Notifications
Clear all

Taking a Knee

Page 2 / 2

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Because that’s something you have no control over, anyway.

—Dave

Sure, but if it means something to me, then I coach away. Since I don't care, might as well pretend that I'm nice.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Which is why I told my players, "If you get hurt, then walk off the field.  When you feel okay, you can go back in.  But if you're lying down on the field and I have to walk out there because you're too hurt to walk off, then you can count on not being able to go back in."  This eliminated any faking or melodrama.

--Dave

That's been one bright spot for us. Our guys take pride in dragging their own carcass off the field. We still have a couple of kids who act like they've had their legs amputated on the sideline, but at least they come to the sideline on their own.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

As a youth coach, I was always told not to coach during an injury TO. In the last 2 years at the HS level, no official has ever mentioned anything other than being at the numbers.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold

Which is why I told my players, "If you get hurt, then walk off the field.  When you feel okay, you can go back in.  But if you're lying down on the field and I have to walk out there because you're too hurt to walk off, then you can count on not being able to go back in."  This eliminated any faking or melodrama.

--Dave

Hate to hijack this.. but last week was our high school's homecoming week.  My youngest is a senior cheerleader and she asked me to coach her powder puff football team.  Flag football but rough.  My daughter goes down screaming.  They wave me on the field.  She is screaming bloody murder then all of a sudden, looks around and says I'm OK, gets up and walks off the field.  I was super pissed.  I figured it was just her being a drama queen.  30 mins later, I'm in the trainer's room.  She tells me she thinks she at least strained a ligament.  MRI Tuesday, and full ACL tear.  I asked her why she got up and walked off.  She said she didn't want the kids to think she was being melodramatic...

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

--Dave

I did a similar thing. Had a couple of kids who liked the attention at first. I wasn’t going to give it to them. Maybe I got the idea from you. 🙂

For kneeling, we had players on the field back away from the injured player and kneel, so the medical folks could see where to go. If it was going to be a little while or it was hot, I would ask ref to allow us to send water out. They enforced the “no coaching rule”. If it was an extended situation, then they would allow us to bring them to the sideline.

I don’t understand having kids on the sideline taking a knee. While it could be a respect thing, it makes no sense. The coaches, water boy, chain gang and play counters aren’t taking a knee, so why bother?

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I don’t understand having kids on the sideline taking a knee. While it could be a respect thing, it makes no sense. The coaches, water boy, chain gang and play counters aren’t taking a knee, so why bother?

It may be because of the fallen "brother" mentality The kids are seen as the "brothers" Just like military views other military as brothers.

I was not in the military but my father Marine, 2 brothers Army and Airforce has led me to that kind of thinkng.
I realize the kids are not in the military but the brotherhood remains.

Just my thoughts

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

Let me offer an other take on this.

My kids take a knee and it is something we review at the beginning of the season and we use it during injuries in practice to get used to the why we do it.

We tell our kids if any kid is on the grass and not getting up (from either team).  All the players next to him are to take two steps back and take a knee.  All players that see their team mates take a knee follow.  As they do they state that a "PLAYER IS DOWN!".

This is because officials and coaches are often in the middle of managing the game and it is very common for us as grown ups to miss that a kid is down while the scrums clear.  This allows us to SEE AND HEAR that a player is down so we can respond to it. 

1) If it is our player we send out two coaches to the player. 
2) The water boy goes out and provides water to the players (if the injury is serious).
3) If it is an opposing player and he is near us we follow rule 1 to help that player. 

We don't coach unless the officials tell our players to go to the sidelines.  Then the remaining coaches make adjustments as needed.

This speeds up our response time to get to an injured player.  Often times having a player simply yelling someone is injured is hard to discern with all the surrounding noise and movement.  Seeing players on a knee and hearing player down helps to identify it quickly.  Officials and Coaches are only human and we are all trying to get things accomplished in between plays.  This is a fail safe for our team to protect our players.

We don't do it for respect...we do it because it is part of our process in responding to injuries.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: