Sour Grapes or Chea...

Notifications
Clear all

Sour Grapes or Cheating in National UYFL Tournament

Page 4 / 4

CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

My org used to be in the same conference with the Plant City Dolphins. While I have never known their org to do this type of thing. Others in the conference they are in have done it. Their conference had two teams in the tournament and neither of them were the conference champs. I don't want to knock UYFL because I have almost no experience with it. But there are no UYFL affiliated conferences in Florida that I am aware of. It also seems more like a tournament where anyone can go, as the Dolphins did, as opposed to a championship that you have to qualify for. Perhaps the teams like Sean's and others from up north have to. But from browsing the UYFL website it seems that anyone can enter a team in the tournament. These "National Championships" are bandied about in my neck of the woods because with the exception of the Pop Warner teams in our area, everyone else's season concludes in a conference super bowl around thanksgiving. I think UYFL allowing teams that don't actually qualify for the tournament to play in it is disrespectful to teams from up north that actually have to qualify for the tournament.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
seanie12
(@seanie12)
Copper
Topic starter  

I think probably why Non-UYFL teams are invited especially those in Florida is that it fills out the brackets and I would assume looks more attractive as a destination tournament/championship.  Also for those teams that ultimately couldn't go like Coach Millers team from my conference, a National championship tournament doesn't look as attractive if you 4 - 6 teams in a bracket.

I agree with Mike G, it was a great experience, my first opportunity to coach in a "national championship" setting playing against great teams/organizations such Scottsdale, Staten Island, etc.

I find it very hard that an entire team could sign off on players playing up but it appears to have happened.  After I expressed my concerns and the UYFL assured me that Plant City was legitimate, I left it alone.  If wasn't until getting back to Chicago that a couple of my parents started researching websites and facebook pages and came across one coaches page who had 150-200 picture per game of the past 7 regular season games including their league championship and the 3 players in question were not in any of the pictures in any of those games until the UYFL championship picture Album.  The main player who was their entire offense during the UYFL run was found on his moms facebook page crying because they had lost in the Midget championship (the next level up) in their league.  I subsequently verified it with a 3rd party who had official rosters from their league that they were indeed on the rosters of the next level up.  The rationale offered by the 3rd party until he verifies it was the kids were 9 years old or close to and that Plant City had some kids who weren't able to participate.  I believed that even if they were 9 the fact that they played the entire 2014 season at Midget 9, 10, 11 up to 125 that it gave them an advantage when they are playing kids at a lower level. 

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Seanie

I agree with you. Of the UYFL rule is that they had to be on a sealed roster with that team to play in the tourney then they shouldn't have been able to play. A couple of our former players are on that team you played and those kids ultimately lost playing time in the tournament to kids who shouldn't have been playing at that level. Its really cheesy and it tells the kids on that team that they aren't good enough and they need the help of other kids. As a coach I wouldn't allow it but others will.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

It's not as bad if the kids weren't older, but it is still cheating.

There were four older lighters that could have played on my team and didn't.  They would have been great players for us and given us the speed, depth and mental toughness we needed. 

Three chose to play next level which I understand.  I actually hate the older lighter rule developmentally.  One of those three was a top two player on A team next level up and would have been dominant at my level.

One player I really coveted chose to play down on B team at our weight class with his younger brother in a policy decision made by our org.  It happens. 

Having those four kids I believe we would have won our title this year.  They all would have qualified to play on my team.    Had I added them late when their respective seasons ended it would have been cheating. 

Our best overall player was an overall lighter and was only kid I could count on in tough situations.  They make a huge difference. 

Another kid I didn't get because he played for dad I could have suited up late and would have been our starting qb. 

Point is we often have these opportunities and it's wrong to take them because that's not the team you had in reg. season.    Post season tournaments that allow it that's fine. 

ReplyQuote
Arizona_Cheesehead
(@arizona_cheesehead)
Copper

Reading this thread sounds like that team invoked a win at any cost mentality. Pathetic......

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: