Straight Snap or Sp...

Notifications
Clear all

Straight Snap or Spider Snap

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a non-traditional under center snapping technique that I saw on here once. The QB didn't turn his hands sideways, instead he joined his thumbs together. It seemed like a better technique if you wanted more consistent snaps without worrying about finding the laces. Does someone know what I'm talking about? I thought they used this snap in power T offenses... the one with layered handoffs.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

bignose
(@bignose)
Silver

The "Butterfly" thumbs together grip was what I learned a very long time ago when were were two handed snapping. 

In this technique we brought the ball back with both hands while turning it over end-for-end.

The disadvantage of this is for a fraction of a second the center has both hands back between his legs, and is a tad slow off of the ball, and his chin is exposed (I have the scars to prove this).

This may work well with younger kids. You can also one hand snap this by bring the ball straight back, your center needs to be able to grip the ball. ( not a great technique with a wet ball).

Actually I do not believe in crossing thumbs, this leads to jammed fingers. I prefer to have the thumbs positioned so the tip of one thumb presses into the side of the other thumb.

The snapper should turn the ball so the laces hit the dominant hand of the QB: i.e. Right handed QB, roll the ball so the laces are on the right side when snapped.

The hands form a "Butterfly" where both hands are pressed up along the inside of the snappers buttocks, thumb tips approximately at the "brown" spot.

This post was modified 1 month ago by bignose

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

We use that snap, but snapper snaps with one hand. The main reason we use it is that there's usually not enough room between a young C's legs for a football to fit sideways. 2nd reason is that the "traditional" twisting snap (developed for pass-heavy offenses) contributes to more jammed fingers on his bottom hand as a QB tries to "catch" the ball.

QB's hands:

• Thumbs joined along the entire length.
  • Other fingers spread wide into a "butterfly"
  • Pinky fingers pressed hard into C's thighs
  • Wrists pushed firmly into the C's rear

Most common causes of bad snaps:

• "Lazy hands" by the QB. You will see the fingers more or less parallel and dangling.
  • Quick exit by the QB. He's already moving before "hit" leaves his lips.

Coaching points:

• Ensure QB bends his knees and employs an athletic stance
  • 3 P's:
    • Press the hands into the C's crotch
    • Push the hands forward as you call "HIT!" (or whatever cadence you use)
    • Pull the ball into your crotch

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coach-kyle

I'm looking for a non-traditional under center snapping technique that I saw on here once. The QB didn't turn his hands sideways, instead he joined his thumbs together. 

We use this technique (eagle hands) when running the Double Wing.  Since our Center snaps the ball straight back (from a tilt) and we don't use the conventional (under Center) twist, the eagle hands are able to clamp down on the sides of the football when snapped straight back.  It's easier for the QB to "straight arm" the snap from under Center, as opposed to "gator hands" (which force the QB to twist his shoulders when the arms are extended straight out).  We extend the QB's arms in order to create more distance between him and the Center so that the pullers have more room to go through and the QB isn't in the way.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

bignose liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coachdp

I'm looking for a non-traditional under center snapping technique that I saw on here once. The QB didn't turn his hands sideways, instead he joined his thumbs together. 

It's easier for the QB to "straight arm" the snap from under Center, as opposed to "gator hands" (which force the QB to twist his shoulders when the arms are extended straight out).  We extend the QB's arms in order to create more distance between him and the Center so that the pullers have more room to go through and the QB isn't in the way.

--Dave

Hmm . . . never thought of that. I'll give it a try. I'm going to turn over the offense to our long time OC. My only parameters:

We include Beast

We include 5 wide Empty

Everything we run must have an "Under Center" option.

Straight arming the snap sounds intriguing.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@coachdp @gumby_in_co @bignose

This is great. I'm a little unclear on what the center is looking for. Suppose he's only using one hand, how does he hold the ball? Does he pass it end over end? Is he aiming for the brown spot? 

And the QB aligning thumbs seems like it might make for a bit of an awkward catch... but also it does seem like it increases the odds of a kid catching a snap that misses.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Suppose he's only using one hand, how does he hold the ball?

I'll let Ted describe it in this video, although he's demonstrating a shotgun snap.  But the UC snap is taught the same way. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Does he pass it end over end? Is he aiming for the brown spot? 

--The snap is end over end.  His target is the QB's thumbs, which if the QB is providing correct pressure, the Center will feel the location.  In a 2-handed Center snap, both thumbs are aligned with the seam of the football.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And the QB aligning thumbs seems like it might make for a bit of an awkward catch... but also it does seem like it increases the odds of a kid catching a snap that misses.

I dunno.  We had just as much success snapping the ball that way, as we did teaching the Center the twist technique.  But then, our Center and QB got 150 snaps of flawless work in each practice.  Or, they started over again.  But the advantage to the approach was the QB giving the pullers more room.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@coachdp Thanks Dave. I'm really visualizing it. Not sure if you intended to link to a video or not but the link you provided takes me back to this thread.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@coachdp @gumby_in_co @bignose

This is great. I'm a little unclear on what the center is looking for. Suppose he's only using one hand, how does he hold the ball? Does he pass it end over end? Is he aiming for the brown spot? 

We teach the "Wyatt" snap. C holds the ball by the point and snaps it straight back. So the point facing their end zone ends up facing your end zone. If "brown spot" is what I think it is, no. That's probably too far back. We teach the QB to firmly push his hands up and forward so the C has no doubt where the QB's hands are.

The thumbs aligned isn't that awkward. When the QB gets the snap, he has the entirety of both hands on the ball. I'll try to make a video.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

This is the video I (re)learned shotgun from. I've run 95% of my plays out the shotgun the last three years... never had any trouble with the snap.

When we did go under center, he used to same grip.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Share: