USA football Heads ...

Notifications
Clear all

USA football Heads up tackling is wrong..

Page 1 / 3

Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

The way USA football is teaching players and leagues to tackle is totally wrong and out dated. Yes it alleviates neck injuries but it does not address the concussion issue. A lot of Coaches have a problem with it because of the technique involved. I have a problem with it because it's dangerous. Heads up is great but they should take it a step further. It should be Heads up Head out. A players head should be totally out of the game. Teaching a kid to plant their head into the chest of another player is just bad and it's scary to me that most leagues accept this. I tweeted them on this also. What do all of you Coaches think? Here's their twitter account @usafootball
Here's the proper way to tackle the way it should be taught. I know it's been posted before but it should continue to be posted.

Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Not sure where you obtain your information that USA advocates planting the facemask into the chest, because it does not.

Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Where are they putting their face masks then? I need a mic so I can drop it..

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Not a fan of USA Football or Heads Up at all, but I agree with Joker. I think if anything this technique needs to be a tool in the tool box. The technique used needs to vary with each play and each player. There is no one size fits all. My biggest problem with USAF is that they sell it as one size fits all. They are starting to back away from that stance so I think they might be starting to pull their heads out of their asses. Which is good. USAF I believe has the best interest of the sport in mind. Doesn't mean they have the best people advising them though. But again, it does seem they are seeing that their original stance on tackling was not in line with anything that is actually applicable to the game that is played on the field.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

What needs to be in our tool box is Options! We have to find a way to attack without using our head! 

Gents I am all for a methodology that teaches keeping the head up and eliminating the potential.  However, I suggest that you can preach Bite the Ball, Sniff The Pit, or Gator Roll, all day long.  Unless you (WE) are willing to take those who fail to do so out of the equation, it is what it is. 

This past season I witnessed many would be tackler drop to their knees and slide into a would be tackle.  Not only did this amount to numerous whiffs, but it put them in a compromised position.  I would much rather they stay on their feet and maintain momentum than risk a knee to the face mask, the effects of a Body In Motion Theory, or the awkwardness of their body position. 

Until such time as I am mandated to teach otherwise, I will continue to preach Head Up, Across the Body (using Shoulder and Chest), and Tackle through the ball! 

At the same time I will continue to read up on the Gator Roll or Rugby Tackle. 

😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I think if anything this technique needs to be a tool in the tool box. The technique used needs to vary with each play and each player. There is no one size fits all. My biggest problem with USAF is that they sell it as one size fits all.

^ This ^

They think that theirs is the only way to do things.  Until they find there's another only way to do things.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

^ This ^

They think that theirs is the only way to do things.  Until they find there's another only way to do things.

--Dave

I think the lawsuit against pop warner for the kid who was paralyzed in California has them with a more open mind right now. They are arrogant, had an issue with a "Master Trainer" (an actual USAF employee) with USA Football that had nothing to do with USA Football (he was sad his kid wasn't a QB) and he started telling me how smart he was, he had to be, because he was a master trainer  ::)

The stuff I am hearing/reading from them now has a different tone...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

Because we had to be USA Football certified and we had to use their progression, I think it took away a lot from my kids as we were known as the best tackling team for years until USA.  It also put my smaller kids, mostly CB's, at what seemed liked dangerous situations.

So last year I kept some of USA's stuff but really went with Pete Carroll's "Eyes to the Thighs" rugby style tackling and it made a huge difference. 

I think the tackling tool box is a good thing, maybe teach a few different ways to aggressively and safely tackle so our kids and use whichever style they feel most comfortable with and more importantly, whichever style gets the job done.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Wait I thought my team was known as the best tackling team

oh wait then there is DPs team
Then I knew my team wasnt known as the best  🙁 😉

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

Where are they putting their face masks then? I need a mic so I can drop it..

In the link you provided, they pretty clearly say two or three times, "Slide your head to the side."  Not sure how you got "plant your facemask in their chest" out of that.  Like others I'm not a huge fan of USA Football or Heads Up Tackling, but it is a tool and there is a place for it.  The way they teach it, the tackler is supposed to be initiating contact with his chest and sliding his head to the side, away from contact.  Of course, in the actual chaos of game play, there are going to be times the head ends up getting contacted, but those should typically only be glancing blows, not the kind of direct violet hits that were common when players were taught to lead with their heads (BTW, the same can be said of Hawk/Rugby/Gator Roll Tackling).

The biggest problem with Heads Up tackling is when there is a smaller tackler trying to take on a larger ball carrier.  In that scenario, Heads Up is a good way to get your tackler run over and is potentially dangerous.  Also, the technique is not likely to be effective in open field situations.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

In the link you provided, they pretty clearly say two or three times, "Slide your head to the side."  Not sure how you got "plant your facemask in their chest" out of that.  Like others I'm not a huge fan of USA Football or Heads Up Tackling, but it is a tool and there is a place for it.  The way they teach it, the tackler is supposed to be initiating contact with his chest and sliding his head to the side, away from contact.  Of course, in the actual chaos of game play, there are going to be times the head ends up getting contacted, but those should typically only be glancing blows, not the kind of direct violet hits that were common when players were taught to lead with their heads (BTW, the same can be said of Hawk/Rugby/Gator Roll Tackling).

The biggest problem with Heads Up tackling is when there is a smaller tackler trying to take on a larger ball carrier.  In that scenario, Heads Up is a good way to get your tackler run over and is potentially dangerous.  Also, the technique is not likely to be effective in open field situations.

You forgot to drop the mic.

ReplyQuote
CoachHec
(@coachhec)
Bronze

I could be wrong. But can this "one size fits all" way of tackling can be because of the weight limits that PW and other organizations place on the kids? I know stuff happens everywhere all the time but if USAF can officially say that the Rugby Tackling style, this may help in situations in where a smaller player have to tackle a larger ball carrier.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Playing Devil's Advocate in favor of what USA Football is doing:

They have to do something to combat both the real and perceived issues of head injuries.  Most youth coaching out there sucks, we are the minority.  The heads up tackling is probably 100x better than what is/was being taught in most programs.

They can't be wishy washy or they defeat the purpose of combating perceptions.  Yes, PR is important, and for them to be less than sure opens the door to doubters. Additionally, it potentially opens the door to liability if they admit they are/were wrong and someone gets hurt.

We're only looking at our world on grass, they are trying to help a sport that is under fire across the country.

ReplyQuote
CoachHec
(@coachhec)
Bronze

They have to do something to combat both the real and perceived issues of head injuries.  Most youth coaching out there sucks, we are the minority.  The heads up tackling is probably 100x better than what is/was being taught in most programs.

They can't be wishy washy or they defeat the purpose of combating perceptions.  Yes, PR is important, and for them to be less than sure opens the door to doubters. Additionally, it potentially opens the door to liability if they admit they are/were wrong and someone gets hurt.

We're only looking at our world on grass, they are trying to help a sport that is under fire across the country.

Good point. Hopefully the Heads Up program was just the beginning of protocall that can be adjusted, like the Rugby Tackling or any other sanctioned way of coaching/teaching/etc, can be included after those were proven to be effective and safe. -Hope this makes sense.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

So do you honestly feel these sucky coaches are actually teaching heads up or they just go back to their status quo?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: