Notifications
Clear all

USAF

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So I'm in the process of getting all of my certifications updated for the upcoming season.  I save the USAF for last because it's always the longest and most frustrating.  I'm watching the vid on blocking, when their narrator says this:

"Anatomically, the arms and hands are the weakest link of the kinetic chain when you consider the closing speed and forces that occur on the field."  

And I completely agree, which is why teaching players to block with their "weakest link" makes no sense to me.  However, after making this statement, USAF proceeds to teach arms and hands in blocking.

When teaching blocking, they go on to say:

"Stay square. Operating with a good base and ascending the hips are critically important to playing with leverage, but these principles mean nothing if we we are not square with our target at the time of impact.  Staying square is one of the key ingredients to playing with leverage from coil to finish for two reasons: 1) It allows for multidirectional power and body control. Opponents will move on us and by staying square with parallel feet we can adjust to lateral movement without compromising our base. 2) It enables us to achieve the arc strength position.  If our hips are not in line with our target for contact, we lose the ability to fit up in the arc strength position.  Engaging with feet staggered takes the power of our hips out of the equation and destroys our base.  The bottom line is, we are strongest when square from coil to finish and this is true for all position players and forms of contact."

And yet with tackling, USAF wants to teach tracking with the near foot/near shoulder instead of staying square.  They've long been contradictory, even with their own materials.  This is just another example.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Prodigy liked
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Thank you for citing an actual example of USA Football's ineptitude.  As I stated years ago when concussions first became a hot topic, I really feel that USAF seen an opportunity to make money and capitalize on fear by creating their "Heads Up Football" campaign and then getting youth programs to buy into it.  I think it did far more harm than good honestly.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Share: