Well...It's Back

Page 1 / 4

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So I watched the Season 2 premier.  Best part of it was Goodloe saying:

"Should I have been suspended?  Yes."
"One thing I did say I could improve on is my choice of language.  That's what I plan to do."

Scene cuts to a scrimmage where two of his players are fighting:

"We do that damn ballgame and y'all out here fighting each other. Y'all cut it out. Hey man, who the f you think you talking to over here?  You gonna do what the f we tell you to do, you understand me?  Huh?  I better not hear no s like that, no more. Know who the f you think you is."

Rhetoric reigns supreme. ::)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I might need to encourage my player's parents to watch this so they appreciate our coaches more...

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze

It started last night. Shiz I missed it. On demand should have it. Love that show. All parents should watch so we can all say.....you see we ain't so bad so let us do our thing and leave us alone

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

"One thing I did say I could improve on is my choice of language.  That's what I plan to do."

"We do that damn ballgame and y'all out here fighting each other. Y'all cut it out. Hey man, who the f you think you talking to over here?  You gonna do what the f we tell you to do, you understand me?  Huh?  I better not hear no s like that, no more. Know who the f you think you is."

--Dave

OH BABY, I love this show for all the wrong reasons, lol....

Frobes review:
As you might be able to tell by the Serious-Voice Narrator’s questions, everybody who is back on the show (which moves up to 12-and-under from 10-and-under leagues) is coming back with their tail at least a little bit between their legs. While kids launching into each other for head shots seemed OK to coaches during the fall 2013 season (the basis for season one), after that was exposed to the cool light of day, there is a sense among the coaches that maybe they should tone it down a little bit. Twice early in the first show, participants recognized the suspension of coach Charles Chavarria for the spring and fall 2014 season (the latter is the basis for season two) for unbecoming conduct, which didn’t become unbecoming until the cameras arrived. Twice, the show runs a clip of Chavarria ordering a player: “I want you to put it in his helmet! I don’t care if you don’t get up!”

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

No it starts tonight actually in Esquire Network....

They averaged over 400,000 viewers for this show last year, impressive for the Esquire Network, I never knew they were around till this show!

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Mike, why do I get the feeling you have been saving this GIF for this exact moment.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I wont watch a minute of it.

If I see a commercial about it I can feel myself getting dumber

Esquire appealing to the lowest common denominator

I refuse to be a part of the lowest of youth football

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

--Dave

I made this comment to my wife last night while we watched.....

I think Goodloe's intentions, deep down, are good.  IMO you can tell he really loves football and I think he really enjoys being involved with the kids.  We don't always get to see exactly how he runs his practices or manages playing time for mpr's and that type of stuff.  But what we do see is that his teams are very proud of who they are and the kids that are on the field always seem to be playing hard.  I think those are good signs. 

Obviously his language is out of line and the coaches and players can be accused of being a little over the top with their celebrating and chanting and maybe even taunting at times.  But the only parent drama we saw last season was after they lost to the Outlaws and then every kid's dad suddenly becomes better than the current coaches.  That happens everywhere.

If you subtract the cussing, I really like how he handled the fight between the two players.  He made it clear that he's not going to stand for it and that stuff like that can tear apart a good team.  Very good message to send to kids.

He had one player unable to play because of concussions and he apparently made the kid a team captain.  I think he does a lot of good things, but it's difficult to see those things while navigating a minefield of F-bombs.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

On another note, did anybody watch that show right after it about the kid golfers?  Talk about some messed up parenting.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I really like how he handled the fight between the two players.  He made it clear that he's not going to stand for it and that stuff like that can tear apart a good team.  Very good message to send to kids.

--Maybe.  I don't get upset about my kids fighting each other.  They're in full gear and can't harm each other.  To me it's like crying.  I've seen a bunch of coaches get freaked out about crying; it's either "there's no crying in football!" (Why not?) OR, "Omigosh, Billy's crying!  We have to stop practice!"  (What for?). Crying is an extreme emotion and football is an extremely emotional game.

He had one player unable to play because of concussions and he apparently made the kid a team captain.

--When the cameras are on you, it's easy to be gracious when not in the heat of battle.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

On another note, did anybody watch that show right after it about the kid golfers?  Talk about some messed up parenting.

Saw the promo.  That was enough...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Mike, why do I get the feeling you have been saving this GIF for this exact moment.

J

Its how I am going to respond to the wave of FNT's Threads that are about to start.

I have more.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

So was that an improvement?

I have never seen the show.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I did not watch last season and saw episode 1 of season 2 tonight. I am conflicted. On one hand, I am concerned that people will think that is how we all do it. On the other, I would be pleased to have people see how good we are.

With all of the bad press football is getting, I think it hurts our message overall. Just another thing we have to educate parents about.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: