So This Kid Asks Fo...

Notifications
Clear all

So This Kid Asks For A Chance to Run the Ball...

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The HC says, "no," so I ask the kid why he wants to run the ball.  "So I can run over people!"  Okay, I tell the coach to do "Smash Alley."  Kid carries the ball and gets lit up.  I ask, "While we're doing this drill, anybody else want to be a runningback?"  No replies.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

The HC says, "no," so I ask the kid why he wants to run the ball.  "So I can run over people!"  Okay, I tell the coach to do "Smash Alley."  Kid carries the ball and gets lit up.  I ask, "While we're doing this drill, anybody else want to be a runningback?"  No replies.

--Dave

Ok, ok, I'll ask, What's smash alley?

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Aaron, it's kind of a variation of the "Gauntlet" but the ball-carrier has to be more physical.  "The Gauntlet" makes ball-carriers tough but "Smash Alley" makes them aggressive.  I don't teach my ball-carriers to elude.  I teach them to attack the tackler ("hunt the hunter.")  Nothing like trucking a defender that sends a message to the entire defense "Warning--Attempting to Tackle our Ball-Carriers may Result in Injury."  It's a drill that makes players reconsider whether they really want to be runningbacks.  I have a PowerPoint available.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

I will email you sir.  Thank you.  (make sure you don't say "No Problem")

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I will email you sir.  Thank you.  (make sure you don't say "No Problem")

You're welcome.  lol

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze

Aaron, it's kind of a variation of the "Gauntlet" but the ball-carrier has to be more physical.  "The Gauntlet" makes ball-carriers tough but "Smash Alley" makes them aggressive.  I don't teach my ball-carriers to elude.  I teach them to attack the tackler ("hunt the hunter.")  Nothing like trucking a defender that sends a message to the entire defense "Warning--Attempting to Tackle our Ball-Carriers may Result in Injury."  It's a drill that makes players reconsider whether they really want to be runningbacks.  I have a PowerPoint available.

--Dave

Dave,

We use the same approach using your "t-time" drill. We tell the backs the D has to have two guys to stop you! It would be unfair otherwise.

If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it. - Mike Cooley / DBT

ReplyQuote
JohnM71
(@johnm_1971)
Bronze

Love it.  I might use this at tonight's practice, as I suspect some changes are in the works.  I'll follow up later.....

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

could I get that powerpoint please

coachtim@stathamspartans.com

ReplyQuote
Share: