilities, organized, and enrollment. Chances are the more kids in an org the more likely yours will have a good experience. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
February 5, 2020 10:23 am  
Posted by: @illinoisguy

I am looking at a number of leagues for my son to play in this fall (it will be his first time playing tackle football) and was wondering what questions I should be asking each league.  My son will be going into 7th grade.  So what makes a good organization/team?

If they have a website that archives previous year(s) standings, look at the divisions and make sure all teams played the same number of games. If they list scores look for any 1-0 or 2-0 scores. Forfeits are a sure sign there is some trouble. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 5, 2020 1:34 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz   If they list scores look for any 1-0 or 2-0 scores. Forfeits are a sure sign there is some trouble. 

Or a sign that they don't maintain their site.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 5, 2020 1:41 pm  
Posted by: @illinoisguy

I don't know that there are a particular set of questions that suit youth football any more than they would suit any other type of org that you were interested in.  Experience of their staff?  How does one get to coach there?  What training and certifications does the staff have?  Do they have a record of success and why/why not?  Can you attend an off-season meeting or spring/summer camp to help get the lay of the land?  But most often in youth football, it's simply the blind leading the blind and if you think it should be of a higher quality than what you are seeing, you will need to roll up your sleeves and pitch in.  Keep in mind that most of those involved, are there for their own personal gain and you will need to be able to navigate those waters.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 6, 2020 3:01 pm  

What are the rules unique to your org and/or league?

Why are they in place?

How are they enforced? Can you give an example of a coach who broke a rule and what was done about it?

Specifically, what is your minimum play rule? How is it enforced? How effective is it?

When they answer, there are certain red flags:

"case by case"

"honor system"

Anything about mandatory formations, techniques, procedures (no QB keeps, must hand off, no blitzing, must play "man" coverage, etc.)

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 6, 2020 3:05 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Specifically, what is your minimum play rule? How is it enforced? How effective is it?

I would probably not have my son participate if there wasn't a MANDATED MPR rule.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 6, 2020 10:17 pm  

@coachdp

A tale of 3 MPR rules.

Our current league has one. When my son played, it was STRICTLY enforced. The only coach that I knew who violated it and got away with it had his parents "cook the books". Now, I hear about coaches breaking the rule all the time. From conversations I've had with board members, it's all about the BoD not getting angry emails.

The "other" Fall league has one. I haven't coached in it for a long time, but when I coached with Kent, another club actually asked us to monitor one of their coaches when we played against him. He ignored the rule and our play counter brought it up at halftime. Coach melted down, screaming and cussing at our play counter, a mom. We said "screw it", stopped counting his plays and finished the game. We got beat pretty badly, too. A few years later, a buddy and I took over a sad sack team in this league. Same club as "melt down" coach. Anyway, our parents were shocked that we were actually serious about playing everyone. They went through 3 straight seasons of "Jimmy might get in the game next week if we get ahead."

Spring league has one. LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!  Whatever. Our arch rival (who I am undefeated against) had a dedicated kicker. The only way this kid got his mandatory 14 plays is if they scored 7 TDs. Everyone knew about it, complained about it. Nothing was done. League guy told me that they trust coaches to follow the "honor system". 

Hence, why I would ask a new org about their MPR rules and listen for BS when they answer.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze
Colorado
Retired
February 7, 2020 1:47 pm  

You can have good coaches with bad clubs and bad coaches with good clubs.  It isn't so much the league as it is the group of coaches your son plays for.

When my youngest son was going into the 8th grade, he told me he hated playing for coaches who knew less about football than he did.  He wasn't arrogant by any means.  His coaches were nice people.  They just didn't dedicate as much time to the game as my son.  He told me he wanted to talk with prospective coaches and he would make the decision.  He just needed my help finding coaches.  Since I was on the football board, I helped identify potential teams.  I found a club with an 8th grade team looking for a few players.  I worked with the club coordinators to set up an time when my son would be able to interview the coach.  Fortune would have it that my son and the coach's son were playing in the same lacrosse tournament.  So, my son interviewed the coach at the tournament.  I had nothing to do with the interview.  It was all my son.  He decided to play for this coach and to this day, wishes he had played for him for more than one year.  The coach was a hard ass and pushed my son relentlessly.  That is what my son wanted more than X's and O's.  He did get those, too.

It isn't as much about how you feel about a coaching staff.  It is about your son.  I would suggest that your son speak with prospective coaches.  He is old enough to start taking on some of the responsibility.  It won't be long and he will be in high school where he will be expected to take care of business.  Not mom and dad.

Kent

ReplyQuote
Share: