Notifications
Clear all

Urban Meyer

Page 2 / 9

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

M'kay.  But I'd be real reticent to get involved in the personal lives of my coaching staff.  That's for them to deal with.  If there's illegal activity between the spouses that's suspected, I don't know if I'm going to call the police if one of the spouse's isn't.  I certainly don't want my header involved in my private life, or my relationship with my spouse.  I think it's a police matter.

--Dave

I don't think he was under any obligation to call the police.

And if you don't like the policy, don't take the job.

What if one of your assistants was molesting one of your players, but, you know, only on off days?  I mean, it is their private lives and all.

The whole policy might just be case of trying to substitute the judgement of a better moron, but I think in a lot of cases, judging by this thread, that might not be quite as much a case of threading the needle as it might seem to some people.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze

Right. So THEY can sweep it under the rug.

Hey, I know you were military.

Junior man with a secret gets executed.

- Ray

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

If people begin to associate OSU football with wife beating coaches, then there's a chance that the interest and therefore the money dries up.

I get that when you're in a high-profile industry where being the face of an org carries great responsibility, but I was thinking that Meyer's "issue" was that he lied to the public (or admin) (and I have known about marital issues within my coaching staff that I did not take public.  Nor would I.) and that he didn't fire the guy.  I think he fired the coach when he was arrested, which is what I would have done.  Until that time, I'm thinking this is an issue between the spouses.  I could be wrong on this and I haven't paid much attention to this incident other than the fact it's probably making Meyer squirm, which is always a good thing.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

It violates his contract shame on him

Awful lot of people angry over contract violations these days

He should've called the police in 2009, gimme a break. He fired the guy and now is paying the price bc he "may have" known his assistant was beating up his wife. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And if you don't like the policy, don't take the job.

--I agree.  I just don't know what the policy was/is.

What if one of your assistants was molesting one of your players, but, you know, only on off days?  I mean, it is their private lives and all.

--Different scenario.  The player is not an adult, who can not be expected to make a mature, adult decision to be able to protect themselves.  That's why there are laws to protect them.  Like statutory rape, a child is not in a position to give consent (for a multitude of reasons).

The coach's wife IS an adult and knows the resources that she has available to her.  Being on the outside, trying to judge the "he said/she said" aspect of a relationship where the only thing you know is a spouse TEXTING other wives about what a louse her husband is, can be a very slippery slope.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Is Urban Meyer posting under DP's name?

And I love the "I don't know the policy, but here's why it's wrong" approach.  Very nice touch.  You're EXACTLY the kind of person the policy is designed to correct for.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The Issue is that, if he did know, he did not bring it to the attention of School Authorities as is written in his contract.  I would guess that almost every Coach has this type of clause in the aftermath of Sandusky/Paterno.

Okay, I understand that.  The long and the short of it is, (and I know nothing about the case), if I have the wife of my coach who is texting my wife about what a louse her husband is, I'm telling her to "stop bringing my wife into your personal business.  You're a grown woman; get out of the relationship.  Call the police. Get an attorney."  It's not my responsibility, it's hers.  I'm not acting on heresay or "he said/she said" texts.  If, on the other hand, I see him raise his hand to her, I'm kicking his butt, calling the cops and firing his sorry self.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Is Urban Meyer posting under DP's name?

--Ha!  Thanks for the out, though.

And I love the "I don't know the policy, but here's why it's wrong" approach.  Very nice touch.  You're EXACTLY the kind of person the policy is designed to correct for.

--I don't know what's in his contract.  I don't know how it's stated.  And I'm not going to pretend that I do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

but I was thinking that Meyer's "issue" was that he lied to the public

Agree, but it's one thing to lie to the public about "I didn't know my AC was investigated for getting in a bar fight" and another when it concerns violence against a woman. That's just being tone deaf.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Agree, but it's one thing to lie to the public about "I didn't know my AC was investigated for getting in a bar fight" and another when it concerns violence against a woman. That's just being tone deaf.

There's just too much that I don't know about it.  If the wife hasn't gone to the cops, I dunno if they're trying to work it out, or she doesn't want to ruin hubby's career so she asks Meyer not to take it public...all sorts of scenarios.  Maybe he was told by his boss to sit on it, and that the boss would deal with it.  Sometimes it stinks to be the Company Man.  I'm not defending him.  I can't stand the guy.  But there's a lot more that needs to come out before I'm willing to gather the torches and pitchforks.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

When did it become the bosses job of any company to report potential abuse to the authorities?

It's actually in his coaching contract that he (or his agent) negotiated with the University and then he signed.  It states in the contract that if he has knowledge and does not report it he could be relieved of his coaching duties at Ohio State.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

The issue is not that he didn't report it to Police.  The Issue is that, if he did know, he did not bring it to the attention of School Authorities as is written in his contract.  I would guess that almost every Coach has this type of clause in the aftermath of Sandusky/Paterno. 

FYI

Bingo!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

It states in the contract that if he has knowledge and does not report it he could be relieved of his coaching duties at Ohio State.

Okay, but "knowledge" of what and how is it worded?  The guy has all sorts of "knowledge."

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

It violates his contract shame on him

Awful lot of people angry over contract violations these days

He should've called the police in 2009, gimme a break. He fired the guy and now is paying the price bc he "may have" known his assistant was beating up his wife.

According to a story that broke, the assistant's wife has text messages confirming that Meyer knew about it in 2009, talked to the assistant about it, and then did not inform school personnel.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

The "Investigation" should last about 2 days.  I hear the question is was it before or after Meyer signed his Extension?  If I'm not mistaken, the Coach in question was dismissed from the staff earlier this year. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 9
Share: