Season with out hav...

Notifications

Season with out having my son on the team -  

RSS

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
November 7, 2019 6:12 am  

We had our team banquet last night. WOW - tears and gratitude were aplenty. Best news is all the players are committed to coming back. Every parent from able to less able spoke to me at one point or another thanking me for the "fire" and "love" I taught their sons. They have never had a coach that doesn't yell and get heated on the sidelines.

So why am I even sharing this? I was going to retire to the bleachers and enjoy my son playing for the next few years. Coaching a team with no sons on it was surprisingly rewarding. Plus compared to the dad coaches, I look like real coach. ( thanks to you gents).

This year I learned more about the details in teaching technique vs scheme. Teaching the line how to block and who to block and why we are to block has always been a weakness of mine. This year I was able to understand it more clearly. I think it was because I was the DC and not the header and having no player on the team - my brain power was not distracted.

Thanks again to all the contributors for our success.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
November 7, 2019 7:57 am  

I have coached one of my sons teams for the last 6 years and the one thing I learned real quick is to stop focusing on them. It only took one season before it clicked that I was not there for him but the team. Nowadays unless my son is in a drill with me, I wouldn't be able to tell you what he was doing or where he was at. The best thing any coach can do is coach your son on the field, not parent them. My son knows to call me coach from the moment we step foot on the field until the time we leave. Anything else will not get a response. But I also have to remember to treat him just like every other kid on the team we he does something wrong, makes a mistake, or does something correctly. And if that is not something you are capable of or have not yet developed, then make sure your coaches are able to step in a fill that role.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
Share: