Notifications
Clear all

The Pain of Pride

Page 1 / 2

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
Topic starter  

So we were going over basic hawk tackling drills. My largest (360 6'2") meanest - tough home life to say the least - would not go down as part of the success drill. So i have my tackler step out and I will do it. So the first time big boy gets wide and trys to drag me - ( we are going from knees) . So I get pissed (prideful) and do it again and give all I have. I drop and roll this kid - the team is hootin and hollering. I get up to finish the drill and practice. I get home and my knee is killing because I hit a sprinkler when I exploded. AHHH the cost of pride to teach a 15 year old is a little pain.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

So I get pissed (prideful) and do it again and give all I have. I drop and roll this kid

If he had gotten hurt (fallen wrong, or any sort of freak happenstance), more than your knee would be hurting.  Why set yourself up for a lawsuit?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Why set yourself up for a lawsuit?

Is that really you, Dave?

Why the sudden change?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
Topic starter  

If he had gotten hurt (fallen wrong, or any sort of freak happenstance), more than your knee would be hurting.  Why set yourself up for a lawsuit?

--Dave

Um that is the drill. There was no danger except to my pride and old body. Do you not teach hawk tackling live? . i dont usually take on the man child. Funny enough the big boy was amazed. He has me by 100lbs.  I always get in with my boys and work the drills. Most the time a player has a hard time seeing the small steps. Plus the team loves the extra intensity. My Shoulders are bruised up from a week of working with the linemen. Yesterday I took 600 lbs of double team. Maybe it's just me but I love walking the walk with them. Too often they think we are asking them to do stuff we cant wont do. Am I the only one that teaches that way? I guess I could be wrong

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I teach that same thing without tackling any of my players. That just seems like a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Is that really you, Dave?

Why the sudden change?

No sudden change.  I've never taken on my players in drills.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Um that is the drill.

--The drill is player vs. coach?

There was no danger except to my pride and old body.

--I don't doubt there was any danger, at all.  What I'm talking about is the freak accident.  What if the player's knee had hit the sprinkler?  Then the story is, "I was lining up in a drill against my coach..."  You don't want any part of that.

i dont usually take on the man child. Funny enough the big boy was amazed. He has me by 100lbs.

--It doesn't matter whether you "usually" do this, or not.  It doesn't matter that he was "amazed."  It doesn't matter that he has you by 100 lbs.  Lawyers and judges don't care.

I always get in with my boys and work the drills.

--Depending on how you "work" them, you might want to re-think that.

Plus the team loves the extra intensity.

--Doesn't matter if the team loves it.  You're putting yourself at risk in a lawsuit.

Am I the only one that teaches that way?

--I doubt it.  But lawyers can twist things all sorts of ways.  Even if charges are dropped, it shows up on a background check:  "Oh, you're the coach that assaulted that little kid."  You're assuming people are smarter than that.  They aren't.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I guess I could be wrong

Hey, I'm just trying to keep you out of trouble.  Besides, look what you've gotten out of it: bruised shoulders and a bad knee.  Give it up, Coach.  You're playing days are over. πŸ™‚

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
Topic starter  

I will heal. I do however see what DP is saying. I have always looked at it as going the extra mile not assault. While my players have never been injured I have taken a good number of grills to body. Can I sue them for assault?  πŸ˜›

This is a good time to bring up coaches insurance. I recommend it. Get a policy outside of your conference. I paid $450 for extra insurance for the players and myself.

DP - You are a wise man when it comes to football. Keep the opinions coming.

What i thought i was going to get from this thread was a bunch of stories of us young bucks teaching the kidos and how it went wrong.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I take on my players in the weight room but never on the field. The kids love to challenge me.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

No sudden change.  I've never taken on my players in drills.

--Dave

And that's not what I meant at all.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

I will heal. I do however see what DP is saying. I have always looked at it as going the extra mile not assault. While my players have never been injured I have taken a good number of grills to body. Can I sue them for assault?  πŸ˜›

This is a good time to bring up coaches insurance. I recommend it. Get a policy outside of your conference. I paid $450 for extra insurance for the players and myself.

DP - You are a wise man when it comes to football. Keep the opinions coming.

What i thought i was going to get from this thread was a bunch of stories of us young bucks teaching the kidos and how it went wrong.

β€œIt is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I do however see what DP is saying. I have always looked at it as going the extra mile not assault.

It's not assault.  Until someone gets hurt.  And then someone talks or texts about it.  (You might be surprised how many people never think their texts will become public.)  Then an online "news agency" picks it up and says, "Coach Injures His Own Players." (plural intended)  Then they post a picture of a really large football coach (that's not you), and they post a picture of a 4-year-old wearing oversized shoulder pads and 150 comments are posted in less than 30 minutes.  Everyone jumps to their own conclusion and then the lawyers hear about it when it goes viral.  Before you know it, you've got more problems than Charles Chavarria.  And even if you don't get charged, you'll face the Court of Popular Opinion.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I've only seen one serious injury in 14 seasons. One of my offensive linemen was pushed backward on his butt during a scrimmage. He put his hand down to break is fall and suffered a green stick fracture in both bones in his forearm. It's apparently the most common way to break a bone in football. Could have easily happened to your 6'2, 360lber. In most scenarios, it would have been "one of those things". If it happens while a (pissed off) coach is tackling him . . .

So, tremendous downside and I'm failing to see the upside in a coach getting involved in a tackle drill against a middle schooler.

JP, I'm sure you're a good guy and a good coach, but IMO, you whiffed in the judgement department here. This isn't too far removed from the coach who shows up to practice in his old helmet and pads.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Once you touch a player it's not assault it's battery. Either way not a good idea. On occasion I have demonstrated on a player, but with great caution. First I ask them, & yes I have a player say no & another one jump in. When I do, it's with great care. Especially in the Youth game you can be sure a parent is watching.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: