Notifications
Clear all

Urban Meyer

Page 3 / 9

CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

The "Investigation" should last about 2 days.  I hear the question is was it before or after Meyer signed his Extension?  If I'm not mistaken, the Coach in question was dismissed from the staff earlier this year.

I believe he was fired about 2 weeks ago, when all of the information on previous arrests became public.  According to the interview with the assistant's wife, a couple of people talked to her back in 2009 and told her to keep everything quiet because her husband would lose his job and never work as a college football coach again if it all came out.  She divorced him and stayed silent.  I'm not exactly sure what happened that brought everything out to the public in the last couple of weeks though.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

I think domestic violence is a completely different thing than most other crimes - not all, most.  There are valid reasons why people who are beaten/abused by their significant others don't report it.  That's why you have these contract provisions and laws, because it's so difficult for the abused to advocate for themselves, and easy for those around it to look the other way.

You can say "she's an adult, chose to stay, blah blah blah", but that just shows that you have never walked in her shoes, and don't know WTF you're talking about.  It's a LOT more complicated than that.  Looking the other way is pretty much condoning/enabling the activity, which in this case is pretty heinous.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

Okay, I understand that.  The long and the short of it is, (and I know nothing about the case), if I have the wife of my coach who is texting my wife about what a louse her husband is, I'm telling her to "stop bringing my wife into your personal business.  You're a grown woman; get out of the relationship.  Call the police. Get an attorney."  It's not my responsibility, it's hers.  I'm not acting on heresay or "he said/she said" texts.  If, on the other hand, I see him raise his hand to her, I'm kicking his butt, calling the cops and firing his sorry self.

--Dave

Seriously? 

Maybe Harvey Weinstein hacked Dave’s account.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Seriously? 

Maybe Harvey Weinstein hacked Dave’s account.

Arnie, you're just repeating Michael's joke.  Do your own material.
As I said, she's a grown woman.  If she's getting assaulted, she needs to tell the police.  As I said, I have no idea what's going on.  The definition of assault (and something we cover with our players, can range from anything to hitting someone to detaining them by grabbing them by the arm).  It's all assault.  But they vary greatly in terms of seriousness.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

You can say "she's an adult, chose to stay, blah blah blah", but that just shows that you have never walked in her shoes, and don't know WTF you're talking about.  It's a LOT more complicated than that.  Looking the other way is pretty much condoning/enabling the activity, which in this case is pretty heinous.

Yes, John it IS a lot more complicated than that.  (Which is what I've been saying all along.)  As for not walking in her shoes, I have been involved with these kind of situations for many years.  Both familial and not.  And because these things are complicated is reason enough to know what reasons Meyer had for his (in)action before the public flogging.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I believe he was fired about 2 weeks ago, when all of the information on previous arrests became public.

Well that's too late.  If you're going to fire someone, you do so when they're found guilty, not when the word gets out.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Couldn't disagree more.  That it's complicated is exactly why he should have done what he was both possibly required to do and morally should have done, and that is report it to the people who do this shit for a living, and put the guy on leave until the situation was resolved, one way or another.  Get it out of your program ASAP.

Again, there's a reason for both regulatory and contractual mandatory reporting, and looking the other way violates every bit of that.  And I don't care if it's in his contract or not - if it turns out he did look the other way, even if he just had a micro-sniff that something was up, I'd fire his ass even if I had to buy him out.  And I'd publicly state he should never coach again.

This shit is serious, and playing the "duh" act doesn't cut it.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Well, I wasn't there.  But being crucified on what someone said to my wife in a text is hardly evidence.

--Dave 

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Well, I wasn't there.  But being crucified on what someone said to my wife in a text is hardly evidence.

--Dave

Dave,
He knew, it was in his contract and she did go to the police. Pretty cut and dry. Pictures to back it up. Police reports, court orders, his signature, the meeting he had with the coach, the text messages..... lots of evidence quickly available with a google search. On top of that, he has a history of covering up stuff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Here's an excerpt of the contract:

A provision was added to termination for cause that states Meyer’s contract can be terminated if he fails to promptly report to the university’s deputy Title IX coordinator-athletics or the university’s Title IX coordinator "any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event."

I don't know when that provision was added to his contract.

"Intimate violence" fits the description of the assault.  Meyer said he knew of the 2009 incident, but didn't know of the 2015 one.  The abused wife says she never told or texted Meyer, but texted his wife.  Its possible that he didn't know about the 2015 incident, but unlikely.  So I'll side on the "innocent until proven guilty" part of this.  Debbie has friends who like to text her about the gossip in their private lives and who's saying what about who.  I've told her, "I don't want to hear it.  I don't want to know it and I don't want her sharing it."  I don't know if she still receives those kinds of texts, but she doesn't share them with me if she does.  So there may be some very crummy things going on in the lives of our acquaintances, but Deb doesn't share them with me if she's getting texts about it.

But if Meyer's guilty of anything, he'll get fired over this.  And we'll find out pretty soon.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

lots of evidence quickly available with a google search.

That may be.  I don't spend my time on it.  He's a scummy person and I've said it on this forum for years.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And if Meyer does get fired, then Brian Kelly really needs to worry.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

Here's an excerpt of the contract:

A provision was added to termination for cause that states Meyer’s contract can be terminated if he fails to promptly report to the university’s deputy Title IX coordinator-athletics or the university’s Title IX coordinator "any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event."

I don't know when that provision was added to his contract.

"Intimate violence" fits the description of the assault.  Meyer said he knew of the 2009 incident, but didn't know of the 2015 one.  The abused wife says she never told or texted Meyer, but texted his wife.  Its possible that he didn't know about the 2015 incident, but unlikely.  So I'll side on the "innocent until proven guilty" part of this.  Debbie has friends who like to text her about the gossip in their private lives and who's saying what about who.  I've told her, "I don't want to hear it.  I don't want to know it and I don't want her sharing it."  I don't know if she still receives those kinds of texts, but she doesn't share them with me if she does.  So there may be some very crummy things going on in the lives of our acquaintances, but Deb doesn't share them with me if she's getting texts about it.

But if Meyer's guilty of anything, he'll get fired over this.  And we'll find out pretty soon.

--Dave

One other note, Meyer's wife also works for the University and I read that she is also bound to rules about reporting these types of incidents.  So, if somehow she never did tell Urban, she is still at fault herself for not reporting it to the University.  Whole situation seems pretty messed up.  I seriously doubt Urban will be reinstated.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

And don't forget that OSU's wrestling program is in hot water for sex misconduct as well. I think that scandall will force OSU to fire him.

Anyone remember why Tressel got fired?

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The whole point of the policy is that the coach does not get to pick what counts and what doesn't.  And does not get to investigate for himself.

His bosses told him what to kick upstairs, and he quite possibly ignored that requirement.

While Meyer's defense may be, in part, that Dave Potter of North Carolina doesn't see what the big deal is -- I mean, MAYBE the woman's husband was actually smacking her around, but hey, maybe he wasn't, and if there's anything you want to know about running the DW or about how to handle possible domestic violence cases, just ask -- I think Meyer might try a different approach.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9
Share: