Notifications
Clear all

What is your definition of Basics?

Page 1 / 4

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Recently I had to chance to coach with a HC of a team and the plan was to just join his staff because we get along and have the same ideals about wanting to win and be the very best. I am supposed to be the O line coach and I am asking the coach what scheme he wants to use and he says he just wants to keep things basic and doesn't want to talk to me about scheme. He feels I am just going to complicate things. I just want to teach the kids WHO to block as well as HOW. Because to me that is basic, knowing how and who. Maybe I am overcomplicating things? I don't know. I just know if I don't coach with this team, the chances are I won't be coaching this year and I don't know if I could live with that. Thanks again for all your help.

PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

sounds like "just wants to keep things basic" = "block someone".

IMO, this doesn't sound like a good start...

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

sounds like "just wants to keep things basic" = "block someone".

IMO, this doesn't sound like a good start...

-Craig

I understand we are 9U and the need to keep it as simple as possible but I feel the kids need to know who to block, not just how.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I understand we are 9U and the need to keep it as simple as possible but I feel the kids need to know who to block, not just how.

You are absolutely right. Basics are both whom to block and how to block them. A scheme is merely a plan to account for every defender in the box.

I coached my first two seasons under a guy who's philosophy was word for word what your HC said. I don't know what your guy's deal is, but my guy was a combination of ignorant, intimidated and lazy. 4-4 the first season, 0-8 the second and yes, it was every bit as bad as you can possibly imagine.

I don't think 9U has anything to do with it. There is nothing in my head that is beyond what a 9 year old is capable of learning when it comes to offensive line.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

My HC has been successful in the past. Last year he coached the 6U flag team to the championship and he says he has coached tackle in the past. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around his definition of the basics. I just can't see how knowing who to block is not part of the basics, whether the kids have played or not. I also get the feeling that I am trying to come off as smarter than him or trying to show him I have more knowledge than he does. I am not, I am just trying to have him show me what his scheme is.

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze

...he says he just wants to keep things basic...

=  Keep it to a level I can understand

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

The crazy part is I get do things slow. Don't teach too much. But I don't understand why an OC/HC can't tell his o line coach how he wants certain plays blocked.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I am just trying to have him show me what his scheme is.

Oh, he's already shown you that. It's "no scheme". Now, it's up to you to tiptoe and put your scheme in. Part of that is being patient to see what his offense is. Then, you can unobtrusively help the line figure out whom to block.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

The crazy part is I get do things slow. Don't teach too much. But I don't understand why an OC/HC can't tell his o line coach how he wants certain plays blocked.

They dont know either. I'd start with a simple angle block scheme and if he asks why then just explain to him that its simple physics.

The biggest problem you are going to face is who are the Backs blocking. They have no plan for that either...guaranteed. So....I'd give them one.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

It sounds like he doesn't understand how blocking or OL play work.

He wants to keep it simple, but he doesn't understand that without a some kind of scheme for the OL they will just be lost.

Winning in 6U flag is great... but it has very little to do with tackle football and NOTHING to do with blocking.

This is either going to be one long season or this is your chance to just teach them how to block the plays as best you can until he tells you something different.

I've coached OL under guys like this and it was NOT fun.  They're the type that give out a "playbook" that has all the plays drawn up against the same exact defense without the OL doing anything, and they teach verbiage to keep things super simple for the backs and receivers but are confusing as can be for the OL.

Ask him to draw up the plays he wants you to run with the OL and then see what rules you can can come up with and just teach that.  Teach an off tackle scheme, an inside scheme, and an outside scheme with maybe a pass protection.  Honestly, it's not what an assistant should do, but when working for a HC like this it's best to not even ask a guy like this for input unless absolutely necessary because it'll just make him feel uncomfortable and he'll throw a bunch of incoherent BS at you and change it all the time.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I talked to him after both of us had a time to cool down and from what he is telling me, his backs will mostly be blocking the backers unless the O line doesn't do their job, then they block the first guy in the wrong color shirt. I feel a lot better because even though he didn't tell me the exact scheme, I have an idea of what he is thinking/looking for. So for now I am going to focus on BoB blocking and go from there.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

When people offer, "They're only (blank) years old, so I just want to keep it simple" it's because they don't know schemes or how to teach them.  It's the same reason fundamentals don't get taught.  I have never given a clinic to ANY age group and wondered if they could understand it, because I already knew how to teach it.  Ask any coach (who knows his stuff) if he worries whether he could teach his scheme to a certain age group and he'll say "no."  He may have to make certain adjustments for the age group, but he's not going to "blame the kids" by implying/saying they can't learn this.  That excuse is only offered by adults who don't know how to teach.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I also get the feeling that I am trying to come off as smarter than him or trying to show him I have more knowledge than he does. I am not, I am just trying to have him show me what his scheme is.

Trust me.  You are smarter than him.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I don't understand why an OC/HC can't tell his o line coach how he wants certain plays blocked.

Because he has no idea.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Winning in 6U flag is great... but it has very little to do with tackle football and NOTHING to do with blocking.

Thank you, Coach.  I wanted to say the same thing but didn't want any flag coaches feeling like I'm denigrating what they do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: