Super Smurf 7 on 7?...

Notifications
Clear all

Super Smurf 7 on 7? Anyone doing it?

robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Our 7 on 7 season is getting under way in the next couple of weeks and we have been asked to look at adding in "Super Smurfs". This would include 2nd and 3rd  graders.

So I'm curious about a couple of things.

One: How many of you are doing or looking at doing 7 on 7 (passing only) with 7,8,9 YOs?

Second: If you are doing it currently, how do the younger kids like it? Our older boys love it but I'm also taking into consideration that scoring and completion percentages will be significantly lower with the little guys.

Lastly: If you could only focus on one aspect, offense or defense during your 7 on 7 time, which would it be and why?

The last question stems from a conversation with another Coach. His philosophy is that his teams wins with D (during the regular season) and his primary focus during 7 on 7 is teaching pass D and technique. While others (I myself am guilty) have used 7 on 7 to identify and work with my QBs and Center primarily (once again to get a jump on regular season) with a secondary focus on Receivers.

The issue with 7 on 7 for us is very limited practice time (once a week for 3 weeks) and a very short season (5 weeks). These things, coupled with a very limited coaching staff means that you don't have a lot of time to cover all aspects thoroughly.

If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it. - Mike Cooley / DBT

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

R

I'd say both Philosophies are correct. Quality coverage is pretty non existent at this level because its really not a top priority.

Flip over to the Offense....a quality passing game really does not top many lists either.

I would think the kids would have a blast...its what they do at recess anyway.  😉

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

I would think the kids would have a blast...its what they do at recess anyway.  😉

Yeah, I always waited for the day my son got detention for kicking out the force player when running power. Never did happen. Plenty of stories of what a good Reciever he is. Which I guess all his football coaches can't see, because he has always been used as a blocker.  Lol

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze

Our 7 on 7 season is getting under way in the next couple of weeks and we have been asked to look at adding in "Super Smurfs". This would include 2nd and 3rd  graders.

So I'm curious about a couple of things.

One: How many of you are doing or looking at doing 7 on 7 (passing only) with 7,8,9 YOs?

Second: If you are doing it currently, how do the younger kids like it? Our older boys love it but I'm also taking into consideration that scoring and completion percentages will be significantly lower with the little guys.

Lastly: If you could only focus on one aspect, offense or defense during your 7 on 7 time, which would it be and why?

The last question stems from a conversation with another Coach. His philosophy is that his teams wins with D (during the regular season) and his primary focus during 7 on 7 is teaching pass D and technique. While others (I myself am guilty) have used 7 on 7 to identify and work with my QBs and Center primarily (once again to get a jump on regular season) with a secondary focus on Receivers.

The issue with 7 on 7 for us is very limited practice time (once a week for 3 weeks) and a very short season (5 weeks). These things, coupled with a very limited coaching staff means that you don't have a lot of time to cover all aspects thoroughly.

I'm doing 7v7 for for the first time this yr and have a couple questions for you. Let me start by telling you this is a jr peewee team 9-11 yrs old.
1) should I be putting in my pass plays for this upcoming season?
2) same question on the defensive side of the ball
3) where should I focus my energy O or D

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I'm doing 7v7 for for the first time this yr and have a couple questions for you. Let me start by telling you this is a jr peewee team 9-11 yrs old.
1) should I be putting in my pass plays for this upcoming season?
2) same question on the defensive side of the ball
3) where should I focus my energy O or D

We designate our receivers for 7 on 7 the same way we do for regular season - F, H, X, Y, Z
Our receiver tree is our receiver tree. Meaning a ZERO Route for US is ALWAYS the same, regardless of age or season.
We start with the simplest routes getting the lowest numbers. Still adhering to EVEN numbers inside, ODD outside.
Long story short, with 7 on 7 we are teaching the PASSING TREE.

Secondly we are working our CENTER and QB relationship.

Lastly we work on COVERAGE. This is much tougher at the 7-8 YO level for me VS teaching proper passing routes to the same group. No idea why?
Just what I can teach vs what I can not teach I guess. Its a constant evolution for both myself and the kids.

If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it. - Mike Cooley / DBT

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze

We designate our receivers for 7 on 7 the same way we do for regular season - F, H, X, Y, Z
Our receiver tree is our receiver tree. Meaning a ZERO Route for US is ALWAYS the same, regardless of age or season.
We start with the simplest routes getting the lowest numbers. Still adhering to EVEN numbers inside, ODD outside.
Long story short, with 7 on 7 we are teaching the PASSING TREE.

Secondly we are working our CENTER and QB relationship.

Lastly we work on COVERAGE. This is much tougher at the 7-8 YO level for me VS teaching proper passing routes to the same group. No idea why?
Just what I can teach vs what I can not teach I guess. Its a constant evolution for both myself and the kids.

Ok thanks for the tips. Why don't you just play man on or off man coverage vs zone? Are you trying to put in your base defensive coverage now so it's easier come season time

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
robwhitlow
(@robwhitlow)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Ok thanks for the tips. Why don't you just play man on or off man coverage vs zone? Are you trying to put in your base defensive coverage now so it's easier come season time

Sorry I should have clarified... We play MAN for the LITTLE guys, however teaching proper cover TECHNIQUE is the issue for me. Little guys trying to STAY IN RECEIVERS HIP POCKET = LOTS OF INTERFERENCE.

ReplyQuote
Share: