Notifications
Clear all

Tiny Mite - 5/6 Year Olds Advice/Wisdom

RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Soliciting Advice on this age group.

Our Org hadn't run this age group for the last couple of season. Numbers came in and we are 8 practices in now. I'm the HC. Things are honestly going pretty well (I think). Just looking for any advice/wisdom from coaches that have been through this before.

We are scrimmaging this Saturday. Wish we had another week but it's the same for all teams involved so I expect it to be very ugly on both sides. I would like to say we have 1 play in but really I'd call it 1/2 a play (POWER), 2 more practices this week to get it cleaned up and hope to install SWEEP as well. We have 2 weeks (6 practices) after that to get ready for 1st game. Spent some more time on the Defense last night, one thing we have going for us is they will allow 2 coaches on the field @ this age this year, should help a lot w/ getting the all lined up on Defense, it's tough for 1 coach to get them all settled in time.

We have spent the majority of our time on Blocking and Tackling and the last few practices introducing them to contact (going well @ this age they really do lack fear) plus attempting to Team Build and continuing to evaluate players, I'd expect us to line up quite differently in a month as to what we have today. It is slow going. I take my practice plan then essentially cut it in 1/2 then usually we have to drop a session as well.

If you don't understand something if you can't explain it to a 6 year old, I'm learning I know nothing.

So any one that has been there before your advice is welcome, knew what I was signing up for but just want to give the best experience possible. It's a good group kids though. Overall I'm pleased come Saturday I may feel differently.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Soliciting Advice on this age group.

Our Org hadn't run this age group for the last couple of season. Numbers came in and we are 8 practices in now. I'm the HC. Things are honestly going pretty well (I think). Just looking for any advice/wisdom from coaches that have been through this before.

We are scrimmaging this Saturday. Wish we had another week but it's the same for all teams involved so I expect it to be very ugly on both sides. I would like to say we have 1 play in but really I'd call it 1/2 a play (POWER), 2 more practices this week to get it cleaned up and hope to install SWEEP as well. We have 2 weeks (6 practices) after that to get ready for 1st game. Spent some more time on the Defense last night, one thing we have going for us is they will allow 2 coaches on the field @ this age this year, should help a lot w/ getting the all lined up on Defense, it's tough for 1 coach to get them all settled in time.

We have spent the majority of our time on Blocking and Tackling and the last few practices introducing them to contact (going well @ this age they really do lack fear) plus attempting to Team Build and continuing to evaluate players, I'd expect us to line up quite differently in a month as to what we have today. It is slow going. I take my practice plan then essentially cut it in 1/2 then usually we have to drop a session as well.

If you don't understand something if you can't explain it to a 6 year old, I'm learning I know nothing.

So any one that has been there before your advice is welcome, knew what I was signing up for but just want to give the best experience possible. It's a good group kids though. Overall I'm pleased come Saturday I may feel differently.

R

You are awesome.

My advise....lots of things will happen on purpose but more things will happen accidentally....good and bad...so just keep smiling. They are a ton of fun even if you lose every game.  Most wont even know what the score was unless you tell them.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Here is a good thread from a year or so ago.  It touches on coaching 6 year olds.

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php?topic=8421.0

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Yeah, but that's why that age is so great to coach.

At the end of the year you'll be a way better coach.  Or institutionalized.  (Not that those are mutually exclusive.)

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks John, knew it had been covered just couldn't find it in the search function.

The tip on the "bags" is one we quickly learned, you almost need a coach whose only job is to follow the groups around and clean up the bags not being currently in use or they will be on them in a heartbeat.

I know I talk too much, it is just so hard to explain things to them, need to do a better job with the drills we run that really show them what we are looking for. Was at a lost last night trying to explain to them on Defense they go when the ball moves. It's just slow rowing. We've done our best not to talk "up" to them and use lingo. Lots of "what do we do on Defense?....Tackle the man (other team) with the ball". "When coach says Blocking what does that mean?"  "Protect our runner from the other team's tackler's" and then give short examples with the coaches doing it. Pretty sure it's not going through to the majority of them yet, ha.

I do like the idea of popping the water balloon with tackling drills. Just sent the email to coaches saying we need more splatter tackling to get them to run through the tackle rather than attempt to "catch" the runner. That might help as well.

It's going to be chaos on Saturday, I'm going to do my best to look for what is good and note what the priorities are for the next 2 weeks. Can't get too upset and just realize it's going to take time.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

Angle drills and splatter blocking/tackling are both HUGE at this level.

My number one thing on offense from 5-8 years old is that you better at least have a direct snap package.  Too many times do I see coaches under center and the "running back" is being tackled as the qb is handing it off.  If you don't have a beast package or single wing in then you are doing the team a disservice IMO.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze
Topic starter  

My number one thing on offense from 5-8 years old is that you better at least have a direct snap package.  Too many times do I see coaches under center and the "running back" is being tackled as the qb is handing it off.  If you don't have a beast package or single wing in then you are doing the team a disservice IMO.

Unfortunately, angle pursuit drills are one thing that has been cut during the practice twice. I'm going to regret it and we will have to find a way to work on it and drop something else.

We are direct snap. I don't see the point in going any other way (other than DW, and I don't have the coaching chops for that) until you can effectively pass the ball and even then why not just pass it from Direct Snap?

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Our 4-6 year old level is flag and I am helping their coach install beast. The HC really likes it.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

Our 4-6 year old level is flag and I am helping their coach install beast. The HC really likes it.

Funny thing about the young kids is they get genuinely excited about anything you call the BEAST! lol

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze

In line with that, I call power Wolverine.  "Wolverine is unstoppable, he can't be killed" etc.  They are becoming quite enthusiastic.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

In line with that, I call power Wolverine.  "Wolverine is unstoppable, he can't be killed" etc.  They are becoming quite enthusiastic.

RJ

Good stuff coach.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

Unfortunately, angle pursuit drills are one thing that has been cut during the practice twice. I'm going to regret it and we will have to find a way to work on it and drop something else.

Not long range angle, I guess I should explain

^.........V...........^
...........X.............

There are a line of ball carriers behind V and a line behind X.  The X line has two footballs.  The X runs towards a ^ with V chopping feet.

Coaches coach ballcarrier to carry ball in left arm running left, right arm running right.
Coaches coach ballcarrier to go 2/3 speed.  THIS IS FOR THE DEFENSE.

Coaches coach "tackler" (V) to get head in front, wrap up, (bite the ball, eyes below eyes, etc.)

I prefer to do our angle tackling this way because it forces our tacklers to react and get their heads out in front.

With 30 kids I have 3 groups.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze

To get some pursuit in, I include it in with warm up.  We do Clark's leg strengthening routine as a warmup and instead of a sprint down and back at the end I have the outside guy jog and everyone else has to touch him before they stop.  That is at least 2 reps every practice.  Once they figure out the lazy way to organize themselves I will pick a player at random to be the rabbit.

I haven't gotten there yet, but I intend to have the backs running scout keep going until they are touched.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
Share: