Notifications
Clear all

The WHY of Coaching

JC
 JC
(@j_clint)
Copper
Topic starter  

Great thought from Derwin Gray on the WHY of coaching.  This is an excerpt from his speech at the Texas High School Coaches Association Leadership Conference earlier this year.  The excerpt is less than 2 minutes and very convicting.

https://twitter.com/thecoachtube/status/936368258789396483

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Pastor Derwin spoke at our church.  He is representative of how ALL of us should coach.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

The WHY is so important! For when you know your WHY, the HOW becomes clear and gets easier! Just an additional thought!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The WHY is so important! For when you know your WHY, the HOW becomes clear and gets easier! Just an additional thought!

Coach, I'm going to use your above post to start another topic. Thank you.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I've always said that my "Trophy" is seeing their "I CAN DO THIS!" moment.  A Plastic Bobble can never replace that!

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I've always said that my "Trophy" is seeing their "I CAN DO THIS!" moment.

Scott, can you give me an example?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

When you have kid who says he cannot do it at beginning of season and hi practice habits suggest as much. By end of season he is a kid that any success you had was not possible.
Or the kid who was having participation issues until he gets his first offer...

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

A few years back I took over a 5th grade team.  Decent squad with talent.  As expected there were some One Taskers in the mix.  One, in particular, was overweight, slow, quiet, and reserved.  He came to every practice and put forth an effort but, would gladly take a step back in line and allow the others to go ahead of him.  In other words he wasnt going to volunteer for anything more than he had to do.  I'm sure he didn't know we were watching but, as long as he kept working, we didnt make a big deal about it.  We just kept pushing and encouraging him to keep working and learning.  All we emphasized to him was Finish Strong.  He did improve little by little over time.  By the end of his 7th grade season he was a serviceable player gaining more and more playing time.

I remember the  "I got this moment" well.  We had just lost our Right Offensive Tackle to an in game injury.  Assistant calls me aside and say Put "X" out there.  I kind of chuckled and said. are you sure?  Scott, "X" came to me and said let me go Coach!  So I did and he played well.  Even earned a rotating spot on the OL.

Funny thing was, after the game we asked him why he wanted to do it.  His response was "That kid (defender) called me CHUBBY.  I just wanted a chance to get even!"  The Turtle Shell was off.  No miracle.  No ESPN highlight.  But a break through moment for Him.  It doesn't have to be a monumental athletic achievement. It's this kind of quiet break through, that means the most to me.  Developing Confidence is what we are supposed to do.  Forget Football.  Seeing them shatter the shell and push their chest out in confidence for the first time is amazing! 

The difference is I may never win that Plastic Bobble (Always the Bridesmaid).  Yet I have the opportunity to see "That Moment" from 15-20 kids at practice or in games each season and I like that. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

A few years back I took over a 5th grade team.  Decent squad with talent.  As expected there were some One Taskers in the mix.  One, in particular, was overweight, slow, quiet, and reserved.  He came to every practice and put forth an effort but, would gladly take a step back in line and allow the others to go ahead of him.  In other words he wasnt going to volunteer for anything more than he had to do.  I'm sure he didn't know we were watching but, as long as he kept working, we didnt make a big deal about it.  We just kept pushing and encouraging him to keep working and learning.  All we emphasized to him was Finish Strong.  He did improve little by little over time.  By the end of his 7th grade season he was a serviceable player gaining more and more playing time.

I remember the  "I got this moment" well.  We had just lost our Right Offensive Tackle to an in game injury.  Assistant calls me aside and say Put "X" out there.  I kind of chuckled and said. are you sure?  Scott, "X" came to me and said let me go Coach!  So I did and he played well.  Even earned a rotating spot on the OL.

Funny thing was, after the game we asked him why he wanted to do it.  His response was "That kid (defender) called me CHUBBY.  I just wanted a chance to get even!"  The Turtle Shell was off.  No miracle.  No ESPN highlight.  But a break through moment for Him.  It doesn't have to be a monumental athletic achievement. It's this kind of quiet break through, that means the most to me.  Developing Confidence is what we are supposed to do.  Forget Football.  Seeing them shatter the shell and push their chest out in confidence for the first time is amazing! 

The difference is I may never win that Plastic Bobble (Always the Bridesmaid).  Yet I have the opportunity to see "That Moment" from 15-20 kids at practice or in games each season and I like that. 

This is why coaching is still fun to me. It's also part of why I like being the DC/O-line coach, also. Championships come and go or, they may never come.  But, 'That Moment' seems to last those kids a lifetime.  I don't leave out the classroom, either.  When a kid comes running up to me with his report card and smile beaming on his face, it's a great feeling as a coach. 

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Share: