Notifications

What if ?  

RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 2, 2020 1:14 am  

So it seems the NBA is done with no champion. Same for the NHL.  MLB might play 80 games. The NFL looks safe....for now. NASCAR is toast. The PGA may play half their schedule but without The Masters why bother.  

All Spring youth sports are done for the season. All summer programs are getting cancelled left and right. People are cooped up and climbing the walls. 

What if kids and their Agents are so anxious and desperate just to get back into some sports action most all of them sign up for tackle football? Eureka!!!. Ten years of sliding off into the abyss and in one fell pandemic swoop.... we are back baby !

If everything happens for a reason...well? 

Hope everyone is healthy and ready to get back to some semblance of normal....whatever that might mean.  

OK...back to drinking. Someone told me alcohol kills virus's.  😎 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

C-Rob and 32wedge liked
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
May 3, 2020 12:44 pm  

Very valid point. I would love to see it. Unfortunately for my area there's fall baseball and that might get more flood than football we will see. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 3, 2020 3:56 pm  

What I'd like to see for precedent was any spiking of participation after the polio epidemics of the 20th Century.  I just don't see an easy way to put in search terms even in a natural language query for that; seems easier to ask people who might know.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 4, 2020 9:08 am  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

Unfortunately for my area there's fall baseball

Yep, Fall ball here, too.   We occasionally get a kid on the team that is doing both, causes a lot of frustration for us - and for the b-ball coaches - as well.  Kids flying back from b-ball games for the Football game, then leaving right afterward for another b-ball game... the times when I'm watching the parking lot for a kid to show-up and we kick-off in 10 minutes...  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
May 4, 2020 9:59 am  

You might be on to something there.  I would think that after being denied organized sports and having kids cooped up, people would sign their kids up in droves for any sport. The more families that think like this, the more will sign up for football. 

Unfortunately, I don't think this will be over until next Summer at the earliest and only then if we're lucky. Either the virus mutates itself out of existence or a vaccine becomes available. Both are out of our control. There are enough people among us who aren't doing the things that are within our control to nullify those of us who are.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 4, 2020 10:45 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Unfortunately, I don't think this will be over until next Summer at the earliest and only then if we're lucky. Either the virus mutates itself out of existence or a vaccine becomes available.

Or people wake up to the facts and figures, and realize isolating the entire population is worse than useless.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
May 13, 2020 1:35 pm  

That would be great. The numbers in Florida overall have always been pretty decent but with over saturation of teams and parents finding alternative activities, some of our age groups are struggling for numbers.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 13, 2020 1:51 pm  

Indiana has (tentatively) said sports may resume July 1st.   

We're expecting the League Board to set the combine and draft that week or the following.   Since we're not under the IHSAA rules, perhaps the last week of June.  

We'll see... 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
May 13, 2020 8:26 pm  

I have two big concerns this year since we live in a state that is still a hotspot and has a bill in committee to eliminate tackle football below 8th grade. The risk to fall football is very real and I am worried because:

1. We have some really good numbers already. Best in a while. We thwarted a play by our school trying to take away a grade to have a middle school team. Parents chose youth instead.

2. This is my son’s senior year of HS ball. His team should be contending for another conference title and maybe more with kids that I coached in 4th-8th grade. They have worked hard for their opportunity to play meaningful late season games, but it may not happen. 

I hope this gets back to normal very soon for all of us (and not just because of football).

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 13, 2020 10:32 pm  

The idea that a society can just wait out a pandemic is unfounded with a virus that's this contagious, this widely disseminated already, and kills so few that it infects.  The only way it's going to stop going around is for enough people to catch it.  Slowing that process down doesn't help unless it's to flatten the curve and leave enough facilities in intensive care for the fraction who get seriously ill from it.  We're already way beyond that point, and trying to push it down any more is either piling up a hump for later on, or rolling out the dough so flat we'll be talking about getting back to business for years.

Also, the population we're mostly discussing, that of children, is the ideal vehicle for spreading immunity thru society at hardly any risk to themselves.

ReplyQuote
Share: