Notifications
Clear all

Urban Meyer

Page 5 / 9

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The link about Meyer at the clinic:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-03-10/sports/whitley10_1_meyer-bleep-profanity

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

Arnie, you're just repeating Michael's joke.  Do your own material.
As I said, she's a grown woman.  If she's getting assaulted, she needs to tell the police.  As I said, I have no idea what's going on.  The definition of assault (and something we cover with our players, can range from anything to hitting someone to detaining them by grabbing them by the arm).  It's all assault.  But they vary greatly in terms of seriousness.

--Dave

Dave -

That is what you think most should or would do. That is not the reality in domestic violence situations. I see it daily with my job. I investigate these pieces of garbage. DV victims are afraid to report the crimes to the police. Most instances the man is the bread winner, they will be put out on the streets if they have him arrested. These guys are bully's. They bully the victims into thinking they have no power, they can't get help, no one will do anything for them and if they call the police their lives will get worse. I don't think you understand the dynamic in these situations.

Each and every coach is a mandatory reporter when it comes to abuse. It is absolutely Meyer's job, and all of ours, to contact the police if suspected abuse is taking place. I am not talking about marital issues. This is abuse. Bug difference. Every marriage has issues, not every woman gets physically assaulted by her husband or boyfriend.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I'm shocked anyone here would say....not my problem if one of my coaches is thought to be abusing his wife. None of my business. I will look the other way. What needs to happen for you to look into it ? Him beating her right in front of you ?

"I will look the other way?"  No one's saying that.  I'm just trying to find out what his contract says he's responsible for, since so many has said it's a contract violation.  The first I heard of that, I was thinking "He has it in his contract not to allow Smith to beat his wife?"  What kind of a contract is that?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

That is what you think most should or would do. That is not the reality in domestic violence situations. I see it daily with my job. I investigate these pieces of garbage. DV victims are afraid to report the crimes to the police. Most instances the man is the bread winner, they will be put out on the streets if they have him arrested. These guys are bully's.

Josh, you're preaching to the choir: the top 3 reasons these go unreported is because of fear of retalition/safety, being put out on the street, and low esteem.  (Yes, many women think they somehow deserve it.)  It's very similar to a pimp/working girl relationship.  However, there are also spouses who like to involve other people in their drama, for sympathy, attention, or whatever else.  This case may be the former, the latter, or both.  But if Meyer has a responsibility in this, I want to know what it is.  Is it that of an employer, a good samaritan, or what?  I'm asking.  Can you get fired for not being a Good Samaritan?  If so, why are they waiting until now?  If it's in his contract, I wondered how it's included in a contract.  And if he didn't know, maybe he didn't.  But I don't know how anyone here can be judge/jury/executioner UNLESS you have ALL the facts.  Me?  I'm willing to wait. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Let's say a coach is driving home from work and sees an accident on the street and EMS hasn't yet arrived.  Let's say he ignores the accident and continues home.  I think he should have stopped and assisted.  Perhaps everyone else does, too.  Let's also say the media finds out he did this, and thus gets fired.  Should he have?  I certainly don't want his name representing my brand.  But does the school have a legal right to fire him?  I'm not judging whether they should, or not.  I'm asking what part of the contract allows them to do this?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Every marriage has issues, not every woman gets physically assaulted by her husband or boyfriend.

No, they don't.  But they'd better know what the abuse is, and on who's part before rendering a decision.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

What Im hearing on the radio today is this

Meyer reported this to whoever he was supposed to report it to at OSU
From there he has fulfilled his requirement to report and it was up to THEM to put out punishment

Could that be true
ABSOLUTELY

Could they be setting up a fall guy
ABSOLUTELY

That could be, but if it is then why did he say the other day that he didn't know anything about it?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

That could be, but if it is then why did he say the other day that he didn't know anything about it?

People, where legalities are concerned, are known to split hairs when discussing things publicly.  Don't know which question he denied, or more importantly, how he was denying. 

Question: "Did you know an assault took place at 12:15am?"

Answer: "No, no one ever told me about it." (Meaning, no one ever told him about what time it took place.)  This answer buys him (and the university time), so they can later argue they weren't denying knowledge of anything except what time it occurred.  Happens a lot.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Folks:

OSU is also culpable here.  If that coach had/has multiple arrests who did the vetting?  Urban Meyer?  The Athletic Department? The University?  If it is incumbent on the Coaching Staff to report then it should also be incumbent upon the University to frequently monitor those they employ as well.     

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Folks:

OSU is also culpable here.

I'll bet they are also scrambling around trying to figure out how many of them could lose their jobs.  I'll bet their lawyers are speedreading everyone's contracts. "Who reports to who...who vets who...? Who's responsible for what?"  Could be a lot more than Meyer going down.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Folks:

OSU is also culpable here.  If that coach had/has multiple arrests who did the vetting?  Urban Meyer?  The Athletic Department? The University?  If it is incumbent on the Coaching Staff to report then it should also be incumbent upon the University to frequently monitor those they employ as well.     

I think it has become obvious over the years universities do very little research into peoples backgrounds when hiring coaches.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I think it has become obvious over the years universities do very little research into peoples backgrounds when hiring coaches.

Notre Dame and George O'Leary.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Interested in exactly what he said about his players that was so disrespectful.

"This motherf&*%$# didn't cover like he was supposed to.  This dumb son of a ?*%$#.... decides to press coverage. This stupid f#@* blew his coverage."  And on and on about his kids.  Clearly, he was taking the "This isn't MY fault approach" which made it even more offensive....as I said, how bad does it have to be when you're asked by your own audience to leave?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

What everyone is missing, is that this is all about the Clery Act. OSU doesn't have a choice if they want to keep their federal funding. It is plain & simple, & has zero to do with right or wrong or any moral questions.

Does anyone really think OSU would publicly place Meyer on leave the day Fall camp started if they had any choice? The federal funds from title IX are way to large to chance losing.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Agree, but it's one thing to lie to the public about "I didn't know my AC was investigated for getting in a bar fight" and another when it concerns violence against a woman. That's just being tone deaf.

How close are you with your AC's?  What would you believe about them? What would you not believe?  How loyal to them are you? How loyal to you are they?  What would you do for them? What would you not do for them? 

I guess those questions could go out to the 'Coaching Community' as a whole.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 9
Share: