What does it take t...

Notifications
Clear all

What does it take to coach in your program?

Page 1 / 2

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

No matter who the coach is, both our program and the league we play in demand a few things from the coaches:

1-No coach or parent is allowed to be around the kids or on the football field unless they are fingerprinted and their background checks are approved by both the police and the town we play in.

2- No coach is allowed on the football field unless they are certified by USA Football.

3- All coaches must sign off on a Coaches Code of Conduct that includes being dismissed for many things, swearing, cheating and so forth.  Pretty much almost anything you see on FNT would be enough reason to be tossed from our league, lol. 

I demand all this from my coaches by June 1st because I am too busy in July to chase people around for all this stuff.

And that is just the top 3 things that have to happen before you could even step on the field or in a gym with our kids.  I have had parents approach me about coaching and after I tell them what is required, 9 out of 10 don't follow through with all that is needed, lol.  One time I had to turn a dad away because the police denied him because he served time for assault and his excuse to me was, that happened over 10 years ago, it doesn't matter now.  ???

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

No matter who the coach is, both our program and the league we play in demand a few things from the coaches:

1-No coach or parent is allowed to be around the kids or on the football field unless they are fingerprinted and their background checks are approved by both the police and the town we play in.

2- No coach is allowed on the football field unless they are certified by USA Football.

3- All coaches must sign off on a Coaches Code of Conduct that includes being dismissed for many things, swearing, cheating and so forth.  Pretty much almost anything you see on FNT would be enough reason to be tossed from our league, lol. 

I demand all this from my coaches by June 1st because I am too busy in July to chase people around for all this stuff.

And that is just the top 3 things that have to happen before you could even step on the field or in a gym with our kids.  I have had parents approach me about coaching and after I tell them what is required, 9 out of 10 don't follow through with all that is needed, lol.  One time I had to turn a dad away because the police denied him because he served time for assault and his excuse to me was, that happened over 10 years ago, it doesn't matter now.  ???

S

I think your list is becoming the Standard too include some kind of Concussion Awareness Training but I think that is now part of USA Football's certification.

The only difference is the Org's I have coached in would have called a meeting with the Coach that was denied. Old crimes are normally forgiven if the circumstance is explained. Plenty of Fathers out there that had a bit too much fun while single and in College kinds of things.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

S

I think your list is becoming the Standard too include some kind of Concussion Awareness Training but I think that is now part of USA Football's certification.

The only difference is the Org's I have coached in would have called a meeting with the Coach that was denied. Old crimes are normally forgiven if the circumstance is explained. Plenty of Fathers out there that had a bit too much fun while single and in College kinds of things.

We have talked about Concussion Awareness but I think that is also included in USA Football, I think?

Another thing we talk about but never put in was each coach knowing CPR.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

We require all of these plus everyone must be CPR certified.

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

-Rutgers SAFETY certified
-Heads Up certified
-CPR(Head coach)
and background check

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

What does it take to coach in your program?

A pulse and a sperm count high enough to have fathered one of the kids on the team.

We have a Code of Conduct form we have to sign as well, but it's never been referenced as far as I know.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
kerrdawg
(@kerrdawg)
Copper

We have to pass a background check and obtain a concussion training certificate from the NFHS website, at least that is what I'm told. Depending on your relationship to the board, all you have to do is show up and start making people run.

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

- Background Check (live-scan)
- USA Football Certified
- Code of Conduct
- First Aid & CPR Certified (Head Coach and at least one assistant)
- Risk Management class (Head Coach)
- Attendance at a clinic put on by our Conference (this varies a bit year-to-year)
- Heads Up trained

Our background check is done by the private school where we practice and play and is much more stringent that what is required by Pop Warner or any other organization that I am aware of.  You can have NOTHING on your record other than traffic violations (and not even those if they cross the line into being considered a crime, such as DUI - I'm not 100% sure where that line is drawn, but a simple speeding ticket is okay, whereas DUI or reckless driving I think is not).  So if you were convicted of drunk and disorderly conduct related to a fraternity prank when you were in college 30 years ago, you cannot coach in our program unless you spend about $3K-$5K to get it expunged off your record.  We've lost a number of really good coaches because they failed the background check over something relatively minor they did decades ago.  Very frustrating.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

The Warrior Football Club did a background check & gave us a morning's class consisting of videos from the NYSCA, and requires us to maintain NYSCA membership (for the insurance).  Gun Hill Youth Sports & Cheer, I don't recall.  North Bronx Youth Sports Ass'n just background check.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Our background check is done by the private school where we practice and play and is much more stringent that what is required by Pop Warner or any other organization that I am aware of.  You can have NOTHING on your record other than traffic violations (and not even those if they cross the line into being considered a crime, such as DUI - I'm not 100% sure where that line is drawn, but a simple speeding ticket is okay, whereas DUI or reckless driving I think is not).  So if you were convicted of drunk and disorderly conduct related to a fraternity prank when you were in college 30 years ago, you cannot coach in our program unless you spend about $3K-$5K to get it expunged off your record.  We've lost a number of really good coaches because they failed the background check over something relatively minor they did decades ago.  Very frustrating.

That makes me wonder what'd happen if they rejected you for such a reason, then you had it expunged & went back to them.  Meaning, are they more interested in what actually happened, or in what others could find if they checked?

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

That makes me wonder what'd happen if they rejected you for such a reason, then you had it expunged & went back to them.  Meaning, are they more interested in what actually happened, or in what others could find if they checked?

We've had a few guys with relatively minor stuff (drunk & disorderly, stuff like that) from a long time ago (15-20 years old) get the issue expunged from their record and then they were passed.  To answer your question directly, I don't think they really care at all about what actually happened, all they care about is what someone could find if they looked it up.  Being a private school that charges $31K+ annually for K-12 (could you imagine spending over $31K to send your kid to kindergarten??), they are very, very concerned with appearances and liability.  If something happened on their campus involving one of our coaches and there was something (anything) on that coach's background, they feel like they would get sued, so that coach is not allowed. I lost a guy who would have been a great coach last year - he wasn't willing to spend the money to get the issue expunged, so he went and coached (JV Def Coord) at one of our local high schools and did a great job.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Sometimes I ask myself the same question! 

However, NOT ON MY WATCH! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver

^^^^^^^^^

plus Darkness to Light training

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

A better question is how do you develop a coach in your program? If you don't whose fault is it?

Just Saying

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

A better question is how do you develop a coach in your program? If you don't whose fault is it?

Just Saying

That is true, every coach has their own ideas and schemes

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: