Notifications
Clear all

Urban Meyer

Page 4 / 9

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

And don't forget that OSU's wrestling program is in hot water for sex misconduct as well. I think that scandall will force OSU to fire him.

Anyone remember why Tressel got fired?

I may be wrong but I believe Tressel got fired because players were selling OSU Gear and profiting from it against the rules.  He knew and did nothing.

Way too much Guilty until proven innocent going on everywhere these days. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

That may be.  I don't spend my time on it.  He's a scummy person and I've said it on this forum for years.

--Dave

How so?

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

While Meyer's defense may be, in part, that Dave Potter of North Carolina doesn't see what the big deal is

It's not about whether it's a big deal, or not.  It's about whether he violated his contract, what he's responsible for, what he's truthful about, and what's really happened between the spouses.  But if Meyer's telling the truth, then he should be absolved.  And in time, that will probably be found out.  Problem is, folks who want to make that leap before it's found out.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How so?

It goes back to a clinic of his that I attended and how he spoke about his own players.  Just completely disrespectful.  If I'd been the parent of a Fla. parent, Meyer would never have made it through the clinic.  There was also an instance where Meyer was asked to leave a football clinic he was giving because of his language. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I may be wrong but I believe Tressel got fired because players were selling OSU Gear and profiting from it against the rules.  He knew and did nothing.

He knew and covered it.  Tressel was involved in a much bigger illegality when he was the header at Youngstown State.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/220143-jim-tressel-the-youngstown-state-scandal-revisited

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

How so?

Just google the guy.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Problem is, folks who want to make that leap before it's found out.

Eh, there might be more than one problem.  You certainly seem to have at least two in this case, but keep on stumbling on.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Way too much Guilty until proven innocent going on everywhere these days.

Yep.  And there's such a thing as due process.  Give it time, it'll be found out.  And if he burns because of it, so be it. 

It's real easy to say "If I saw such & such going on, I'd report it."  Not as easy when you know both parties involved.  Or you've asked them not to involve you.  Or they tell you they want to "Keep it just between us."  If Meyer's covering up, it may not be for him.  It may not be for his AC.  Could it be that he's trying to save his butt?  Absolutely.  But I'm not going to sit here and tell you what he knew, when I don't.  Or what his motivations are.  I have no idea.  I just know what I think about him as a person, and I wouldn't allow my kid to play for him, nor would I allow him on my campus.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I also know that when you do report things, that you have bosses that want to keep it quiet, say that they're taking care of it, etc.  I've experienced this first hand.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Here's a funny and ironic bit from a OSU fan forum:

"He gets things going with an Earle Bruce meets turtle joke, expresses his desire for guys that will choke you out after losing a game of checkers and goes on to cover a multitude of topics -- all with passion and a flair for colorful language -- before imploring the coaches in attendance to "make the great state of Ohio even greater". Honestly, all that was missing was Meyer dropping the microphone and exiting stage left.

Could this man be any more different than Jim Tressel?"

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And this from a bit about the 20 most foul-mouthed coaches in (any) sport:

#10--Urban Meyer

Florida Gators head coach Urban Meyer can come across in a smooth and cool manner at times, but we're still talking about a coach who was in the news for dropping too much profanity at a coaching clinic in Pennsylvania in 2009.

Meyer's ranting at that clinic offered an insight to what can only be an exponential increase in profanity in Gators practice or on game days.

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

When did it become the bosses job of any company to report potential abuse to the authorities? You become the judge jury and executioner AND what if you were wrong? Yes I know that it's in his contract, but dang I think we are putting way too much at the feet of those in charge. It's enough for me to keep track of my own family/players now I have to monitor staff family relationships?  I just think as a nation we are becoming a society of victims and of course someone elseshould have prevented any and every indecent action. In this instance why didn't the victim just report it to the police? Why tell a bunch of wives?

I know I know I am being disagreeable. I am not for sheltering criminals, but I am also not a police officer trained into following up on abuse claims.

Little behind on the thread but as soon as you sign up to be a coach you turn into a mandatory reporter. You don't get to pick and choose what may or may not be true. Coaches are not trained when it comes to investigating crimes. Let the experts decide if its a crime or not.

Think about it this way. You hear or think one of your players is being abused by their parents. You don't know for sure. Would you turn a blind eye hoping for the best or do something ?

And this isn't the first time for Meyer and this coach. There was an incident in Florida where the police were involved. Yes you can say he wasn't charged....but obviously there has been a pattern. Meyer knew about the incident in Florida. A majority of domestic violence victims recant after the fact. I would guess the thought of her husband losing out on a lucrative career that was just getting going and the guilt that most DV victims feel when they report the abuse then their meal ticket is gone sunk it.

I'm shocked anyone here would say....not my problem if one of my coaches is thought to be abusing his wife. None of my business. I will look the other way. What needs to happen for you to look into it ? Him beating her right in front of you ?

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

When you can get thrown out of a FOOTBALL COACHING CLINIC for too much bad language, how bad does it have to be?  I've seen (heard) him in action, he's pretty bad.  Addazio's worse, but not just for language...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

What Im hearing on the radio today is this

Meyer reported this to whoever he was supposed to report it to at OSU
From there he has fulfilled his requirement to report and it was up to THEM to put out punishment

Could that be true
ABSOLUTELY

Could they be setting up a fall guy
ABSOLUTELY

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Just google the guy.

Ha, I'm aware of his rep. However I also know HS Coaches who have spent significant time w him that speak very highly. Of course wouldn't expect that from a bitter Noles fan  😛

If you Google him right now, this story is about all you're going to see. DP seemed to have some first hand knowledge.

Language not at all a concern for me. I hope whoever tossed him from the clinic never invited Alex Gibbs to speak.

Some of the best people I know cuss like sailors. And vice versa. See how it might bother people in the bible belt but in the Northeast we let the F bombs flow freely and unapologetically.

How you treat people, on the other hand, does matter. Interested in exactly what he said about his players that was so disrespectful.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 9
Share: