Notifications
Clear all

Then there's this guy . . .  

Page 3 / 4

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Stephen A. Smith is awesome.

Smith said that the student athlete had never been in any kind of trouble and didn't have a checkered past.  Like a lot of subjects that Smith talks about, he brings something into the conversation that has nothing to do with anything.  Jeffcoat didn't make any sort of remark about the player.  He told the player why Texas Wesleyan doesn't recruit Colorado.  Jeffcoat didn't accuse the player of being a drug user.  He told the player why it doesn't pay off for Texas Wesleyan to recruit that state.  "In the past, players have had trouble passing our drug test. We have made a decision to not take a chance on student-athletes from your state." And if they aren't going to pass the drug test, why take the time and spend the money to recruit them? 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Personally, I think it's dumb to overlook ANY kid who's already interested in playing for you.  And I think it's dumber still to blame "liberal politicians" for a law when it's the voters who put it in place.  And if my son or player had reached out to a collegiate coach, I'd be miffed about the reply because of its bluntness.  That being said, a small school like Texas Wesleyan probably doesn't have the time, money or recruiting manpower to canvas a state that legalizes a drug which would make his own recruits ineligible for play.

--Dave 

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

"Discriminatory?"  My guess was when he referred to the Colorado politicians as "liberals."  Other than that, I don't see anything discriminatory in the text.  If it's not financially sound to recruit an area, state or region, then you don't.  And if it's not worth putting the time, energy and money into recruiting an area that likely won't pay off for you, then you shouldn't.  If Texas Wesleyan doesn't recruit Colorado, there's nothing wrong with that.  There's nothing wrong with telling a student-athlete why you don't come to his state.  Texas Wesleyan (like a lot of schools in all sports) don't recruit all 50 states, for a variety of reasons.  If Colorado was an athletically productive and fiscally productive state for Texas Wesleyan to recruit, then they would do so.  Let's say you're an Ivy League school and test scores from certain states are traditionally low.  It doesn't make sense to spend a great deal of time looking for a needle in a haystack when you have an orchard full of oranges within states that can meet your requirements.

--Dave

I disagree, Dave. If Texas Wesleyan told a kid from Raleigh-Durham that they don't recruit from that are because kids from that area get in trouble once they get to college, would that be okay?  You of all people know that you shouldn't paint with a broad brush based on where a kid comes from.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I disagree, Dave. If Texas Wesleyan told a kid from Raleigh-Durham that they don't recruit from that are because kids from that area get in trouble once they get to college, would that be okay?  You of all people know that you shouldn't paint with a broad brush based on where a kid comes from.

It's not about "painting with a broad brush."  It's about whether pursuing someone is worth your time (i.e., money).  Evidently, Tex Wes has had issues with kids being able to pass drug tests.  The coach didn't say this kid was a prob, or that all kids from that state are a problem; but that it wasn't feasible for them to recruit that area because if they fail the drug test, they can't play.  If they can't play, it's a waste of time & money.  Tex Wes sounds like either Colorado, or states that have legalized weed have been a problem for them.  Sounds like the voters didn't think about what ramifications that legalizing weed could have for those who have to pass an out of state drug test.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

It's not about "painting with a broad brush."  It's about whether pursuing someone is worth your time (i.e., money).  Evidently, Tex Wes has had issues with kids being able to pass drug tests.  The coach didn't say this kid was a prob, or that all kids from that state are a problem; but that it wasn't feasible for them to recruit that area because if they fail the drug test, they can't play.  If they can't play, it's a waste of time & money.  Tex Wes sounds like either Colorado, or states that have legalized weed have been a problem for them.  Sounds like the voters didn't think about what ramifications that legalizing weed could have for those who have to pass an out of state drug test.

--Dave

You'd think that any State with legal weed makes it a bit easier for the underage kids to get their weed. But this isnt that. Its the culture war run a muck.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/03/02/fired-wesleyan-baseball-coach-right-drug-problem-entirely-base

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

--Dave

I'll accept that, if you accept a coach saying he won't recruit inner city kids because they've had a problem with them with behavior problems.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Oh, and this:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/02/texas-baseball-coach-marijuana-statistics/

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

--Dave

To further Gumby's point, and take it a couple of steps further how about this email:

"We don't recruit black players from urban areas because they have had trouble fitting into our culture and passing their classes here at White Suburban University.  It just doesn't make sense for us to spend time and money looking at players like you, they just don't work out here.  You can blame your liberal politicians for the welfare state they've created.  Good luck finding a place to play and with your career."

Based on your reactions on here when someone makes a veiled reference to race by citing "ghetto", "inner-city" or "urban", I'm pretty sure the above, if received by one of your Durham Eagles, would cause your head to explode.

Now, does someone have the "right" to do the above?  Actually, not if the school is a non-profit receiving state or federal funds, it doesn't.  However, as of now, the coach from this story DOES have the "legal" right to do what he did, since smoking pot in CO isn't a protected class/scenario.  Of course, the school also has the right to fire him for engaging in behavior that is contrary to their overall mission and makes them look bad publicly.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

as of now, the coach from this story DOES have the "legal" right to do what he did, since smoking pot in CO isn't a protected class/scenario.

^ Exactly. 

He has the legal right.  While the examples you cite of racism ("ghetto", "inner-city" or "urban") are not legal.  "I'm pretty sure the above, if received by one of your Durham Eagles, would cause your head to explode." I said earlier that his text was rubbish and that I would have been upset if my son or player had received that reply.  I thought it was stupid for Coach Jeffcoat to bring politics into it and blame politicians for the actions of the voters.  In addition, I don't think you treat someone that way who is showing interest in attending your university.  Even if you don't recruit Colorado, use the opportunity to sell your school.  However, it sounds like some want it both ways (i.e., "We're not only going to legalize pot in our state, but we expect everyone in the non-legalized states to be accepting of it anyway"). 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

^ Exactly. 

However, it sounds like some want it both ways (i.e., "We're not only going to legalize pot in our state, but we expect everyone in the non-legalized states to be accepting of it anyway"). 

--Dave

Nah. You're way off base, Dave. We legalized pot in this state. We don't expect anyone outside of Colorado to accept that. We do expect, however that people make the effort to pick their knuckles up out of the dirt from time to time. I don't think it's too much to ask for "adults" to not punish kids for political decisions that are made in their state. The fact that this ass clown was fired less than 24 hours after his email went viral is strong evidence that he was in the wrong.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Nah. You're way off base, Dave. We legalized pot in this state. We don't expect anyone outside of Colorado to accept that.

So the voters expected to be ostracized?  I get that the actual users wouldn't care if they were ostracized, or not.  But the non-users wouldn't care, either?  Hard to believe...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The fact that this ass clown was fired less than 24 hours after his email went viral is strong evidence that he was in the wrong.

No, that's strong evidence that you'd better keep your mouth shut because if you upset anyone it's time to get out the pitchforks.  I'll say it again, I don't agree with the message he sent to that student.  At the same time, states need to understand the national (or regional) blowback when they do what they do.  Heck, North Carolina is still dealing with who and who not to let into a public bathroom.  I never realized that could be so difficult to figure out.  Add to that, there are still some around here that choose to fly a Confederate battle flag in their yard.  North Carolina still has those folks, too.  Does that reflect on me?  I think it does.  I don't want to be lumped in with them, but heck I live in North Carolina.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

So the voters expected to be ostracized?  I get that the actual users wouldn't care if they were ostracized, or not.  But the non-users wouldn't care, either?  Hard to believe...

--Dave

It's a huge assumption that only users voted for legalization. I am not a user and I voted for it. States' rights and let adults do what they already do (and tax them for it). And yes . . . I expected a certain degree of ostracism. I get it every time I leave the state, every time someone visits from another state and I get it on online forums (in jest, at least on the surface). I'm from Colorado, so I must be a pothead. It can get annoying when someone makes an assumption about me without taking two seconds to get to know me.

But hey, here's me: I don't see a single thing wrong with using any recreational drug as long as you're not bothering anyone else. I stopped using when I found out I was going to be a dad. I then took a job that requires me to maintain a security clearance, so using is incompatible with employment. If I won the lottery tomorrow, would I make a run to the weed shop? No. Not as long as I am a coach. I feel that my use of marijuana is incompatible with the kind of coach I want to be.

I'm sure the people who voted against it, like my dad hate the fact that they're lumped in with users.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Add to that, there are still some around here that choose to fly a Confederate battle flag in their yard.  North Carolina still has those folks, too.  Does that reflect on me?  I think it does.  I don't want to be lumped in with them, but heck I live in North Carolina.

--Dave

So let's go a little further down this rabbit hole. You find out about the ideal coaching job in another state. One that really speaks to you. You reach out to the AD asking for consideration. His reply is that he won't consider anyone from NC because of the whole transgender restroom flap. You're okay with that AD taking that position?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

--Dave

I voted yes as a non user for two reasons.

As a long time employer I witnessed a couple of generations that were being ostracized when it came to finding employment due to a really harsh sentencing system when it came to drugs in general.  I simply knew too many people hindered by getting busted for an ounce of weed and then having a record.

When I was young and dumb and the cops found my stash....they made me dump it out and let me go. This was pre " War on Drugs".

In all my years of hiring I never ran one single background check, credit check or asked for any drug testing. I felt that was an infringement on that persons rights. This while every other Tom, Dick and Harry started requiring these items just to finish the interview process.

I am also in the camp that believes drugs like heroin should be legal...or at least not illegal if you become an addict homeless on the streets. I believe a heroin addict deserves some health services in a program rather than a jail cell.

The second reason was simple. People are going to smoke weed....so tax the chit out of it.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: