Notifications

Taking a Knee  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
September 30, 2019 5:04 am  

I wanted to get some opinions on taking a knee for injured players during the game.

We are 7th Grade-12U.

I have never had my team take a knee when a player on my team or the opposing team is down on the field with an injury or any other reason.

We have the team come to the sideline and get water and/or take this chance to to allow coaches to talk to the team.  We also use this time to substitute.

I am not sure when this tradition of taking a knee started-do any of you know?

Our High School does not do this and certainly no college teams do this.

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 30, 2019 5:11 am  

I believe the rule is that players cannot come inside the numbers during an injury time out and only 1 coach is allowed out. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 30, 2019 5:23 am  

This is a popular topic lately

Google says taking a knee is a tradition for injury time outs in soccer.

Theres no rule saying you have to take a knee. I beleive Shad is correct, go to your sideline if its bad enough for medics. Other wise set your huddle a reasonable distance away.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 30, 2019 5:30 am  

In our league it is like Dusty has said as well

With ours no coaches can be present, the players take a knee on the field and the water person takes them out water.

I find its a respect issue. Its like Nascar, when there is a red flag you don't work on your car.

Taking a knee is just a sign of respect as well for injuries. Don't know where it came from and I really never thought of it. It does just seem like the right thing to do.

Have you ever been through a moment of silence for anything? When a player is down I tend to treat it like that, with respect.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 30, 2019 5:48 am  

I am not sure when this tradition of taking a knee started-do any of you know?

No.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 30, 2019 7:18 am  

I bring mine to the numbers and water them and coach them...for some reason if we are between the numbers we are only allowed to water them...they take a knee...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
September 30, 2019 8:36 am  

The tradition started in soccer but not sure when. The HS rule is players stay inside the numbers. Coach can come out but must stay outside the numbers. We kneeled when i wasnt the HC. Now we dont.

Come to the nunbers away from the injured player to allow his assistance room to work. Drink water. Shut up and listen.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 30, 2019 9:22 am  

The tradition started in soccer but not sure when.

—Ohhhhh, well that explains it.

The HS rule is players stay inside the numbers. Coach can come Come to the nunbers away from the injured player to allow his assistance room to work. Drink water. Shut up and listen.

—This ^

—Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
September 30, 2019 10:10 am  

On Saturday, the opposing team had Seven injury time outs.

None were serious.

One took about 10 minutes as a Coach (Dad) stretched his son while the player laid in the middle of the field.

We had zero injury timeouts.

It was extremely Hot and we play on a Turf Field so it seemed even more hot.

It just seems to me that taking a knee leads to more injury time outs in Youth Football.

And Drama.

I will also say that I have been Blessed in my Coaching Career to have never had a Serious Injury in a game I coached-a broken arm is the worst.

So maybe my opinion is swayed by that fact.

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
September 30, 2019 10:57 am  

I was out a game scouting this past Friday night.

A kid gets hurt, and his team mates all cluster round the hash mark and give the trainers room to work. The coach starts to out to the players, and the ref waves him back.
I figured that the ref was being an overly officious jerk, as the coach and him had been sniping at each other all game.

The ref then says: "Coach, they're young, and you're old. Have them come over to you!"
The coach was a thirty something.

I'm a hell of a lot older than that, and it gave me a chuckle.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 30, 2019 12:04 pm  

I and guys I've coached with have been told "No coaching during injury timeouts!" by refs. At the time, I doubted it was a rule, but whatever. I never tell my players to take a knee, but someone inevitably does it and they inevitably take one. I've come to look at it as a "poor form" to take advantage of an injury by coaching through it. It wouldn't bother me if the opponent did it, though. It doesn't mean enough to me either way, so why not avoid hurting the other coach's butt if I can help it?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 30, 2019 12:25 pm  

It doesn't mean enough to me either way, so why not avoid hurting the other coach's butt if I can help it?

Because that’s something you have no control over, anyway.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
September 30, 2019 1:32 pm  

We do some Coaching so I need to change that fact. I will say I have never had any Ref say anything about the Coaching. 

We just about always use that time to look at our Minimum Play sheets and to substitute.  Its a good time to put in a MPP and give  him specific coaching that you can not always do during the regular flow of game.

I wonder if there are any rules or cases where this is not allowed.

Mostly I've gotten softer in my Old Age, but not on toughness. 

I watch a lot of Youth Games on Saturdays, including two of my own, and I get so tired of kids acting hurt when they are not.

Half the time the injury follows something negative like a fumble or a missed tackle and this gets to me even more.

I just think everyone taking a knee when a kid is not really hurt is a part of why there are so many injury timeouts and so many kids acting hurt when they are not.

And when there is a Serious Injury, where the EMT comes onto the field or even an ambulance is called, the first thing the Refs do is clear the entire field.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
September 30, 2019 7:55 pm  

In every league I've coached in the refs would not let you have a free timeout just because a player is down and injured. Someone can bring them water, but they would make sure you are not doing any instructing, and they players wouldn't be allowed to come to the sideline either.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 30, 2019 8:09 pm  

I watch a lot of Youth Games on Saturdays, including two of my own, and I get so tired of kids acting hurt when they are not.

Which is why I told my players, "If you get hurt, then walk off the field.  When you feel okay, you can go back in.  But if you're lying down on the field and I have to walk out there because you're too hurt to walk off, then you can count on not being able to go back in."  This eliminated any faking or melodrama.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: