Clear all

Why Are You Coaching...

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

...and what do you bring to the table?

Quote from: coacho on Today at 08:38:05 AM
The WHY is so important! For when you know your WHY, the HOW becomes clear and gets easier! Just an additional thought!

I'm hoping that this thread will share some positivity in not only the reason(s) that you coach, but also what you bring to the table in how you choose to positively influence your players. 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I coach simply because there is nothing else I'd rather do. Raising my son and daughter has been the greatest joy of my life. Now that they are grown, perhaps coaching serves to fill that gap?

What do I bring to the table? I try to bring a heart that is pure. Whatever my flaws are as a man, whatever has been weighing on me off the field, I try to leave that behind for 2 hours, 4 times a week. I feel that if I start there, everything else is just details. If I bring a pure heart, then there is a perfect contract, a perfect agreement between men (young and old). "You do your best and I'll do mine."

It's weird to go back and read that, but I'm going to leave it like it is. It's weird because not too long ago, I was less than satisfied with coaching. It took a tragedy for me to wake up and realize what is really important about coaching. I fucked up and I'll never make the mistake of taking this for granted again.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

I am admitted and loud and proud sexist. I believe men and boys. I enjoy the opportunity to work with the boys. What our society is trying to do to masulinity pizzes me  off. And the greatest revenge I can get is influencing boys in what it really means to be a man. And love football.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Not sure exactly why I coach anymore. For me its always been a fun hobby and something to do with family and friends. I love the game and enjoy teaching others how to love it as well.

What I bring to the table anymore is experience. A sense of calm and confidence. I can boot up the past and apply what I have learned to the present so things roll along more smoothly.

I dont get butterflies before games anymore even if its a championship. Someone told me thats a sign to retire.

I used to do it because it was something really fun I could do with my son. After his death I had a good friend tell me I should continue on because if I dont then it would be like we both died.

My youngest grandson is starting up next Fall....so one more run for me at least. That is if I can convince my dang Daughter to let him play. She is fearing football right now but then again one spider sighting and her day is ruined.  😛

Good question though...one I really cant clearly answer.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

My father was a coach, he always said he was happiest when coaching. I started coaching to find an identity as a young man. It then became who I am.

What I have learned is that over a long career I have influenced a lot of lives. Many of my players are now men with families. I speak to men who played for me, some where stars, many weren't. They tell me how I influenced their lives by seeing things in them no one else ever did. After all is said & done the Championship have been great, but the players even better.

I still get a thrill coaching a game. Any game, could be a Spring Game or a Playoff Game. There is something special about that look, that feel, that energy, that only happens on Game Day/Nite.

Since my players trust in me is absolute, I owe it to them to be the best I can be. That is why I work so hard.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Because i love the process and it is who and what i am. My father was a  Head Coach at Vasity level and i was born into this life and wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I love all aspect's of it and enjoy the challenge of bringing different groups of kid's together and teaching them how to operate together within the structure. I'm  sure never having a losing season is part of why i love this so much but i really couldn't imagine life without Coaching .

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold

Part of it has to do with doing something that I thought I should have been doing 40 years ago. I love coaching. I love mentoring the kids.I know I bring a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of motivation. Because I started coaching so late in my life, I'm still learning quite a lot as I go as well. As I learn, the kids learn. And hopefully, after I've passed on, the kids will be better for having known me.

ReplyQuote
CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

I've got two boys and I started coaching 10 years ago by process of elimination.  I'd watched a few local practices and saw firsthand the “5 yards and a cloud of dust” youth football stereotype.  Lots of hollering, lots of Oklahoma drill.  Not a lot of coaching. Well, not any real coaching. “C’mon, Johnny! Make better decisions!” doesn’t tell a kid how to do a damn thing.  I respect any man willing to volunteer 5+ months of his life to herding kids around a patch of grass, but there’s a difference between being a chaperone and being a coach.  And, speaking candidly, most youth coaches are just chaperones, even if they don't know it.

So, coaching started for me as a selfish way to shape the environment where my kids would learn discipline, teamwork, and the game of football (and learn them in that order).  I stuck with it because I enjoyed it.  Looking back, I also saw the early warning signs of what we have today -- a generation of entitled, self-indulgent kids (each with a mom on the Board and a dad who head-coached).  It disgusted me. 

I'm sure it's a generational thing, but I see too many folks get lost trying to make “fun” the center of the universe for kids.  I don’t view fun and discipline as two things in tension that need to be balanced.  Football is a game, and games are fun. But even a funhouse has concrete under the floor.  At the end of the day, I continue to coach because I see value in getting kids to see beyond what's simply fun about sports.  Fun is short-lived and momentary.  Fun is easily obtained.  Kids don’t need coaches to have fun. A kid can pick up a stick in the backyard and scare up plenty of fun on his own. 

On the other hand, experiencing the contest, challenge, and camaraderie of sports is impactful and long-lasting.  I want my players to know what it means to set and achieve big goals; to collaborate and have success; to play the game between their ears and trust that working hard is a good strategy even when the payoff isn't instant or obvious (“wax on, wax off”).  Etc.  These are things from which kids can draw satisfaction, and that's different than fun.  Maybe it's different where I am, but this sort of thing seems to be in short supply until kids get to high school (and sometimes not even then).

As far as what I bring to the table, I don't always do the right thing but I rededicate myself daily to being committed, organized, accountable, and keeping my kids engaged.  Keeping minds and bodies engaged, especially young ones, takes a titanic effort even when you have good assistant coaches.  I also work hard on:

• Communication.  There's always a better way to close the gap between what I say and do and what my players see and hear.  I work hard to find it.
  • Execution.  Too many coaches focus on strategy, not tactics.  I'm an operations guy and I take a reductionist approach to football, even when it contradicts traditional thinking.
  • Thickskin.  Coaching isn't a pageant.  Parental anger and delusion is part of the deal.  It doesn't affect me.  My universe includes me and the coaches and the kids and that's it.
  • Memories.  Trophies are cool, but I want kids who play for me to leave with more than a plastic totem. I want them leaving with callouses and scars to remind them of the experience.  That means working hard to make sure every season is memorable.  Lots of eating together, hotels for road games, fun and fellowship outside of practice, team photographers at every game, a video yearbook after every season, etc.  This stuff is run of the mill in high school, but seems to be rare in youth sports.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I coach because it's some of the most fun I've had in this century.

Some of it is, viewed uncharitably, being like Dr. T. in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T: getting a bunch of kids to act out my conception.  Or as Walter Camp wrote, playing chess w human pieces.

Children are great to work with.  They brighten the whole environment more than the same # of adults would.

What feels the best of all are those times one of them is crying or otherwise despondent about losing in a game or doing badly in practice, talking to them a little, & getting them to stop crying or being sad.  That's joy in a small, rapid delivery package.  I enjoy getting the kids to progress in their skills too, but that's something that can be observed only over much longer, usually weeks, so it's not the rush the frowning-to-smiling experience is.  I also appreciate hearing from parents who think I've been doing so much for their child; little do they realize I'm getting what I think is the best of the bargain.

What I bring to the table is enthusiasm, knowledge gained by a variety of means, & some teaching ability -- though much less of the latter than I wish I had by this time.  My patience & sense of humor help a lot.  My perception is only so-so; keeps improving, but it's still weak & slow compared to what I gather many coaches pick up w their eyes in a short time, so it always feels great those rare times when I detect something that escapes another coach.

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

After 43 years I bring the pure enjoyment of the process, the kids, the competition, the excitement and the appreciation to develop these gifts parents allow us to influence! I can't remember a day that I didn't want to go to practice or a game. When kids come into our program my goal is to take them to the next level of their life. It may be in football, school or just relationships. To do this I learn as much as I can about my players. I ask questions or just sit down after practice and talk to the kid. Just some thoughts and like reading what other have to say! As Always - KEEPJETTIN!

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Why coach?

Many reasons:
-I love my players and want to see them succeed
-I love the game of football
-I am competitive and driven and coaching allows me to harness that in a positive way
-I  wasn't allowed to participate in sports as a child and coaching allows me to participate now
-I am very good at it ;D

"...and what do you bring to the table?"

-I love my players and want to see them succeed
-I love the game of football
-I am competitive and driven and coaching allows me to harness that in a positive way
-I am very good at it ;D

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Not sure why I coach.  My guess is that it is in your DNA.  When I played sports as a kid, I gravitated to understanding the game and how it should be played.  I was that kid that was explaining to the other kids on the side what we should be doing, probably because it helped me understand and I wanted to always get better.

I got into coaching when I was in college and enjoyed that, but it was not my career choice.  Once I had kids, I could either sit on the sidelines and think in my head that I could do better than the coach that was there or I could get involved.  I got involved in all my kids sports with the exception of wrestling because I had no clue what to do and my son only wrestled for a year or two.  Over time, I have always found that I have gotten more out of it than I gave.  Seeing kids mature, learn and succeed (and fail) has been rewarding for me.  When that stops, then I will stop (although I see a break in the action for a couple of years).

What I bring to the table is that I try hard and I put in the effort.  If I don't know something, I learn it.  I don't think that I know everything, so it is a constant effort.  I think that I am pretty good at motivating kids to do what I want them to do and do it in a way that they enjoy it. I know that I am better at that than I was originally. 

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

I find it to be an honor and privilege to coach. The relationships I make with my football team is priceless. I have become the coach for kids who would not have a chance on other teams. I want to build them to be good football players. None of this game is about me and it hurts when I can't lead them to success. The absolute joy watching players succeed in something they fight for is the most rewarding thing in the world. I would love for them to win, but there is so much more to it than just winning. The lack of winning has caused me to start new every year. It hurts to lose players to other teams, but I still enjoy when they succeed. My will, accountability, determination, loyalty, and amnesia are probably the best things I bring to the table.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Share: