Notifications
Clear all

This is why we do it!

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Good Afternoon Coaches

It's finally football season again, and if any of you are like me you're probably in the thick of preseason preparation!

Yesterday our organization was invited to attend the Baltimore Ravens practice at their training camp facility. First off, huge shout out to the Ravens organization! They provided our players with a first class experience that most players never get the chance to experience. They had tons of activities for the kids, food trucks, ice cream and snowball trucks, and many other accommodations for our boys!

In the shadow of Covid, they had certain protocols that they had to adhere to, one of which prohibited personal contact with the players😞. 

As the practice ended, several Ravens players made their way over to the kids area. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Queen, and Mark Andrews..to name a few. The players were autographing footballs and tossing them into the crowd. There must have been 300 kids or more! It was awesome! Several of our players ended up with balls. We also had an impromptu Who's Ball break out in the stands between a few of our players!! I let it go for a couple seconds then broke it up. Can't say i wasn't proud though.

Anyway, the real reason for this post was to highlight a specific act that i witnessed from one of our players, AJ.

As we all headed back to our vehicles, i was walking with AJ and some other players that rode with me. AJ noticed a small child, probably 5 or 6 years old, with his mother. He was crying and visibility upset. Without hesitation AJ walked over to the child and asked him if he was ok. The child expressed to AJ that he really wanted to get a ball, but the crowd of big kids was too big for him to get close enough. AJ took a knee right next to the child, patted him on the head, and said here you go buddy!

He gave a football, signed by All Pro TE Mark Andrews to this child without even thinking twice! Needless to say i was floored! Had to choke back tears in front of my players. Some of the other players made comments to me about what a good person AJ is!

You can win or lose football games and everything will be fine. Moments like this one are why we do what we do!

Don't lose sight of what really matters fellas!

• Ryan

32wedge, jtrent64, Bill03 and 2 people liked
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

That's a good one, Ryan. Now, I'm fired up to have a hell of a practice. Just the shot in the arm I needed right now. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co

It was a treasure of a moment for me. Wish they would warn me when they're going do stuff like that! Can't be crying in front of my players😂😂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I told your story to my players today right before practice. I told them that it made me think of them and that I was sure every one of them would do the same thing. Best practice on both sides of the ball in recent memory. Coincidence?

I really needed a practice like that. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP and rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
Share: