Notifications
Clear all

Sideline quotes

DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
Topic starter  

I felt compelled to share this conversation from our game on Saturday. 

We had the game pretty much in hand and were trying to get our MPP's as much playing time as possible.  We have a couple of players standing off by themselves just chatting, they're both minimum play guys that really love being on the team but have no interest in doing what it takes to be football players.  One of the AC's walks over and I hear the following:

AC: "Hey, you want to get some plays in on defense?"
Player 1: "No, coach.  I already played defense today."

So I walk over and say, "Don't you want to get in the game and get some more plays in?"

Player 1: "No, coach" and he points to our play counter, "the lady said I already got my plays in so I don't have to play anymore".

::)

The same 2 players were in a similar situation earlier in the season.  We had run away with a game so I was letting everyone run the ball.  I went over to these 2 and asked if they wanted to run the ball:

Player 1: "No thanks coach.  I'd be happy if I can just go in and block for a play though"

Um, OK then.

Player 2 (youngest and biggest kid on the team): "Coach, I don't ever ever want to run the ball ever.  Not even ever again in practice if that's OK."

Sigh.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

LOL....kids are funny.

I have coached a couple of kids that made it to the NFL.

One of them his 8 year old season...one conversation I had went something like this....

Me: K.... buddy its the beginning of the 4th Q so time to go in and have some fun !
( 6 play minimum and we had an arrangement that he didn't have to play until the end )

K: Coach.....Im fine right here today.
( as he pats the bench )

Me: Your Dad isnt going to be happy.

K: My Dad is never happy.

Me: But you and me we made a deal here

K: Well....OK.

Trots out on the field dreading every moment.  😛

He played 6 seasons in the NFL !

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Have had that a couple of times.  One year, the kid's father did our MPR sheet during the games.  His kid would keep asking him, and when he hit his plays, he'd go hide behind him.  Our HC would yell at him - oh, no you don't, I see you, get out there.  Pretty funny but pretty pathetic at the same time.

This year our prodigal QB who can't take a snap or remember a play declined to go into the game on D last week.  "I don't play defense coach".  And based on the film, he doesn't block either.  I can't freakin get him far enough away from the ball.  And that's the f*cking kid who blew up this season because his parents are both on the board (and doing an excellent job with it, truthfully) and I'm not giving him a good "learning experience".

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

Too funny, this past Sunday I had to scream out "If you want to get in and play defense, stand next to me."  They all heard me, 8 kids stayed sitting on the bench...

ReplyQuote
MaMitchell
(@mamitchell)
Lurker

Kid "Big Timed" me at our jamboree this season after first "game" while awaiting the second:

Me: I need you to hit the hole hard and take the yards that are there instead of trying to create big plays on your own. If you're not going to run the plays as called I'm going to put in the backup.

Tailback: It's okay coach, I don't want to run the ball any more today. I've got to save it for the real games.

I guess he did. The kid has been a beast in our last couple of games.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I have a special needs player on my team that will try to hide behind other kids when he is not feeling like playing.  It happens in practices and games, so I try to get him out of his shell.  Most of the other kids are eager to get in the game, although some of them basically do nothing when they get out there, so they are big talkers.  😀

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Two of the best players I ever coached never wanted to carry the ball. One was an ot and that me super proud and the other played dt and said offenses was for p...ies. That was a qoute. Laughed my but off.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Pop warner "mity mite "Bowl game" ( game at the end of the year as we did not have playoffs in MM's) No score is kept

Kid. Hey coach were winning right?

Me um I don't know buddy they don't have the score board on

Kid. Yeah I know but we score 6 times and they have scored only once

Me.  well then I guess you can say were winning then

Kid turns to another kid "see I told you were winning.

Me, just remember were not keeping score

Kid.  Then why are we playing defense coach ?  ???

I had no answer
It was a 7 YO that made me realize no matter how much we don't keep score they know how to count and do keep score.
Maybe we shouldn't teach them to count until the games do

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze

LOL....kids are funny.

I have coached a couple of kids that made it to the NFL.

One of them his 8 year old season...one conversation I had went something like this....

Me: K.... buddy its the beginning of the 4th Q so time to go in and have some fun !
( 6 play minimum and we had an arrangement that he didn't have to play until the end )

K: Coach.....Im fine right here today.
( as he pats the bench )

Me: Your Dad isnt going to be happy.

K: My Dad is never happy.

Me: But you and me we made a deal here

K: Well....OK.

Trots out on the field dreading every moment.  😛

He played 6 seasons in the NFL !

Man, that might be the best story I've read on this forum.  Amazing how much they can change.  Credit to you for your patience and positive attitude.

ReplyQuote
woodhawg
(@woodhawg)
Copper

We've got a soph who has always played gaurd. He is smaller but fast and this year asked to be wr. We moved him. He plays JV. He has yet to catch a pass or even have a ball touch his hands. I told our qb to stop throwing to him. However the other team senses he is a decoy and is usually wide open. The last 8 times he's been throw at the QB is 0-8 with two interceptions. I told the QB, some kids don't want the ball. "Why does he want to a receiver then?" He asks, I said some kids don't want to hit either. He is unfortunate enough to fit in both catagories. Maybe someday...baby steps.

ReplyQuote
pittpete
(@pittpete)
Copper

Last year during a game---
Jake- Hey Coach

Me- Whats up Jake?

Jake- Do you think the concession stand will have any pretzels left after the game?

Me- Argghhhhhhhhh!

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

We had a really quirky kid one year.  I can't remember his name, but he was number 11.  he insisted he wanted to play special teams only.  'i'm a special teams guy'.

ok.  i love special teams, i thought it was cool.  and we practice one special team every practice, so we put him on all of them.  i really made sure he knew how his assignment, and where to line up.  like i said, he was quirky, so it was a little iffy.

anyway, he doesn't show a lot, so we have him away from the kick on KO, and in the second line on KR, as well as PR and P.

in the second half of the first game, we score and i count-ten out there.  i find #11-'Hey buddy, time to go get someone, you're my special teams guy!!'

#11: 'i already did like 4 kick offs'

me "buddy, we have to kick off after every score.  go get em!!'

#11  and i quote "i don't think so, guys are flying around out there.  i can't see them all...'

he eventually gave up on KR too-too much open space, i guess...

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Last year during a game---
Jake- Hey Coach

Me- Whats up Jake?

Jake- Do you think the concession stand will have any pretzels left after the game?

Me- Argghhhhhhhhh!

Oooo, did they sell those big soft hot ones?

I worked the steam table under the tent at the NBYFL's fundraising concession stand at yesterday's Sussex Co. firemen's review & parade events.  No hot pretzels, only small bags of various chips to go with the hamburgers, hot dogs, & cheese steaks w onions & peppers.  But we even had a can of cherry Pepsi in one of the ice chests.  I was told we had that, someone asked for it, I reached in blindly & that's what I came up with.

Can you tell I'm reading this thread when I haven't eaten today & am saving my appetite for the pot luck at the affair I'm going to in Penna.?  Lucky me, I'm not driving on the way back, so I get to drink until the end too -- but w a prostate my size, maybe shouldn't.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

Trouncing a team this weekend. 

-HC- guys, were going to get everyone some touches in the 2nd half.  Even if you never carried the ball before, we will give you chance to run it.

Most kids-Yay!!!

-HC- Jimmy, you ready to run the ball.
-Jimmy- Noooooooo, Im fine playing the line coach.
-HC- Jimmy get in there and run the ball.
-Jimmy- Do I have to?

Jimmy ran a 35 power for no gain, and came off smiling!

ReplyQuote
Share: