Suspended for a blo...

Notifications
Clear all

Suspended for a blowout

Page 2 / 2

Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Depends on the sport.  I know little about basketball.  I am only the AC for basketball because I bring my kids from football/baseball/soccer to the team.  Otherwise, they probably wouldn't want me to have much to do with basketball.  When we are up in a blowout (which is every game in league play), we stop full court press.  That is the only change we make.

Somebody mentioned "Do you play 100% against girls"... not sure what it is like to play boys vs girls in basketball, but in soccer the girls are rougher than the boys.  So, yes we do play 100% against girls (in soccer). 

In football, the first time we were up by 3+ tds I told my defense to dial it down a notch and on the very next play 3 of them got leveled by blockers.  I will NEVER do that again.  Instead, I just don't blitz.  On offense however, we put backup RBs in (keep starters in as blockers so backup RB doesn't get hurt) and we run up the middle over and over and slow play the clock.  We also no longer onside kick.  I am lucky to have great kickers.  I have two that kick it out of the end zone, so deep kicking doesn't mean risking a big play or injury.  Yes, I had two kickers at 8U that kicked it out of the end zone.  That is the benefit of having soccer players on our team.  Also, we play on 80 yd fields, not 100.  So that helps.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Dan

I get your point, & understand what you are saying. Regardless sometimes you can't stop your opponent from being stupid. I have completely shut my team down only to score buckets of points, because the opposition insisted on passing or punting even though every attempt result in 6 for us.

One game we were winning 68-0, with under 2 minutes to go. Our opponent went back to punt, we had blocked two for TD's & returned another. I actually called a T/O, and put my starters in. I told them no one crosses the LOS, & told the returner fair catch only. Sure enough the snap goes over the punters head. All my guys are on the LOS & I can just feel them foaming to get after the ball. Finally the punter picks the ball up & now looks to run. Our outside backer steps out & yells to the punter "Kick the Ball". He stops & thinks for second finally kicking it. Our returner ran up & made the Fair Catch. It seemed the play took forever, we ran Coaches Favorite play & the game was over.

Joe

Each situation is different, you take them as they come and you use your best judgment in each instance.  If you use poor judgment like the guy in story did you end up on sportcenter and suspended. 

Or in a number of youth games I have been at you cause a huge brawl.  Why there are slaughter rules.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

It seemed the play took forever, we ran Coaches Favorite play & the game was over.

You ran "DW Super Power"?  😛

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Dan

I get your point, & understand what you are saying. Regardless sometimes you can't stop your opponent from being stupid. I have completely shut my team down only to score buckets of points, because the opposition insisted on passing or punting even though every attempt result in 6 for us.

One game we were winning 68-0, with under 2 minutes to go. Our opponent went back to punt, we had blocked two for TD's & returned another. I actually called a T/O, and put my starters in. I told them no one crosses the LOS, & told the returner fair catch only. Sure enough the snap goes over the punters head. All my guys are on the LOS & I can just feel them foaming to get after the ball. Finally the punter picks the ball up & now looks to run. Our outside backer steps out & yells to the punter "Kick the Ball". He stops & thinks for second finally kicking it. Our returner ran up & made the Fair Catch. It seemed the play took forever, we ran Coaches Favorite play & the game was over.

Joe

The ONLY thing I like about the Pop Warner mercy rule is that is has stopped us from getting in these absurd situations. We have been in a bunch of games where an 80-0 score could of been attained due to us just having much better athletes and the opposing staff is utterly clueless. I don't want to embaress anybody, especially kids, but sometimes your opponents make it impossible.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

I need to be careful here because I never run up the score, even if I hate the other town or coach because it's the kids that hurt the most.

Where I grew up and through my years of playing football, hockey and lacrosse from 1st grade through college and after, blowouts worry me. 

High School year we were up by at least 30 with under a minute to go, our QB was going for a school TD passing record, (we still had 2 games left) huge DE layed him out for a sack, torn knee, missed the last 2 games and never got the record.  ???  Great kid, still one of my best friends.

Adult hockey league, I was maybe 23-24, we were getting smoked like 7-0 against a team that should have been a few levels above us, their ringer goes around everyone, I swear he might have been a pro, does a crazy shot, scores and dives belly first on the ice, our defenseman didn't take to it well and shoved him into the boards, I ended up one on one with him and he wanted no part of fighting, sad to say, I lumped him up pretty good, swollen eye and busted lip for him, broken pinky knuckle for me.

Lacrosse in college, thankfully I was on the bench, a goon cross-checked one of my teammates from behind who stick checked the ball away from him just as he was trying to score on us, they were up 13-2 maybe with about 5 minutes left. Well Bobby turned around and two-handed swung at the kids head, kid went down like a sack of potatos and the benches emptied.

So for me, I worry about blowouts and if I am the one given it then I pull back and warn my players to be extra careful and no showboating.  If we are getting killed, I am very worried because of my makeup and I have some kids who have that same chip.  So, I have to be on it for sure with blowouts!!!

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

I have seen only 2 hs games get to 100 pts both boys and I do know the one time we did it in high school or coach left is starters in so we could accomplish it. We were up by almost 50 and were running out 12 court trap

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: