Notifications
Clear all

"the drive" - drill for any age

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Friend of mine was having issues with a lot of things offensively with 7-9 age group. One of things was lining up correctly and snap count.  So I came up with a little drill for them to do and it apparently helped a lot. 

Ball is spotted at their 40yd line.  Team huddles, formation and snap count are called.  They have 5 secs to break, get in formation and be in good stances. QB call cadence.  If everything looks good and every one is where they need to be, they move up 5 yards.  If not the ball moves back 5. 

Once you get into the end zone, you start back at the 40 and add plays.  

This is great way I feel to get kids who are brand new to football to get a feel of "offensive drive" and the circumstances within. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Might do this in preparation game today

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We have something similar:

We line up our o-line at the 5-yard line and I call out cadence ("first sound" or "full cadence."  Then I call out who's pulling, "Roger" or "Larry"). If we go on the correct cadence and pull the correct side, we gain 5 yards to the 10-yard line.  We matriculate the ball for the distance of the field.  If we screw up once, we start all over again back at the 5-yard line.  

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

This week, I'm going to run a version of this to clean up our procedures. We had a very nice pass for a 1st down called back because 3 sniffer backs were moving before the ball was snapped. I think the problem was 3 fold:

1) Center had a brain fart

2) Sniffer backs are in a hurry

3) QB calls the cadence like he has stage fright

We had a few false starts due to slow snaps by our replacement center as well. We need to clean this up.

Procedure Drill:

Call formation. Line up quickly and stop moving.
No movement WHATSOEVER after state call (We call a random state that means "Next word out of my mouth is 'HIT!')
First step and freeze

+4 yards:
 - Good snap
 - Correct alignment
 - First step/identify is all correct
 - No movement
No gain:
 - Wrong 1st step (by anyone)
 - Wrong identify (by anyone)
 - Still moving after state call (swipe grass, adjust, etc.)
 - Incorrect alignment
-3 yards:
 - Bad snap
 - Penalty

4 plays to go 10 yards and 1st down. Failure=push ups, up/downs, etc.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Share: