Clear all

Ripped Off by a Dum Coach Forum Member

Page 8 / 8

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

JRK5150's information:

telephone number: 716 867 5309

notable achievements: once won a sauerkraut eating competition in Deutschland.

has two Pomeranian dogs named mork and mindy.

enjoys ban hammers and youth football.

LOL.  Damn  Outed.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I hear what you're saying Mike, but I think some of your thoughts are misplaced given this situation. Specifically, if you're going to use this forum to conduct a financial transaction and you screw the other party, yes, you deserve to be outed with a real name. I do agree with anonymity to the best extant possible, but nothing is truly anonymous.  If you search enough on here you'll find my real name used by others, even though I choose to use an alias to maintain some privacy. If I wasn't okay with that possibility, then I shouldn't have given anyone on here my real name.

J

I have been on this Forum long enough to know this is a very rare occurrence.

I have also been around long enough that I have learned a lot of first and last names of many Members via PM's emails and phone conversations. Many use a Handle that is not their real name so I respect their privacy by addressing them on the Public Forum with a single letter.

I know your name....where you live because I have snail mailed stuff too you....know your phone number...where you work because you told me and have had the pleasure of meeting you in person....but here... you are still "J" too me.

But I seem to be in the minority here so since we are a Community.... majority must Rule. Plus its always Clark's call. Im just a worker bee and totally cool with that.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

I know your name....where you live because I have snail mailed stuff too you....know your phone number...where you work because you told me and have had the pleasure of meeting you in person....but here... you are still "J" too me.

Which I prefer and appreciate. There have been times when my name was used in a thread and I cringe a bit, but not that big of a deal to me, I actually used my name on here for a while, then stopped.

All that said, if I screw you over in a deal, all bets are off, I don't deserve that respect of your maintaining my privacy.

And, if for whatever reason I was in a ditch and couldn't respond, and eventually am able to, this can all be undone with another thread saying all is well. There is no permanent damage done, not here. Putting up a sign in his yard or outing him on the news, well, that's perhaps irrevocable, but this isn't.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Which I prefer and appreciate. There have been times when my name was used in a thread and I cringe a bit, but not that big of a deal to me, I actually used my name on here for a while, then stopped.

All that said, if I screw you over in a deal, all bets are off, I don't deserve that respect of your maintaining my privacy.

And, if for whatever reason I was in a ditch and couldn't respond, and eventually am able to, this can all be undone with another thread saying all is well. There is no permanent damage done, not here. Putting up a sign in his yard or outing him on the news, well, that's perhaps irrevocable, but this isn't.

J

Good points.

I hope that this does get resolved.

While on the subject.....

Never wise to say things on this Forum that you cant take back. I learned that the hard way.

When I was on the Board for one of the local Youth Organization that is a multi Sport Org so lots of Board Members....I went off on a serious rant about our Treasurer on Dumcoach. At the time I needed to unload with my Buddies ( Forum Members). Well...at the next Board Meeting without my knowledge the Treasure had a full printout of my rant and handed it out to everyone present. I had to apologize to the Board face to face and in front of some others that happened to be present on other business.

VERY embarrassing.

Lesson learned...Dumcoach is still a part of the World Wide Web.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

M -

I imagine that paypal's policies are somewhere.  It seems that most people learn from experience rather than knowing how things work.  Somewhat related - a handful of years ago I posted a motor for sale online.  Someone contacted me, said they wanted to buy the motor and they sent a check.  The same day I was chatting with a guy that I work with who said that his son sold something online and someone sent a check and it was for more than the amount he was asking.  His son being an honest kid, contacted to buyer.  The buyer said that his business partner had made a mistake and to just cash the check and wire the difference back to him at the same time he mailed the product.  Turns out, this was a scam involving forged bank checks and I almost got hit with it too...fortunately for my buddies' son, he took it to the bank that it was drawn on and they cashed it directly for him...and later tried to recoup the funds.  Had I cashed it at my bank, my bank would have nailed me for the forgery and taken the money out of my account.

That's a good example of not knowing how bank checks work (not personal checks).  I was always under the impression that a bank check, for the most part, was as good as cash....yet it's not.  I hope that answers your question...paypal does give buyer protection for up to 30 days, anything beyond that it's buyer beware.

With regards to personal information on the internet.  If you screw people over, especially in a small, close knit community like this...I think it's completely reasonable to be outed with your personal information.  As far as general anonymity: I think we all want a certain level of it as a matter of strategy and privacy.  Hell, I don't necessarily want the teams I'm playing this season to know me, my weaknesses, the system I'm trying to run etc.  I also want to be able to come to this forum and complain or ask for assistance with politics and such without it being a matter of public record...I think it was that movie about Facebook where the girl says "The internet doesn't come with an eraser" or something like that.  I always try to keep that in mind...perhaps I'm somewhat paranoid when it comes to I.T. after working in the field for so long, but I don't love the idea of people being able to "google" my name and come up with anything noteworthy...whether it's photos of me and my family, where I work, what I do in my spare time or whatever.  Some of you guys don't have problems like this when you've got a name like Mike Smith.  Me...fairly unique last name, although the ambiguity of the last name is enough to screw google up enough in most cases...at least for now.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

M -

I imagine that paypal's policies are somewhere.  It seems that most people learn from experience rather than knowing how things work.  Somewhat related - a handful of years ago I posted a motor for sale online.  Someone contacted me, said they wanted to buy the motor and they sent a check.  The same day I was chatting with a guy that I work with who said that his son sold something online and someone sent a check and it was for more than the amount he was asking.  His son being an honest kid, contacted to buyer.  The buyer said that his business partner had made a mistake and to just cash the check and wire the difference back to him at the same time he mailed the product.  Turns out, this was a scam involving forged bank checks and I almost got hit with it too...fortunately for my buddies' son, he took it to the bank that it was drawn on and they cashed it directly for him...and later tried to recoup the funds.  Had I cashed it at my bank, my bank would have nailed me for the forgery and taken the money out of my account.

That's a good example of not knowing how bank checks work (not personal checks).  I was always under the impression that a bank check, for the most part, was as good as cash....yet it's not.  I hope that answers your question...paypal does give buyer protection for up to 30 days, anything beyond that it's buyer beware.

With regards to personal information on the internet.  If you screw people over, especially in a small, close knit community like this...I think it's completely reasonable to be outed with your personal information.  As far as general anonymity: I think we all want a certain level of it as a matter of strategy and privacy.  Hell, I don't necessarily want the teams I'm playing this season to know me, my weaknesses, the system I'm trying to run etc.  I also want to be able to come to this forum and complain or ask for assistance with politics and such without it being a matter of public record...I think it was that movie about Facebook where the girl says "The internet doesn't come with an eraser" or something like that.  I always try to keep that in mind...perhaps I'm somewhat paranoid when it comes to I.T. after working in the field for so long, but I don't love the idea of people being able to "google" my name and come up with anything noteworthy...whether it's photos of me and my family, where I work, what I do in my spare time or whatever.  Some of you guys don't have problems like this when you've got a name like Mike Smith.  Me...fairly unique last name, although the ambiguity of the last name is enough to screw google up enough in most cases...at least for now.

K

Good post. There are scams everywhere but you'd think a Company like Paypal would add to that level of trust for everyone.

And by the way you do have the perfect Internet screen name.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Dave

Ill PM you some advice on what to do . 

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share: