Same Ol' Same Ol'

Notifications
Clear all

Same Ol' Same Ol'

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Three weeks ago, our Varsity head football coach decided to resign and take the position of Athletic Director at another school.  He had named me the JV head football coach at the end of the season.  When he resigned, we were assured by the principal and AD that no one was losing their jobs and that we would stay the course, it being so close to the start of the season.  Today, the school hired a new head football coach.  (Our first scrimmage game is in 7 days.)  The new header is changing the signals to our offense, has replaced our (my) OC with a guy he brought with him, and is taking over the JV team, as well.  Sooo....Coach Williams and myself are out of a job once again.  

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @coachdp

Three weeks ago, our Varsity head football coach decided to resign and take the position of Athletic Director at another school.  He had named me the JV head football coach at the end of the season.  When he resigned, we were assured by the principal and AD that no one was losing their jobs and that we would stay the course, it being so close to the start of the season.  Today, the school hired a new head football coach.  (Our first scrimmage game is in 7 days.)  The new header is changing the signals to our offense, has replaced our (my) OC with a guy he brought with him, and is taking over the JV team, as well.  Sooo....Coach Williams and myself are out of a job once again.  

--Dave

Terrible how things like this happen.  I've witnessed a few scenarios like this, amazing the lack of loyalty some districts have for there coaches.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

--Dave

Sorry to hear that, Coach! I was really looking to reading about your success in this forum.

I also feel bad for the kids. That's not a lot of time to learn new terminology, signals, and scheme. 

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

--Dave

Wow. Just like that? No interview? No AC offer? Just goodbye? 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Sorry that it happened that way.  Late changes right before the season rarely have a decent outcome.  Especially when those they are familiar with are ousted.  Good Luck Dave!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I've had 3 offers to coach at the HS level and I responded to each with a polite, but firm "no thank you". It's a brutal racket and it sucks when people I know and care about get trampled by it. Ever consider coming back to youth, Dave?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

Wow. Just like that? No interview? No AC offer? Just goodbye? 

Just like that. Except that they said I could still be on the staff.  I just wasn't running the JV.  And then they replaced my OC with someone who doesn't show up until Saturday...

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

I've had 3 offers to coach at the HS level and I responded to each with a polite, but firm "no thank you". It's a brutal racket and it sucks when people I know and care about get trampled by it. Ever consider coming back to youth, Dave?

When I was a youth header, I spent 12 years with the same org.  No surprises and a lot of consistency.  In 11 years coaching high school ball, I've been at 5 schools, having been the HC at 3 of them (4 technically, if you count this one.)  Lar, I'm actually going to watch a friend's youth practice this evening.  He's a Single Wing guy and I asked him if I could stop by.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@coachdp While I was busy feeling bad for you, I just thought of your players. The local 5A football factory had the longtime HC retire. He's actually an AC at his son's HS now, so "retire" is a funny word for this situation. My guys are going into their senior year. After investing 3 years of their lives with a guy, they are now under a HC whose highest responsibility was "Assistant HC" at a 3A school with a perennial .500 record. Not saying he can't do great things, but will he do great things in his first year? Thinking about those seniors with college hopes and the anxiety they must be going through. Talked to my "Captain America" former player who visited us at practice the other night. He strongly considered quitting as a senior. He took a few days off and thankfully decided to go all in.

So now, I'm thinking of your guys and what they must be going through.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

@coachdp While I was busy feeling bad for you, I just thought of your players. The local 5A football factory had the longtime HC retire. He's actually an AC at his son's HS now, so "retire" is a funny word for this situation. My guys are going into their senior year. After investing 3 years of their lives with a guy, they are now under a HC whose highest responsibility was "Assistant HC" at a 3A school with a perennial .500 record. Not saying he can't do great things, but will he do great things in his first year? Thinking about those seniors with college hopes and the anxiety they must be going through. Talked to my "Captain America" former player who visited us at practice the other night. He strongly considered quitting as a senior. He took a few days off and thankfully decided to go all in.

So now, I'm thinking of your guys and what they must be going through.

Captain America has been working for me all summer. He is pissed. I did help talk him off the ledge last Spring. He truly wanted to walk. 

( disclaimer- this coming out of this kids mouth is absolutely shocking....great family....superior ethics...very talented...immensely focused...spectacular teammate) 

Im sure there are many players that are livid Dave is gone. 

Coaches matter but when stuff like this happens you have to wonder if some coaches have lost their way. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @mahonz

Coaches matter but when stuff like this happens you have to wonder if some coaches have lost their way. 

Or in Dave's case, if some administrators have lost their way.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

While I was busy feeling bad for you, I just thought of your players.

Me too.  I've had several parents call, others text, some email.  They tell me how it's affected their son and their feelings on the matter.  It's tough all the way around.  But the parental support has been incredible.  You might think their support would make you feel good, but actually the opposite is true because they want so much for you to be there and you can't.  Horrible feeling...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

@coachdp

In what capacity did they say you could stay on the staff?  And did you weigh what type of impact you could have made on the kids lives if you filled the role they were offering and how it would differ than your ideals?

I'm sure you did, I'm just curious what that thought process was like.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachmiket

In what capacity did they say you could stay on the staff?

--We never got that far in the conversation.

And did you weigh what type of impact you could have made on the kids lives if you filled the role they were offering and how it would differ than your ideals?

--No, I didn't weigh it.  He told me he was going to coach it.  Given that I was told jobs for existing staff wouldn't change, no one was getting fired, the huge amount of work I'd put in since I was given the position and that he was going to take it from me, it was a very short conversation.  

He also complained to another AC that he didn't get his press conference like he was supposed to.

He set this morning's practice time at 30 minutes earlier (7am) and then arrived 10 minutes late even though he lives just across the street from the school.  Add to that, he had dinner the night before with Coach Williams (our OC) and one of the coaches he was bringing in (who turned out to be the new OC).  While Coach Williams laid out the what/why/how/where of our offense, the new header never told him that he was getting replaced by the other guy sitting at the table.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

And of course all the youth teams already started.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Share: