Notifications
Clear all

Saw This Yesterday...

Page 2 / 3

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @coachdp

"Thank you guys for your feedback. I will say we don’t plan on pulling any guards. I plan on just having them blocking their man straight up or driving them to the left or right.

You think he teaches them how to determine who "their man" is?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

You think he teaches them how to determine who "their man" is?

"Teaches?" lol

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coyote

There are little things that make it easier, but the key to any offense or defense action or technique ...
1) repetition,
2) repetitive repetition and
3) redundant repetitive repetition.  

I'll argue your post (because after all, it's what I do).  Repetition (if doing it incorrectly) is just getting you further and further out to sea.  A lot of idiots can demand repetition.  But I see few who are teaching fundamentals correctly, and with expertise.  (They can be two separate things.)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Let me correct, then.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  Most folk repeat until they get it right.  Instead, repeat & repeat again, until you can't get it wrong. 

My H.S. wrestling coach used to tell us it took 2000 correct reps for something to become reflex.  When doing it right is reflexive, the brain become free to work on strategy, tactics and etc. 

This post was modified 5 days ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

Seth54 and CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

I plan on just having them blocking their man straight up or driving them to the left or right."

Translation: I plan on telling them to block their man straight up or driving them to the left or right. When that fails i will yell at them with tried and true gems like "Block somebody" or "Y'all better start blocking". This will be followed by post-game speeches about wanting it more than the other team. After 2 games of abject failure, I will tell them to be ready to run on Monday. By mid-season, I will give up because I don't have any linemen this year, or my guys just aren't physical enough because they didn't grow up in the projects.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Header asked me what I've done to address DW naysayers on the staff. Other than Mahonz, I don't think it's ever come up.

I love the DW....for the next 100 days. 😎

My philosophical problem with the Offense....we ran it 3 season with 2 different teams.... its not rookie coach friendly and it is a bear to troubleshoot during the games. 

The real issue with the DW is that its black and white. There is no grey. I cant think of a single Offense that can paint you into a corner like the DW can. Only the very experienced know how to avoid this. 

Watching Murphys championship film you sent me... what really jumped out was that he was 1-15 on 3rd down conversions. Yet on 4th down  he only punted once....turned it over on downs once and kicked a FG once. That is a real commitment to your system for sure. Im not sure Im wired that way. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote

Let me correct, then.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  Most folk repeat until they get it right.  Instead, repeat & repeat again, until you can't get it wrong.

And yet I still trip over air for no apparent reason. 😂

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

One of my ACs is the HC of a 3rd grade team. I am an AC for that team. He decided that he wants to run the DW and is all in. He ran the UBSW and Beast with great success in the past. His mastery of wedge is up there with Troy. In fact, I put him in charge of my wedge game.

Last year, the little guys were in USAF Rookie. 8 man and plenty of stupid rules that half the teams simply ignored. We had 11 kids including 3 triplets with what I would call extreme behavior issues. It was a disaster by every measure. This year, due to another team folding and an influx of new players, we are at 22. We gained depth, size, speed . . . we are going to be a team to reckon with.

We also have an influx of coaches. They have a lot of great energy, but some are pushing back on the DW and the GAM defense.

"Why is the tailback so close? Let's move him back"

"What is the reasoning behind having them crossover when pulling? I was always taught the 'lawnmower' method?"

"Why are you pulling with 3rd graders? I think we just need to have a dive, a sweep and a QB sneak."

"Why are you pitching the ball? I think handoffs would be more secure at this age?"

"I really like the Spread"

"Why do you want Joey at QB? Have you seen Jimmy throw the ball?"

HC isn't budging and neither am I, although I did have to sell the HC on the crossover step. Once I demo'd it, a light bulb went on. There are 3 of us coaches who are 100% onboard with the DW. 3 seem to be okay with whatever. 2 are challenging every other concept.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many dudes with whistles think that coaching is about finding bigger, faster kids who are naturally more aggressive than the other guys'.

First season we ran the DW at the semi pro level the DC was NOT all in. Didn't matter. We started the season 1-3 running the Meyers read read spread with a QB that was not up to the task. We were the 4 time defending Champs. Header was the OL coach at Chatfield and at the time they were running the DW. 

At the mid season break....4th of July he asked me what I knew about the DW. I told him enough to fake it since we had the best OL in the League. Plus I had to get the football out of my QB's hands and we were built to run spread. Half the team quit. I had to shuffle talent to make it work but all the OLM stuck it out and LOVED it!. We installed the basics in 2 practice sessions...expanded over the last 5 regular season games....snuck into the playoffs and won our 5th championship in a row completely shocking the League. 

The DC apologized to me at our banquet.  

The next season I had the RMAC player of the year at QB. Holy Cow! He invented the XX toss option  that only his footwork abilities could accomplish. 

We won our 6th championship in a row. 

That offseason the Owner told us to stick a fork in it because the fans hated it. 😢

This post was modified 5 days ago 3 times by mahonz

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

BTW one of our Officials played DL for that semi pro team. His father was the DC that absolutely hated the DW. I mostly see him doing Broomfield games at the Commons. I will introduce you to him if you have not met him already. 

Every time I see him he thanks me for the rings. 😎

This post was modified 5 days ago by mahonz

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @mahonz

First season we ran the DW at the semi pro level the DC was NOT all in. Didn't matter. We started the season 1-3 running the Meyers read read spread with a QB that was not up to the task. We were the 4 time defending Champs. Header was the OL coach at Chatfield and at the time they were running the DW. 

At the mid season break....4th of July he asked me what I knew about the DW. I told him enough to fake it since we had the best OL in the League. Plus I had to get the football out of my QB's hands and we were built to run spread. Half the team quit. I had to shuffle talent to make it work but all the OLM stuck it out and LOVED it!. We installed the basics in 2 practice sessions...expanded over the last 5 regular season games....snuck into the playoffs and won our 5th championship in a row completely shocking the League. 

The next season I had the RMAC player of the year at QB. Holy Cow! He invented the XX toss option  that only his footwork abilities could accomplish. 

That offseason the Owner told us to stick a fork in it because the fans hated it. 😢

Was there a paying audience?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

Was there a paying audience?

Yes and concessions were very profitable. One $50 16 gal keg of beer will pour 170 12 ounce beers at $5 each. A $1.00 bag of popcorn costs $0.07 to make...and so on. Our typical Home crowd was 2K people. The Gate was typically $5. Then you had merchandise that was marked up 150%. We did raffles as well. Buy a $500 BBQ and sell 1K raffle tickets for $2 each. This was 15 years ago. 

The goal was to get $20 out of every fan for all home games and playoffs. Playoffs were big paydays because you had lots of fans that would travel. Crowds were typically 3K. The Championship game the League would host so they took a good chunk of the profits. 

Then we would play some post post season games. Mostly fundraisers for a local community so no profits to be made. Those were all break even ventures but good PR. Those games bought a ton of equipment for some HS teams, for example. 

Just like the NFL promotes scoring to put butts in the seats...semi pro was no different. The fans were not interested in watching paint dry which is true for any run heavy Offense.... and believe me average folks do not understand the DW. I heard plenty from them. 

Our biggest fundraiser was playing a preseason game against an AFL2 indoor arena team every year. We would retool our 11 man team to play 9 man Nintendo football and practice for a month leading up. They would give us 2K tickets that we would sell for $15 each and we always sold out. Plus we had our own booth for merchandise that always sold out. We had virtually no overhead so it was a big money maker. The games would draw about 12k fans and they flippin hated us. The OC was allowed on the field behind the formation. I had to jump the wall a few times to avoid getting killed....the fans would throw me back. Good times for sure. 😎

Back when I was an Owner it cost about $150K per year to field a team properly and money was always tight. I tried to get to $0 spent by seasons end. I was close. The major expense was travel. Teams that traveled well won a ton of games so we traveled well. Had to beat the teams from Utah loaded with Samoans if they were a road game or else we would have to travel there again for the playoffs. Those teams were always really good.  Had a couple of pretty good Sponsors and we were the only team in the League where it was legal to sell beer in our Home stadium. We sold lots of beer but that meant hiring the Sheriffs Dept for added security. It was worth it. 

So the Owner at the time upset with our Offense was valid. At the time I didn't understand but then I became the Bean Counter. 

I purchased the team the year after we stopped running the DW. Sold it after 2 seasons. Too much work. Too many shysters'. I got a paying job from one of the AFL2 teams during that time. One day we showed up and the Owner was in jail for 160 counts of mortgage fraud. 😲 That gig only lasted half a season. 

This post was modified 3 days ago by mahonz

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Mahonz's answer to me was of great interest because for years I've been wondering about the feasibility of a professional nationwide (or close to it) minor league that could be run as a single entity that would be cheap but profitable, promising fans 75% of the quality of the NFL at 25% of the cost, and oriented toward attendance.  I figured travel would be a major part of the expenses, so would have the great majority of play within geographically concentrated circuits.  Good to know most of the revenue would be from sales other than tickets.

Is there a price point these days where a "Budget Football League" would be viable?  Where people knew in advance that the entire league was below the bottom of the NFL in quality, and had no sentiment connected to traditional institutions, but would pay for the experience of it as live, in-person entertainment that would be available near their neighborhood, and where they might know one or two of the star players as locals?  Where the team could afford the practice time during the season that the players didn't need to be independently wealthy hobbyists, but could be technically 75% as good as major league pros, and devote almost a third of their year to it at least part time?  Or where audiences would keep coming to laugh at them, with the emphasis on "keep coming"?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Mahonz's answer to me was of great interest because for years I've been wondering about the feasibility of a professional nationwide (or close to it) minor league that could be run as a single entity that would be cheap but profitable, promising fans 75% of the quality of the NFL at 25% of the cost, and oriented toward attendance.  I figured travel would be a major part of the expenses, so would have the great majority of play within geographically concentrated circuits.  Good to know most of the revenue would be from sales other than tickets.

Is there a price point these days where a "Budget Football League" would be viable?  Where people knew in advance that the entire league was below the bottom of the NFL in quality, and had no sentiment connected to traditional institutions, but would pay for the experience of it as live, in-person entertainment that would be available near their neighborhood, and where they might know one or two of the star players as locals?  Where the team could afford the practice time during the season that the players didn't need to be independently wealthy hobbyists, but could be technically 75% as good as major league pros, and devote almost a third of their year to it at least part time?  Or where audiences would keep coming to laugh at them, with the emphasis on "keep coming"?

I believe that is exactly where the USFL is headed. They played all games at one venue for a reason. Now all teams will play some actual home games. Travel is always a killer expense wise. Although it is odd that so many of the USFL teams are from NFL cities. Maybe they are figuring support for football already exists so give those NFL fans something to do in the Spring. Still one would think a city like San Antonio that is starving for an NFL team would at least have a USFL team. All other major league sports have some type of feeder system. The NFL needs one as well. 

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

I think one of the starts to making this kind of "minor league football" profitable is playing in appropriate stadiums. I would think it would be much more cost effective to play in smaller venues (high school or small college) but I'm sure there are other issues involved in that.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

Cool stuff. I would definitely go watch semi-pro games in the Spring if it had a few compelling elements like some colorful heroes and villains, recycled local stars, and maybe a few on field brawls. You know, flash the game up a little like wrestling. Not fake play, but encourage all the extracurricular antics. Make it look like the original Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds.

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: