Season in a Nutshel...

Notifications
Clear all

Season in a Nutshell

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

Last practice of the year tonight.. bittersweet.  Last game tomorrow night.  As I am walking to my truck, one of the dads comes up to me.  I have coached his son the last two years.  He is one of those gruff rednecks.  He says" coach, I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed having Vaughn play for you the last two years.  I know the wins and losses didn't turn out like you would've liked, but you did a heckuva job with all the injuries, It's been a real pleasure watching these games.  The boys fought hard in every game. I really appreciate it."  Before you know it, another dad comes up, and another.. several congratulating me.

WE ARE 2-5...2-5.  We should win tomorrow but right now we are 2-5, and parents thanking me. Wow, I must be doing something right off the field at least. 

I haven't had the first issue with playing time or positioning either.  That is a first.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Nice job Tony.

Better than winning a Championship.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Several years ago, I had an 0-8 team.  It was like my 3rd year coaching.  I was thinking of hanging up my whistle - until the banquet.  At the banquet, everyone thanked me, told me how much fun they had, etc.  Made me come back for another season and I'm glad I did.  My teams have had a bunch of championship games since then - but I will never forget those kids and parents.  There was something magical about them. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze

I know how you feel. We are currently 1-5. Yet this is the most appreciative group of parents I've ever had. Possibly because this team last year was not only winless, but didn't score a single TD until the last game of the year. So simply having scored in half our games seems like a good accomplishment in context. We are playing the team that our win came against this Sunday. They probably never even imagined a TWO WIN season before I showed up.  😛

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Last practice of the year tonight.. bittersweet.  Last game tomorrow night.  As I am walking to my truck, one of the dads comes up to me.  I have coached his son the last two years.  He is one of those gruff rednecks.  He says" coach, I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed having Vaughn play for you the last two years.  I know the wins and losses didn't turn out like you would've liked, but you did a heckuva job with all the injuries, It's been a real pleasure watching these games.  The boys fought hard in every game. I really appreciate it."  Before you know it, another dad comes up, and another.. several congratulating me.

WE ARE 2-5...2-5.  We should win tomorrow but right now we are 2-5, and parents thanking me. Wow, I must be doing something right off the field at least. 

I haven't had the first issue with playing time or positioning either.  That is a first.

I know you know this, but kids enjoy playing for you. Kids know the score, and the score isn't always on a scoreboard (what makes not keeping score stupid).

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

You can't learn to make the parents and kids love playing for you. You can learn to win more games. Congrats.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

My team last year was like that.  I got a lot of compliments on what I thought was an under-achieving 3-5 record.  Parents didn't see it that way, I received a ton of compliments.  We only had like 19 kids, so playing time certainly wasn't an issue.  I'm sure that helped.

I don't believe I'll get that this year despite likely finishing again at 3-5. This year we ARE under-achieving, but we also have 29 kids so player placement and playing time have become a significant issue.

So nice job Coach - I'm sure you deserve it.  If parents are complimenting you, you most certainly are doing a lot of things right. Hard to see when you're in the middle of it.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

Great job Tony.

How you practice is more important than your record.  Winning is great but if your athletically superior, any moron with a whistle can have a winning record. 

Some of my mediocre teams were some of my favorites.  Kids with good attitudes and good personalities make it fun for me.  Not teams loaded with talent.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Just finished my worst season record-wise. We were 3-6. Lost 2 games in OT, but we were not the most talented team.

The season was successful from my perspective, though. I wanted to:
- have them want to come back
- learn some good football
- learn how to be good people
- teach the coaches who never coached before how to coach

Record was not in my season goals even though I want to win every game and it pains me to lose. For example, I had been 5-0 in OT up to this year and 0-2 this year. I look at OT games as coach losses.

So, walking off the field today after losing in OT, I had kids and parents who were sad, but each was thanking me and saying they are coming back.

Enjoy when you have made them better regardless of wins and losses.

ReplyQuote
Share: