Notifications
Clear all

Saw This Yesterday...

Page 3 / 3

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @troy

Cool stuff. I would definitely go watch semi-pro games in the Spring if it had a few compelling elements like some colorful heroes and villains, recycled local stars, and maybe a few on field brawls. You know, flash the game up a little like wrestling. Not fake play, but encourage all the extracurricular antics. Make it look like the original Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds.

I'd definitely go for product differentiation, but not encouraging brawls.  I'd have the game be similar enough to what they're used to to still look like football (more so than Arena), but different enough to be slightly confusing and hence surprising.  One of the many things I'd do is simplify the scoring, eliminating everything but the touchdown (renamed a "delivery") and field goal (just "point").  Think people would think the game too "low scoring" when scores are reported and a touchdown counts as 2 points?  Even if everything else "goes up to 11"?

And additional at-field entertainment like live music (exposure for local bands), fireworks, and the like.  Inter-division games (which would be just one per team per season to reduce travel) would be part of a twin bill with an in-division one.  Games should go much faster, partly from timing differences but mostly because no live broadcasts, hence no ad breaks.  Aim to finish single games in 2 hours or less, which is about the limit for most live entertainment, not counting opening acts and pre-game and post-game time to sell chatchkas.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @bob-goodman
I'd definitely go for product differentiation, but not encouraging brawls.  I'd have the game be similar enough to what they're used to to still look like football (more so than Arena), but different enough to be slightly confusing and hence surprising.

One thing I've thought lately is to use an Australian football.  Close to American/Canadian dimensions but slightly more prolate, and rounded instead of pointy at the ends.  I'm thinking it'd be both more aerodynamic for passing and easier to drop-kick.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I'd definitely go for product differentiation, but not encouraging brawls.  I'd have the game be similar enough to what they're used to to still look like football (more so than Arena), but different enough to be slightly confusing and hence surprising.

One thing I've thought lately is to use an Australian football.  Close to American/Canadian dimensions but slightly more prolate, and rounded instead of pointy at the ends.  I'm thinking it'd be both more aerodynamic for passing and easier to drop-kick.

Back to the future: https://time.com/5515951/football-shape-history/#text=The%20bal l's%20dimensions%20began%20to,and%2021%20to%2021%C2%BC%20in.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Back to the future: https://time.com/5515951/football-shape-history/#text=The%20bal l's%20dimensions%20began%20to,and%2021%20to%2021%C2%BC%20in.

But all the writing about such history, and even contemporary specifications, say nothing about the pointiness of the narrow ends of the ball.  How is it that the Australian Rules football can be more prolate than the American football, and yet not have pointy ends?  This shows that the prolicity does not make the ends pointy.  Yet none of the governing bodies for different types of football that use a prolate ball give specs on the radius of curvature of the ends.  That is, you could probably just slightly overinflate an Aussie Rules ball to make it slightly fatter and it would match the specified dimensions of the American football.  The rules don't specify pointy ends!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: