Notifications
Clear all

Starting over at 6U

Page 1 / 2

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

My team from last year aged out so I decided to start back at the beginning with the 6U this season. We had trouble getting numbers this offseason, but we were able to round up 21 kids ranging from ages 5-6, with a few that will be turning 7 during the course of the season.

We just finished up week 1 of practice and I must say, it's a whole different world with kids this young. I have been working constantly to trim all the fat out my instruction and get fundamentals down to 2 teaching points or less. I followed Cisar's layout for teaching stance by using silly phrases to create mental pictures for each step of the progression. It worked very well and the stances look better than expected. 

I realized quickly when trying to teach tackling and basic drive blocking that my instruction was too complex. Kids this age will tolerate about 5 minutes of instruction before they lose focus. This was evident on the first day, so we have been modifying instruction, discussing our teaching points, and working in the smallest groups possible to keep everyone moving constantly. I'm fortunate to have some good guys helping me, one of which is the DC at a local High School and he is fantastic. Much better Coach than I am, but willing to do whatever I ask of him. He is also receptive to learning what and how I teach. I got very lucky!

By the 3rd practice on Thursday, we finally started getting into a nice rhythm until Mother Nature intervened. We got through dynamics using our Cadence and nobody is jumping off. We go on HIT, but GO is part of our Cadence. No kids moving on GO is a great success for us week 1!

We taught Angle Tackling, again in small groups, and I was able to narrow tackling down to 2 instructions:

1. Facemask on the ball

2. Wrap up

Done!

It worked great! In order to put facemask on the football, they have to be low, they have to be in close proximity, their head is in front, and their hips are underneath. Worked like a charm

We split into Backs and Line groups and began basic fundamentals of Down Blocking. We got a few minutes in and got shut down for weather. It was a bummer because things were going smoothly for the first time, but extremely encouraging to see our instruction sinking in.

Can't wait for Monday

Ryan

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Good luck! 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

I’d be curious to hear what you plan to do different this time around? For context, what offense and defense are you installing 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @rpatric

.I was able to narrow tackling down to 2 instructions:

1. Facemask on the ball

2. Wrap up

Done!

It worked great! In order to put facemask on the football, they have to be low, they have to be in close proximity, their head is in front, and their hips are underneath. Worked like a charm

That's great, but there had to be more to it than that.  Otherwise they could've just bent at the hips, not had their hips underneath.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@seth54 

I run UBSW. Since we have a rule that mandates us to be under center, I had to modify it a little bit. We will still run Power, Reverse, and Trap as designed. For Sweep, we are going WAR formation and doing a short toss to the TB.

Defensively we will be running Wide Tackle 6 with the safety at 6 yds and the corners playing tight. I will also be putting the DT'S covering B gap and the LB'S covering C since everyone will be trying to get outside

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@bob-goodman 

We taught them the proper Hit Position prior to tackling. We made corrections during Angle Tackling drill to make sure they were coming in at proper level. We did the drill at walking speed several times and had them freeze at fit so we could make proper adjustments. By the end we were going fit and freeze at a fast jog. We will continue this drill daily for the remainder of the year. 

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@bob-goodman 

You can't bend at hips prior to contact without looking at the ground. We stress eyes up in everything we do. They are reminded of this in everything we do from dynamics to taking a right knee and focusing while I speak. Their eyes are forward in every aspect of what we do. 

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

I’m sorry, what’s WAR formation?

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

WAR = Wings All Right. 

I only know what it is because there was a thread about it in the 63 Forum

https://football.dumcoach.com/archives/smf_forum/index.php?topic=9600.0

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

Seth54 and rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@seth54 

Wings All Right. In our Sweep play, blocking back bumps out and lines up next to the wingback. From there, blocking back goes to FBI, wingback goes to corner, RE reaches and seals the force player, and QB tosses and boots away. 

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We will also be installing TB Iso once we have Power running well. Since I'm not installing Wedge this season, too expensive of an investment with this age group, we will part block between RG and RT and have the bb lead to the backer while WB either goes FBI or motions away, it will be a tag for motion, and QB hands to TB then carries out Power fake

Low investment of time for a solid inside running play to the TB

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

We will also be installing TB Iso once we have Power running well. Since I'm not installing Wedge this season, too expensive of an investment with this age group, we will part block between RG and RT and have the bb lead to the backer while WB either goes FBI or motions away, it will be a tag for motion, and QB hands to TB then carries out Power fake

Low investment of time for a solid inside running play to the TB

We installed an ISO play (in fact, an entire I-formation series) as a courtesy scout for another team that we scrimmage regularly. It went in so fast and easy, I decided to keep it for ourselves. We had several opponents in a row who did not cover our tackles, so I sent the tackle to the MLB and FB to the next LB to the outside. As you said, very low investment and iso yielded a lot of yards.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@rpatric - Don't forget the spin counter I sent you!! I might have run that 10 times in a row during a game...

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Had a heck of a practice tonight! My AC was tied up at the High School for the 1st hour, so I was flying solo. My oldest son came to help out and we did dynamics, angle tackling,  close quarters tackling at full go, deer hunter, and board drills in the first hour. Finished up with splatter blocking and whose ball. Also taught them 2 claps and a Ric Flair! WOOOOOO!

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Also taught them 2 claps and a Ric Flair! WOOOOOO!

I actually didn't learn what this was until I moved to Dalton last year. Really works well with the little dudes!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: